1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fallout 3 Open World: What Can You Do?

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by High Definition, Oct 27, 2008.

1. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Got it today, played for few hrs, great flapping game!

2. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    welcome. we have a support group set up for those that lose their lives to this game. remember: it's valentine's day today so be sure not to about your ladies...

... like sweet sweet Amata.... mmmmmm...

:lol::no:

3. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I've barely put anything into melee. I've focused on small guns. Once I find the bobblehead I'll have that category maxed.

On a side note, the perk that lets you find extra ammo is worth it. I have enough shotgun shells to kill every NPC in the capital wasteland I think.

4. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA

Amata's lucky I didn't shoot her in the face. I fix everything in the vault for her and then she tells me to leave and never come back.

pennphinfan likes this.
  5. pennphinfan

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    yeah i took that perk too, and while I like it, as I have about 300 missiles, 5000 rounds for all my small guns, and like 600 rounds for all the bigger guns, i feel like thats a bit overkill. I have no numbers to compare this against.. such as what I would have if I didn't take the perk, but I imagine there was a better perk I could have grabbed. Ah well, more ammo never a bad thing

6. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I added that perk as well after reading about it. Suppsedly its a key perk if you're a Small Guns/Big Guns style character.

Ive done maybe 3 or 4 side quests and zero main quests since I got the game. Wandering around and having random battles seems to be taking up most of my time playing.

7. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I finally went ahead and finished the game yesterday. I leveled my guy up to 20 and the only side quest left was the nuka cola challenge. [Besides a few others I may not have found.] With nowhere to put all the XP points from finishing quests I didn't see the point in finishing it. I took the explorer perk you can get at level 20 though that reveals every location on the map so I may go back to my last save and look around a bit.

I think the ammo perk is pretty good if you like exploring a lot and killing raiders/mutants. It also prevents you from ever needing to buy ammo again.

8. pennphinfan

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    hm, so i just finished the game today. and I definitely didn't see it coming. i was avoiding the main plot line for a while figuring there was a good amount left, and I went back to play it some more today and got to the end of the game. while I love this game and wouldn't feel its justified to say it had a 'short' ending, as I think I logged 75 hours on this game or something, I feel somewhat unfulfilled. the karma route really didn't affect anything, because regardless of what you did it seemed like the ending was similar and you could choose which way you wanted it to go, even until the last second.

and plus you never really get to use all the loot at the end of the game. Colonel Autums Laser Pistol, for instance, which has a DMG rating of like 95, you don't get to use once! i think i might have to load an old save point and just do everything else before finishing the main quest. either way, I can't say I'm really disappointed or anything, I suppose I just never thought it would actually end haha

9. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    lol I've had the game for like 3-4 weeks and I haven't done any of the main quest since I found Megaton.

10. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    At least you didn't waste perks on swift learner. I learned the levels were capped at 20 right after I wasted 3 perks on all 3 ranks of it. :pity:

11. PeaTearGriffin

PeaTearGriffin Season Ticket Holder

Dec 8, 2007
    Yeah it comes real quick. I started with a new character and just tried to get everything done. There will be 3 DLC and the last one lets you play after the events of the main game. I think the level cap also is moved up to 30.

12. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I still haven't done anything with Megaton. Is there a lot left of the main quest after that point?

13. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I didn't know Ps3 users got screwed on the DLC before I bought the game. Complete Bull****

14. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    It depends. There should be a ton of main quest after Megaton, but you can stumble into the main quest and skip chapters by exploring if you're not careful.

slickj101 likes this.
  15. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Thanks. I've got a lot of open quests, but I've only completed maybe 4-5. None of which seem really important to the main story.

16. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I'm pretty mad about this too. If a game is multiplatform then the DLC should be multiplatform.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  17. pennphinfan

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    yeah, after megaton i started exploring and found rivet city, which completely bypassed everything with Three Dog, the Mall (all the museums and memorials, Underworld, Lincoln Memorial/Temple of the Union), and all that jazz. by the time I got the "gotta shoot em in the head" quest I think I had already killed everyone except the guy in rivet city. very large hunk of the game that i didn't realize was there until about a week ago. a lot of fun quests in the mall though.

18. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Well I just started this game finally. I have all the DLC currently out, and have only played like 5 hrs. I died like 3 times already (I suck :( )

But anything I should know to help me along, or anything I should be sure and do (since it looks like you can skip stuff accidentally)? No spoilers please.

19. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA

I'm on my second playthrough and have discovered that more focus in my leveling up has helped me immensely. Decide early how you want to get things done, [ie. forcefully, by lying or charming everybody, sneaking around, whatever] and focus on those skills early on. I started dumping points into small arms and maxed the gun nut perk on my first three level ups b/c I love to use the rifles and combat shotgun and wanted my character to be able to shoot his way out of anything. I plan on avoiding "luxury" perks such as the cap and ammo finder. I wouldn't neglect science no matter what, hacking the many terminals scattered throughout the wastes is one of my favorite things. It can make life much easier when you encounter automated turrets as well. Dump a few points [you shouldn't need too many though to get the job done] into melee early so you don't have to waste bullets on animals when you're traveling around.

