1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fantasy Team, What Do You Think?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football' started by rdhstlr23, Aug 24, 2008.

Tags:
  1. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I've seen a lot of these things. I thought it'd be fun to read everyone's take.

Let me give you some background. This is our 2nd season. It's me and 11 of my friends (12 person league). It's a 3 Man Keeper League. I kept Steven Jackson, Larry Johnson, and Wes Welker. I traded for Jackson and Johnson last year when they were injured, because my team was awful and I had no keepers. Hopefully it pays off.

Here is the format (a lot different).

(2) QB's-- 6 pts TD, -3 INT, 1 pt for 25 pass yds, 1 pt 10 rush yd, -1 Sack
    -1 Fumble, -1 Fumble Lost, 2 pts 2 pt conversion, 2 pts 300 yds, 4 pts 400 yds, 8 pts 500 yds
    (2) RB's-- 6 pts TD, 1 pt 10 rush yds, 1 pt 10 rec yds, 2 pts 2 pt conversion, -1 Fumble, -1 Fumble lost, 2 pts 100 yds rush, 4 pts 150 yds rush, 8 pts 200 yd rush
    (3) WR's-- same as RB except you get pts for KR/PR duties: 6 pts KR/PR TD, 1 pt for every 50 return yards
    (1) TE-- same as WR/RB
    (1) Flex: WR/RB-- same
    (1) DEF-- standard, except you get points for ST's, i.e KR/PR duties
    (1) K-- standard, except you get minus points for PAT's missed and Kicks that are 40 yds or less.

I love our set-up, I'm the commisioner. It brings so many other players into play, for example guys like Devin Hester and Ted Ginn are draftable players, usually middle round guys--higher than most. You have strategize w/ QB's. You really need 3 with the bye weeks. That means 4 teams will have to find a way to get a QB. Other teams will be stuck, like me last year w/ John Beck, you have to make the decision to start a weak fantasy option at QB, or not play anyone, etc.

So, without further adieu here is my team, let me know your thoughts. I think I'm weak.

QB: Ben Roethlisberger
    QB: Jon Kitna
    QB: Chad Pennington
    QB: J.T. O'Sullivan
    RB: Steven Jackson (Keeper)
    RB: Larry Johnson (Keeper)
    RB: Edgerrin James (I'll use him as my Flex more than likely)
    RB: Steve Slaton
    WR: Wes Welker (Keeper)
    WR: Ted Ginn
    WR: Issac Bruce
    WR: Jabar Gaffney
    WR: Bernard Berrian
    WR: Derrick Mason
    TE: Chris Cooley
    DEF: Philadelphia
    K: Kris Brown

I think my RB/Flex situation is strong. Very strong in comparisons to the league. I really need to settle my QB2 situation. As you can see my WR situation could get ugly. Ted Ginn will get me solid points because of KR/PR duties. Wes Welker is strong, but I'm pretty weak other than those two. I need some guys to step up.

Well what are you thoughts?

2. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    The WR's certainly look ugly. I would really try to find a suitable trade maybe a QB for a serviceable starter there.

3. rdhstlr23

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I know. If I could get another #1 WR Fantasy option I'd feel great. Then again, if I have a QB2 fantasy option pan out, that would ease that burden a bit. Having unstability at the QB2 position and WR1/2 position could hurt.

4. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Agree with Regan. WR's are just bad past Ginn and Welker. The good news is that every year a few wr's break through for decent seasons along the lines of 900/5tds which is fine if you can find a suitable primary guy

5. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    That's definitely a weak team. Your glaring weaknesses are at WR, but when you think about it, your RBs are poor as well. Steven Jackson? Missed all of training camp; history shows that holdouts perform very badly. Just look at 2007 Larry Johnson... which segues into 2008 Larry Johnson: he's not the same running behind that decimated Chiefs OL. No Roaf and Shields means no production. And I love Edge, but Tim Hightower is going to vulture him.

Also, Welker may possibly have cracked ribs.

6. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Disagree on LJ. I think hes in for a comeback year. hes talented and tough. he finally has competent backups to keep him fresh. 1300 and 12 TDs.

7. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Disagree on Steven Jackson as well. He's just too productive and gets too many carries.

8. rdhstlr23

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    While I definitely think I'm weak. I just don't think I have an issue with my RB problem. The way your evaluating and nit-picking those things, you could find issues with every fantasy player.

With that said, you've found issues with two of the most productive fanstasy players--if healthy.

While I do expect Hightower to get some touches, mostly in the red zone, I don't see it taking so much away. I think I'll see 1,100 yards and 5 TDs at worst from Edgerrin James. For a Flex position, I'll take that!

As for WR's, they're weak. No doubt about it. But I always find that I can get some waiver wire/FA guy that fills in admirably and helps me out. If I play my cards right, my matchups right, then I can get solid production from Welker, Ginn, Mason, Berrian, Bruce, etc. especially taking into account all the production involved from KR/PR duties.

Welker's cracked ribs don't bother me, I have Jabar Gaffney on my bench. No matter who is playing, who is healthy, I have guy that gets 1,000 yards and 10 TDs. They throw the ball too damn much.

But you're right it's weak. I'm good enough for Top 6 to get into the playoffs based on the strength of my RB's and QBs I believe.

9. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I just think picks in the top 2-3 rounds should be used on players with as few problems, real or potential, as possible. To me, that means round 1 targets include Westbrook, Addai, Portis, and Lynch. Round 2 involves guys like Owens, Fitzgerald, maybe Romo or Brees at the bottom. Round 3, Maurice Jones-Drew, TJ Whosyourmamma, Marques Colston, maybe even Ryan Grant.

