1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ezekiel "Ziggy" Ansah, DE/OLB- BYU

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by RickyBobby, Jan 1, 2013.

1. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    Going through pass rushers this guys has stood out to me.

First thing that caught my eye is his size. At 6'5" 270lbs he is lean and has the strength and speed to be a very good DE, IMO.

BYU uses him a lot as a 3-4 DE,were he is adequate but when he lines up on the outside to rush the passer you can really see his full talent. Outside he is able to use his long and strong arms to stand up lineman and get to the QB very effectively. Inside he kind of get caught up and is not able to use his length.

His pass rush reminds me of aldon smith, powerful and long, nimble feet, and always aware.

I'm having a hard time convincing myself he is not worthy of the 12th pick. If Starks leaves moving odrick inside, Ansah and Wake on the ends sounds great to me

Below is him against Washington St. I chose this game so you could see more pass rushing from the outside

Enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEe0b0bqmAI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Bpk likes this.
  2. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    He's an ideal strong side end to groom in Coyle's defense IMO.... although Margus Hunt, once he reaches full playing maturity, might give Ziggy a run for his money.

3. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    One of the better games he played, IMO, was the Georgia Tech game. The reasoning for that is because against a team that runs the triple option like Georgia Tech, you have to be very disciplined in your assignments. Ansah was very disciplined in that game for a guy who doesn't have much football experience period.

Some interesting stats on him:

vs winning teams 0.50 sacks/game, 1.17 tackles for loss/game
    vs non-winning teams 0.25 sacks/game, 1.00 tackles for loss/game
    vs ranked teams 0.60 sacks/game, 1.40 tackles for loss/game
    vs non-ranked teams 0.19 sacks/game, 0.75 tackles for loss/game

Nothing eye popping, but it shows that he plays better against better competition. That is something I look for when I do a statistical analysis of a player. Does he rack up his stats against weak competition, or does he step up when the competition gets tougher. This guy steps up.

4. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I like Ansah a lot and watched him a bunch.

I think he has a natural instinct for distrupting offensive plays and blocking schemes that I live... like Alan Page, but without the analytical part.. more instinctive.

He lacks a great first step and is not an edge rusher... but he has power and relentlessness... and unpredictability. He will do whatever he needs to do to get the job done.

I think he pairs well with Wake because you can match them up... Wake on the slower opposing Tackle and Ansah on the tackle with less power, and levarage to anchor versus a power rusher.

Ansah has uspeide, having only played football a couple of years. I think he could add more size to that frame too. A great strongside DE in the making.

5. Bpk

I love Ansah, but absolutely not at 12th overall. Sorry.

I'd rather see us take someone like Milliner or Banks at 12th, then use our low second and high third to trade up and get Ansah at the top of the second or bottom of the first (if he is still available). too many question marks for me to invest a 12. He may end up just a glorified block eater with average sack numbers.

6. Bpk

I haven't looked t Margus Hunt. I'll do so tonight. Thanks, Phins.

ToddPhin likes this.
  7. Bpk

KB, i Ansah's case it's examctly the opposite. He plays it well because he has a clean slate and plays what he sees, trusting his instincts. A lot of players have crappy high school coaches teach them bad habits, or over thinking on the field and they play slow... you play slow versus the option and you are DEAD. Defending the option is not a 'take a second to think about it' kind of proposition. It's gotta be instant.

Ansah's lack of football training means fewer bad habits and wrong guesses.. weirdly. Though he does look a bit unruly out there at times.

To me, he simply takes the straightest path to where he sees the play developing (he is great at predicting where a play is going end up, then getting there first to mess up the blocking or meet the ballcarrier).

I can;t imagine him with great coaching and a couple years of NFL strength training and 'vitamins'.

8. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Don't want to overthink on Zeke Ansah because bottom line he's a physical beast, and you can figure out what you're going to do with a guy like that. He certainly makes the list for #12. I just haven't decided how high on the list he goes.

ssmiami likes this.
  9. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    An intriguing name that could play the same position though would be Sheldon Richardson of Mizzou. He plays as a defensive tackle at Mizzou but I don't think he moves or plays like a tackle. I think he moves and plays like an end. I just wish you got to see more at bats of him rushing from the outside.

Bpk and ssmiami like this.
  10. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Margus Hunt is the Brandon Weeden of DE's this year.

11. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Much more raw than Brandon Weeden was, IMO. And not the same performer as Weeden, either.

It's nice watching Margus Hunt physically abuse the #735th ranked recruit in the state of California who weighs only 290 lbs and is a true freshman. But it's far more enlightening to see Hunt go up against better fare, and you almost always see him look a LOT less interesting when he does. That's just my opinion.

Bpk likes this.
  12. Bpk

Watched a bit of Hunt last night. I think it was against Cincinatti but I don't recall exactly. It wasn't an impressive school anyways.

He looked... Decent and intriguing. Good length on him. Not a powerful base. Can't bend the arc even though he tries because I don't see enough lower body bend or flexibility. Great hands though. Pursues well from behind. Poor lateral agility as he gets sidestepped with ease.

Above the waist I love him.

Below the waist I don't.

I guess you could call him an "Above the waist" player, to invent a label.

13. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't think he has any real flexibility.

Remember last year how people kept making the argument against Brandon Weeden that of course he was going to look good at Oklahoma State, he was literally a man amongst boys? Well, I didn't understand that argument as it pertained to a quarterback and said back then I could totally see making that argument about an offensive or defensive lineman or some other position where a guy physically imposes his will on an opponent.

This is that exact hypothetical.

If you watch Margus in this Bowl performance against Fresno State, you're going to cream yourself. Look how dominant he is. It's like watching J.J. Watt.

[video=youtube;pgNUN-Sqj_Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgNUN-Sqj_Y[/video]

But then realize, as I alluded to, this was primarily a 26 year old Olympic caliber MAN going against an 18 year old BOY who 12 months ago was worried about prom and the fact that he was only the 735th ranked recruit in the state of California. At that point, that takes the shine off things just a little bit.

14. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    --------------------------------

wrong thread

15. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    .....he also benches 225 for 35+ despite an 82 inch wingspan, powercleans 384, and has a 36 inch vertical. :lol:
    Once he learns how to use that 17 blocked kicks ability in the passing game, he could be a real asset to swatting balls.
    To Hunt's favor, Fresno State had previously given up only 22 sacks on 480 attempts during the season.

BTW, Hunt's the reigning junior world record holder in the discus. Imagine what that hand slap to the side of the helmet feels like. :chuckle:

16. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    In the NFL there are a lot more Luke Joeckels and Jake Matthews playing than there are freshman Alex Fifitas.

Check out Hunt's work against Joeckel and Matthews and tell me if the back of your pants still get tight.

He's 26 years old. He won't have a ton of time to really learn the game. That would've been a great argument against Weeden if indeed he was more raw than your average QB prospect but he wasn't. Just old. This guy Margus Hunt though, undeniably raw. Raw as an oyster. And 26 years old facing kids who still can't drink legally. And he disappears when he faces good competition.

17. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I really like Ansah, reminds me a bit of Justin Tuck.

Bpk likes this.
  18. Bpk

I like him too, but not at #12 overall. Come on CK.