Move carefully through the wastelands early on. It's not too hard to accidentally stroll into a Raider hideout and that can be bad news in the beginning. I like to move when its dark b/c you can usually get a good look at what you're dealing with before they spot you. This game rewards a strategic approach to battle, as do all RPGs. It's easy to start treating it like a pure shooter but you shouldn't. If you find yourself overmatched weapon-wise, be sure to use VATTS to take out the enemy's superior weapon, [I do this against super mutants with miniguns and missile launchers all the time] even if it takes several attempts. Once the enemy is without a gun he's pretty much at your mercy.

I won't spoil anything but keep every bottle of nuka-cola quantum that you find. Don't sell them or drink them or anything. You'll eventually see why.

20. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Is Nuka Cola quantum different than just regular nuka cola?

21. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Nvm, I just bought some schematics off a guy, and I can guess now why you say not to drink it.

nuka grenade?

22. PeaTearGriffin

PeaTearGriffin Season Ticket Holder

Dec 8, 2007
    Okay there are two things that i know i skipped because i did other missions. Do not go to Rivet city until the main quest sends you there. And do no complete the first DLC until you beat the quest "You gotta shoot'em in the head".

Other than that i suggest using V.A.T.S. unless you really like the shooter side of the game.

As for player stats: I find Intelligence to be the most important SPECIAL. And certain skills i find useless...like melee and sneak.

Stitches likes this.
  23. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA

Yes, the nuka cola quantum bottles look like regular ones but they are a bright glowing purplish color. Your guess was not what I was talking about, I'll tell you in a spoiler and you can decide if you want to see it.

It's a quest called the nuka cola challenge. You are asked to collect 30 nuka cola quantums and you get paid pretty well for each one. I used a few of the quantums the first time I played before I got to that quest and regretted it b/c they are not easy to find. Not that many anyway.

24. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I hope the game didn't just end.
    I got the purifier started

There has to be more after this movie, right?

I never even got the "you gotta shhot em in the head" quest that was mentioned.

25. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Phew, that scared me for a minute.

26. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    You Probably want to get off the main quest for a bit and look for side quest :yes:.

27. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Go to Alice's or the other bar in Underworld. You'll find a guy named Mr. Crowley. [He's always in one of the two] When you talk to him make sure you come off as sympathetic to ghouls. He'll give you the quest. Ask around Underworld about him after taking the quest before you run off and start. You'll get some extra info concerning him and the mission he sent you on.

28. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I've been doing some, but can't find the family. :no:

29. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Go to Meresti Trainyard and go into the underground tunnels. Look around down there and you'll find them. It's not very far from Arefu.

Stitches likes this.
  30. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    #1 fan and Stitches like this.
  31. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Beat every single quest. (the walkthru book helps)
    Im saved right before ending the game.
    Too lazy to download the update, i guess i got tired of this thing

Oh and i use energy weapons, i got 100 at that, and use that weapon the humanoid/droid gives you to kill the old guy. I kill everything from 1, maybe 2 at very most 3 shots. Kinda boring. lol I got the super mutant to follow me around, which is like having a tank around. When i run in to a crowd and dont feel like shooting, i let the big guy do the work while i go get a drink or something. I got him about halfway in to the game (well, for me) and he has NEVER died. not once. I hear other followers tend to die, this guy must be hacking. Status " Last best hope for humanity" I think thats as high as it gets. About 5k caps. 90+ stimpacks. Got 100 for lockpicking and my barter and pursuade is pretty high. Realized those skins are uselss kind of far in to the in to the game. I just blast my way thru. Damn KOTOR. So is the update any good?

32. Springveldt

Springveldt Season Ticket Holder

Nothing like dredging up an old thread. :)
    I've been playing Fallout 3 for the best part of 2 weeks now and I'm absolutely loving it. I can't remember the last time I played a RPG but this thing is awesome. It's actually distracting me from working thinking about what I need to do the next time I fire the game up.
    I'm about halfway through the main story but I'm up to level 16 already since I've done quite a few of the side quests.
    Since I've got the GOTY edition, is it worth installing the DLC before I finish the game? I understand I need to install Broken Steel before I get to level 20 so I don't waste any XP but if I install the other DLC will it "break" my main storyline?

33. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    I stopped playing and traded in this game because I ****ed with the first open world city in the game. You know, beat the crap out of and killed some civilians. Every time I died, I'd respawn and they'd be after me. There was no escaping no matter what. Step by step: Spawn, get jumped by entire city, die, respawn. Again.

Might play it again one day, though. I mean you can pick this game up for like 20 bucks now.

34. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    The DLC does not really pertain to the main story. I would install it now personally, though after you beat the game you can still do all the DLC.

Springveldt likes this.
  35. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    You could've just started over.

36. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    i think im gonna buy it cheap for PS3

37. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Great game indeed. Can't wait for Elder Scrolls 5 and Fallout 4.

38. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I keep forgetting that I have this game and still haven't beaten it.

39. Springveldt

Springveldt Season Ticket Holder

He SHOULD have started over again. Honestly this is a fantastic game, just so much to do with so many options. I bet you could have 10 people play this through and not one would have the same experience as the other.
    I've got the T51-b power armour now and I just survived an attack from 2 Giant Radscorpions and a Yao Guai at the same time. The dart gun really helps out as well.

40. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    This happened to me in Megaton and all I had to do was escape the town intact and return a few days later. Everything was back to normal.