When the fantasy season started, I craved Steven Jackson. I thought he was a better pick than even Adrian Peterson, who I had at #4. I had Larry Johnson around #12. That's all changed. If you think it's nitpicking, you're welcome to, but just as in the real draft, you need to hit on those early picks.

10. rdhstlr23

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Totally agree. I have to hit and last year I didn't. Steven Jackson, Larry Johnson, and Wes Welker were all keepers for me last year. I won't even go into last year's draft because it was awful.

I still crave Steven Jackson. Even with an injury and missed time last year, he was a nice option (I traded for him when hurt, knowing I'd keep him for next year, same with LJ--I wasn't in the running for the playoffs).

While Westbrook is great and I'd love him on my team, he he's never played a full season. That's definitely a concern.

Joseph Addai only played 15 games last year and had an injury. His numbers and potential to me don't rival Stephen Jackson's...not close.

Portis has the mileage.

All three guys are guys I'd take on my team in a heartbeat, but I don't see how those concerns are any less than Steven Jackson having to get the rust off. That will take him a quarter. He'll be just fine. Same with LJ in my estimations, they will run the entire offense through him.

Ryan Grant and TJ Whosyamomma were on the board in our 1st round (really 4th after the Keepers), but I chose Roethlisberger. There would be a run on QBs and my next pick was 23. Roethlisberger was easily the 2nd best player left on the board in terms of our fantasy points, behind Favre. I like my Top 4. I just need some help from my WRs. Hopefully Cooley can have a nice year to help that.

11. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Has more to do with physical conditioning and being ready to play football, less to do with rust. Steven Jackson is this year's Larry Johnson. Remember LJ's big holdout?

12. rdhstlr23

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I wouldn't go as far as saying he's this year's LJ. You see some backs who don't get hit a lot to begin with anyways. I think he can get that physical conditioning back. Guys like Fred Taylor and LT don't do much in TC or play in the games, I think Jackson will be fine.

Good point about the possibility to start slow though.

LJ first 3 games:

10/43 0 TD
    16/55 0 TD
    23/42 0 TD

His last 4 games:

25/123 0 TD
    9/12
    31/119 1 TD
    24/112 1 TD

Was getting it going until being injured against GB in Week 9.

Steven Jackson faces some tough run defenses in the first 4 weeks too, Eagles, Giants, Seahawks, and Bills. I still think he puts up 1,400 yds rush, 10 TDs and 700 more yds rec. with another 3 TDs rec.

13. rdhstlr23

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    A little update here on my team.

I'm going into Week 5 with a record of 2-2.

MY RB's are clearly my strength--S.Jackson, L.Johnson, E.James, S.Slaton. I'm trying to deal one (E.James)

I'm getting some real inconsistent play at the QB position, mostly due to the fact that 3 of my QBs lead hte league in getting sacked (-1 pt). Roethlisberger hasn't done much the last 2 weeks. Kitna has struggled and O'Sullivan has been up and down. Pennington has played fairly even keel, but with him, you just know you're not going to get that great fantasy performance (if you're wondering why I have 4 QBs, again it's bc we start 2 every week and w/ the bye you need 3). I'm hoping to deal one, but not getting many bites, which is disappointing. With that said, if I match them up correctly, I'd have won every single one of my H-2-H matchups.

MY WR's which were clearly my low-point have held it together. Between W.Welker, D.Mason, I.Bruce, and B.Berrian, I haven't gotten many TDs (except Bruce), but I consistently get 6-8 pts from rec. yards. Ted Ginn has been disappointing. The fact he hasn't returned kicks has KILLED me.

Chris Cooley at TE has hurt. He simply hasn't put up the numbers I thought he would. Not to mention I passed up A.Fasano bc I believed Cooley was the better long-term option at TE. Then again, maybe I could have dropped Ginn for Fasano.

Rian Lindell has been solid at K. Also, Philadelphia and Buffalo's D/ST have been very good also.

The surprises of I.Bruce, S.Slaton, and J.T. O'Sullivan have helped out the disappointing play of B.Roethlisberger, W.Welker, and T.Ginn.

14. rdhstlr23

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Update:

Just made two deals.

Traded Away: Steven Jackson
    Traded For: Hines Ward, Jason Campbell

Traded Away: Derrick Mason, Jon Kitna
    Traded For: Julius Jones

Here's what my lineup will look like.

QB: Ben Roethlisberger
    QB: Jason Campbell
    RB: Larry Johnson
    RB: Julius Jones
    WR: Hines Ward
    WR: Wes Welker
    WR: Issac Bruce
    TE: Chris Cooley
    RB/WR: Steve Slaton/Edgerrin James
    K: Rian Lindell
    DEF: Philadelphia/Buffalo
    Bench: Edgerrin James/Steve Slaton
    Bench: Bernard Berrian
    Bench: J.T. O'Sullivan
    Bench: Chad Pennington
    Bench: Buffalo/Philadelphia

15. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I dont mind the Jones trade. But that SJ trade was a bad bad idea IMO. I'm in the same situation as you are at TE. Fasano is starting in place of Cooley until further notice.

16. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Ugh, my trade proposals are getting denied faster then Calista Flockheart at a chubby chaser convention.

17. rdhstlr23

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    You think? The way I see it, is that if Jackson scores 300 points (which I don't believe he will), Ward and Campbell will both get 150 each, which equals it out. Not to mention I'm getting 2 players at positions of need, and I get to keep another player and not give up a 1st round pick to keep Jackson.

As it stands, Campbell has 60 pts, Ward 45 pts and Jackson 55 pts. The way I look at it I'm trading away 55 points for 105 points and both of those players will be starters for me.

We'll see.

18. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I dont have a ton of faith in Campbell yet but he could pan out aright. Its Ward that concerns me with how bad off Ben is and all of Pit's injuries on offense.