Fans

21 replies

SWSwampfoxNew MemberOP
Dec 31, 2007, 02:44 PM

I don't know about anyone else but I am tired of seeing pics of fans with paper bags over their heads. The first time it was funny ,but now it's irritating. Lets be adult about this and support our team like true fans.

SuperMarksBros.SuperMarksBros.Forum Veteran
Dec 31, 2007, 02:45 PM

why not allow fans to express their displeasure with this organization as they choose?

"Best feeling in the world, when I'd call out the play the other team was about to run and see the look on their faces." ---Zach Thomas

like2godlike2godLuxury Box
Dec 31, 2007, 02:45 PM

I don't like it either, but there's nothing that we can do about it. Everybody deals with losing in their own way, some are supportive and some wear bags on their head.


I love you Mom, you are the greatest woman that I've ever known.

PAPassrusherNew Member
Dec 31, 2007, 02:56 PM

Well if we start winning and become a playoff team again then you won't see people wearing bags on their heads. It's as simple as that.

Football is the ONLY sport

like2godlike2godLuxury Box
Dec 31, 2007, 03:00 PM

"Passrusher wrote:

Well if we start winning and become a playoff team again then you won't see people wearing bags on their heads. It's as simple as that.

Isn't that a touch on the "bandwagon-ish" side though? You either support your team or you don't.


I love you Mom, you are the greatest woman that I've ever known.

PAPassrusherNew Member
Dec 31, 2007, 03:04 PM

I don't wear a bag on my head but the people who do ARE at the game! So they are supporting the team in a way.

Football is the ONLY sport

like2godlike2godLuxury Box
Dec 31, 2007, 03:09 PM

"Passrusher wrote:

I don't wear a bag on my head but the people who do ARE at the game! So they are supporting the team in a way.

Sorry, I wasn't directing the comment at you, just the question.

Umm...but what does wearing the bag do exactly? What results do the bag wearers hope to get from it? I doubt it fills the players with confidence when they look up at the stands and see a half empty stadium, and the ones that do show up have bags on their head. I'm sure the FO already knows that the fans aren't happy when they go 1-15 and the stadium has more rival fans than home fans.

So what does it accomplish exactly?


I love you Mom, you are the greatest woman that I've ever known.

general tsogeneral tsoNew Member
Dec 31, 2007, 03:30 PM

"like2god wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't directing the comment at you, just the question.

Umm...but what does wearing the bag do exactly? What results do the bag wearers hope to get from it? I doubt it fills the players with confidence when they look up at the stands and see a half empty stadium, and the ones that do show up have bags on their head. I'm sure the FO already knows that the fans aren't happy when they go 1-15 and the stadium has more rival fans than home fans.

So what does it accomplish exactly?

How do you propose letting the Dolphins organization know you're unhappy with the product they're putting on the field? If you oppose what other fans are doing, propose what they should be doing. Or do you think a "fan" shouldn't ever voice their displeasure with what's happened to the team they love?

like2godlike2godLuxury Box
Dec 31, 2007, 03:47 PM

"general tso wrote:

How do you propose letting the Dolphins organization know you're unhappy with the product they're putting on the field? If you oppose what other fans are doing, propose what they should be doing. Or do you think a "fan" shouldn't ever voice their displeasure with what's happened to the team they love?

It's fine to boo, it's fine to not attend and it's fine to complain on an internet board. I just don't see the logic in wearing a bag on your head, further humiliating the players and the organization. JMO though

I've learned that there are some people here that are okay with stoning the rivals team bus, so nothing surprises me anymore.


I love you Mom, you are the greatest woman that I've ever known.

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Dec 31, 2007, 04:23 PM

I hate it. I feel its a stab in the back. personally if you feel ashamed I think you should go root for someone else



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

#1dolphinsfan#1dolphinsfanNew Member
Dec 31, 2007, 04:26 PM

"SuperMarksBros. wrote:

why not allow fans to express their displeasure with this organization as they choose?

if u are not ashamed of your team u like u them u will not put a papper back over ur head and if u are ashamed go root for the pats or someone u wouldnt have to were a paper bag there i am happy to be a dolphin fan i were my stuff ever where i go and i am not ashamed

kadiddlehopperkadiddlehopperNew Member
Jan 1, 2008, 06:21 AM

"like2god wrote:

Umm...but what does wearing the bag do exactly?

Tells the losers they suck and as fans we ain't happy campers!

SGsgtphinNew Member
Jan 1, 2008, 07:30 AM

Maybe they're wanted felons and also happen to be 'Phinfans? Personally, I just think it's a very juvenile thing to do, but that's just my opinion.

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
- P.J. O'Rourke

FanMarinoFanMarinoNew Member
Jan 1, 2008, 07:35 AM

They are paying money for their tickets so they have just as much right to do/say whatever they like IMO. Sticking a bag on ones head is better than booing the players during a game IMO. If the team started to play well during the game the bags will come off anyway so its no big deal.

phinfanukphinfanukNew Member
Jan 1, 2008, 08:16 AM

Well, just my opinion but, Miami fans are notoriously bad for turning on the team. It's hard for anybody to win over our fans. IT just seems to me that wearing a bag on your head is counter productive. If I was a player and I saw that I would feel pretty let down, I'd be pissed.

Phinfanuk

like2godlike2godLuxury Box
Jan 1, 2008, 08:51 AM

"FanMarino wrote:

They are paying money for their tickets so they have just as much right to do/say whatever they like IMO. Sticking a bag on ones head is better than booing the players during a game IMO. If the team started to play well during the game the bags will come off anyway so its no big deal.

