1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fascinating Piece By Greg Cosell

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Da 'Fins, Mar 21, 2013.

1. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Yes, but with 5 picks in the first 3 rounds I don't think you go into a draft with that myopic of a vision.

ToddPhin likes this.
  2. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

The Seahawks players aren't really that small though. They're just freakish in their athleticism for their size. They have LB sized players who run like CB's. They have LB's who can cover well, and a power run game doesn't favor the edges so you're running into the 300+ pound Mebane and Bryant.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  3. DearbornDolfan

DearbornDolfan Active Member

Mar 7, 2009
    You can run a read off one of the defensive tackles. Generally speaking you run the read off the most dangerous athlete on the line, so as to take him out of the play without occupying a blocker.

4. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Good point.

Just look at the LB's that we just signed like Wheeler. These guys aren't big, by any means. But, Wheeler is 6'2, 240 and when you look at his body it looks like he's a DB or WR. Guys can be athletic and carry more weight these days (which was part of my point).

Seattle has not gone for massive size but for great athleticism without giving up major size. And, really, where do you need a ton of size on D except in the two DTs and some strength among the LB's (the Steelers front 7 in recent years, when in their prime, had one LB at 260 the rest in the 240's and a couple of big DTs - really one well over 300 - with one about 285 and they handled the run pretty well).

5. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    What "strength" at receiver WADR? We have Mike Wallace and a few guys who would be fourth & fifth on Green Bay's depth chart. It's an admirable group but it's by no means a strength IMO. If the goal is to make the receiving corpse a strength then it still needs a finishing touch, which would be Tavon Austin.

ssmiami likes this.
  6. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I'm not sure what Gibson has to do with anything. He's a backup. We signed St Louis's 3rd best receiving to boost the depth of our corps. What we've yet to do is address slot receiver, which could very well see the most action of any receiver in this system if he's a dynamic player in the Cobb, Harvin, Austin mold.

7. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    Outside the box my friend. That is the thinking. That is why there has been discussion about the front office attempting to go into the draft with "few" perceived needs so they could take best players.

8. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    All this talk about Tavon Austin is wonderful, but I'm not so sure the best mismatch player in this draft, and the best one in terms of Ryan Tannehill's development, isn't Tyler Eifert. This team still needs a tall receiver who can snag the jump ball down the middle of the field and be a threat in the red zone, and I'd be interested to see just how much Marcus Thigpen can do for this team in the supposed "Tavon Austin" role. He may not be as athletic as Austin, but I'm not so sure that role needs such extreme athleticism for it to have the intended effect on the field.

Plus, I think the Gronkowski/Hernandez-type flexibility Eifert would bring with Keller would be more valuable and stress opposing defenses a great deal more than whatever difference Austin would create over and above Thigpen.

eltos_lightfoot and mi2cents like this.