I've had this conversation on this board before and was horrified by what Miami fans felt was "their right".

Because you pay for a ticket, does that give you the right to yell obcenities towards the field, disrupting other fans that also payed the price of admission and don't want their kids to hear "**** you Ca-moron, you ****ing ****sucker"?

Because you pay for the ticket, does that mean that you can throw thigns onto the field or at the team buses?

Because you pay for the ticket, does that mean that rules and manners don't apply to you?

The price of admission gives you the right to a reserved seat, it doesn't give one the right to make themselves a part of the game with rude and inappropriate behavior or endanger the safety of others. Just curious how far you feel you can go because you payed for a ticket. Like I said, there are people here that felt it was okay to throw rocks and bottles onto the field and at the team buses, among other things.


I love you Mom, you are the greatest woman that I've ever known.

SuperMarksBros.SuperMarksBros.Forum Veteran
Jan 1, 2008, 09:28 AM

"#1dolphinsfan wrote:

if u are not ashamed of your team u like u them u will not put a papper back over ur head and if u are ashamed go root for the pats or someone u wouldnt have to were a paper bag there i am happy to be a dolphin fan i were my stuff ever where i go and i am not ashamed

what?

"Best feeling in the world, when I'd call out the play the other team was about to run and see the look on their faces." ---Zach Thomas

general tsogeneral tsoNew Member
Jan 1, 2008, 10:10 AM

"phinfanuk wrote:

Well, just my opinion but, Miami fans are notoriously bad for turning on the team. It's hard for anybody to win over our fans. IT just seems to me that wearing a bag on your head is counter productive. If I was a player and I saw that I would feel pretty let down, I'd be pissed.

No, it's not hard to win over our fans. Just win! It's that simple. Miami puts a winning team on the field, no more paper bags. Play well, no more booing.

Kansas City has arguably the best fan support in the NFL and guess what many fans did in their last home games, they wore paper bags over their heads and held up signs asking for Peterson and Edwards to get canned. That kind of stuff happens in every NFL city when the team has 12+ losses despite preseason or early season playoff hopes.

I think Miami's problems run a bit deeper than fans paying to attend the game and cheering for their team, but happen to be wearing paper bags on their heads to show that they're not happy with the team. I'd look towards the crappy teams we're putting on the field and the empty seats, not the filled ones.

general tsogeneral tsoNew Member
Jan 1, 2008, 10:13 AM

"phinfanuk wrote:

Well, just my opinion but, Miami fans are notoriously bad for turning on the team. It's hard for anybody to win over our fans. IT just seems to me that wearing a bag on your head is counter productive. If I was a player and I saw that I would feel pretty let down, I'd be pissed.

Perhaps our players should spend less time looking in the stands and more time figuring out how to win football games? It's their poor play that brought out the paper bags in the first place.

If I were them, I'd be more let down by the thousands of empty seats than the dozens of paper bags.

FanMarinoFanMarinoNew Member
Jan 1, 2008, 10:39 AM

"like2god wrote:

I've had this conversation on this board before and was horrified by what Miami fans felt was "their right".

Because you pay for a ticket, does that give you the right to yell obcenities towards the field, disrupting other fans that also payed the price of admission and don't want their kids to hear "**** you Ca-moron, you ****ing ****sucker"?

Because you pay for the ticket, does that mean that you can throw thigns onto the field or at the team buses?

Because you pay for the ticket, does that mean that rules and manners don't apply to you?

The price of admission gives you the right to a reserved seat, it doesn't give one the right to make themselves a part of the game with rude and inappropriate behavior or endanger the safety of others. Just curious how far you feel you can go because you payed for a ticket. Like I said, there are people here that felt it was okay to throw rocks and bottles onto the field and at the team buses, among other things.

The price of admission gives the fan the right to watch a great sport and to enjoy it with others who share the same passion. Throwing objects and swearing isnt sharing the passion, its trying to be an individual and showing a low self esteem.
Anyone who yells obscenities in front of kids is just low in the class department. Anyone throwing objects should be banned for life IMO, whether it endangers fans, staff or players i dont care. Ban them. I think when you go to any sports spectacle decent behaviour should be the norm and expected and not have it ruined by moronic idiots. Its a society thing and vindictive of the modern way of life. Its too easy to swear, drink and not consider other fans around you. Let fans wear paper bags and let fans boo at the half or at the end of the game. Thats harmless and it shows we care about the Fins.

like2godlike2godLuxury Box
Jan 1, 2008, 11:19 AM

"FanMarino wrote:

The price of admission gives the fan the right to watch a great sport and to enjoy it with others who share the same passion. Throwing objects and swearing isnt sharing the passion, its trying to be an individual and showing a low self esteem.
Anyone who yells obscenities in front of kids is just low in the class department. Anyone throwing objects should be banned for life IMO, whether it endangers fans, staff or players i dont care. Ban them. I think when you go to any sports spectacle decent behaviour should be the norm and expected and not have it ruined by moronic idiots. Its a society thing and vindictive of the modern way of life. Its too easy to swear, drink and not consider other fans around you. Let fans wear paper bags and let fans boo at the half or at the end of the game. Thats harmless and it shows we care about the Fins.

While I still don't see the point or effectivenss of the paperbag thing, fair enough and good post. :up:


I love you Mom, you are the greatest woman that I've ever known.

dolfan_ukdolfan_ukNew Member
Jan 1, 2008, 11:21 AM

they are just showing the team and organisation their agony, we deal with it in a different way.

its more of a joke than a true feeling, none of us are ashamed to be Dolfans.