1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exactly What I Did Not Want To Read About Porter

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by slickj101, Nov 24, 2008.

Tags:
  1. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    :pity:
    Joey Porter

Dammit, dammit, dammit. I know a lot of you will probably go, "It was gonna happen sooner or later". We cannot have our best player on D not listening to Sparano. I don't remember the play in question, but was this after the game was out of reach?

I'm optimistic that these two probably talked about it and already squashed the issue. Still, this is just about the last thing I wanted to read after what happened today.

I defend you all the time Peezy, don't make an *** out of me.

Bpk and WharfRat like this.
  2. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Yeah I thought that that was what was happening after the unsportsmanlike conduct. Sparano was screaming for him to get off the field and Porter just stood in the huddle, glaring.

Porter is wrong on this one. When coash tells you to do something, you do it. He needs to show *** and take his punishment.

gafinfan, padre31, gunn34 and 6 others like this.
  3. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    it was after the penalty on porter on the pats final drive. i remember sparano trying to get him off the field but porter refused.

im one of the few who defends porter and now the people who hate him will have a field day with this.

4. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Damn, thats what I figured happened. I hope they can sit down tomorrow and hash it out (no Ricky). Hopefully Porter apologizes, we fine him a game, and move on.

5. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I didnt like the primetime interview, were gonna be receiving a lot of bad press this week,i cant believe what he said in that interview....holy incriminating statements batman

6. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I didn't see that either..

7. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    I knew he was a punk when we got him , but loved his play.I even loved that he told Cam off last year.

If i was Tony i'd sit him out the next 1,2,3, or even 4 games, next time this happens with JP, Tony would have to trade/cut just to save face with the team so it's better JP gets the message now.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
    gunn34, Idahophin and azfinfanmang like this.
  8. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    maybe i dont see the big deal you guys are making. i realize your gonna have consequences for not listening to the coach but i really hope he is not suspended. we have a poor pass rush as it is, suspend joey and you can almost kiss the playoffs away right there.

padre31 and gunn34 like this.
  9. baboo72

baboo72 Bleeding aqua & orange

Mar 23, 2008
    Watford, England
    You can't undermine the coach - PR wise it may be an idea to bench him this week as its the Rams - sends a message but (hopefully) doesn't cost us too dearly.

Idahophin likes this.
  10. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Just fine him and move on. He didn't cuss out Sparano. He was pissed off.

gunn34 and inFINSible like this.
  11. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I thought thats what happened. It sure looked like sparano wanted to sit porter down after that penalty. Thats the core of this team. Discipline. Porter, who has done a pretty good job of being disciplined this year given his track record, lost it yesterday, Sparano wanted to sit him down to calm down, especially since the game was over. Im not a big fan of what porter did by not coming out of the game... I sure hope sparano was able to get control of joey and get it through his thick skull that he's not in charge, he doesnt call the shots, he has to do what the head coach tells him to do...

PMZQ likes this.
  12. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    IF Sparano (And Tuna) Dont deal with Porter pretty strongly, what type of message does it send to the rest of this very young team..

What type of messaged did Porter, who is supposed to be a team leader, send to the young guys?

What happens next time Langford doesnt wanna sit down?

Sorry, but this is absolutely UN-ACCEPTABLE..... The beginning of the end, and the type of things that can COMPLETELY undermine all of the positive things that have become of this season....

ATLFINFAN, baboo72, Disnardo and 11 others like this.
  13. mullingan

mullingan New Grandbaby Pic!!!

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN
    I agree. This has to be dealt with. The best way is for the coach and Porter come out and say it was handled in house. Porter admits he was wrong and the Coach to say "I admire Porter's intensity but you have to be able to control it" or something like that and move on. We are still in this and can't let something like this snowball.

Bpk and njfinfan like this.
  14. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    You are overreacting.

This is very typical of many players on many teams.

JP just wanted to finish the game and dish out a few more hits.

No big deal.

I saw Richard Seymour wave off Bellichick in a game a couple years back when they were getting killed in a game and he had a score to settle.

Oh.....yeah..it was in a game against us.

15. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

The thing is, 126, we don't know if that was all it was ?? Was it that JP just wanted to dish a few more hits, or was it that JP simply refused to listen to Sparano ?? When will the next time happen ?? The guy is a loose cannon and can...I said can...undermine all of what Sparano and co. have been doing...I don't see JP in our future if this turns out the latter of the two scenarios...

Bpk likes this.
  16. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    Sorry, can't agree. You don't ignore the coach when you've just got a DEAD BALL 15 yarder for Unsportsmanlike Conduct. What I want to know is just what the H&^^ did he do to get that one - tell a ref to go &*^( himself for bad calls or what!

When you have fubar'd that big, you either pay attention to the coach or you pay attention to the consequences. No other way to handle that.

baboo72, Disnardo, Bpk and 3 others like this.
  17. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    not as big a deal as some of you making it to be, but it also needs to be addressed and Porter needs to deal with the consequences of his actions. When the coach tells you to do something, you do it.

18. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    You can never condone such a reaction for Porter......

But if there is an upside it is that Joey Porter appartently has a sense of ownership in the defense. I'd bet a hundred dollars that if this was last year he would have come off the field with the attitude of "Hey, this is your show" as he pointed to another negative result on the scoreboard. If there is a positive at all it is that this man wanted to stay on the field when we were losing by three touchdowns with 4 minutes left in the game. The dude has a warrior mentality that you desire out of your players.

Again, I am not condoning what he did. I just know that when the situation happens with a player such as this (the face of your defense) you do not crush the spirit that makes him who he is inside. I would venture to say that he will not be fined at all. He will be admonished privately but that is exactly where it will stay.

We had the benefit of watching two excellent defenders for a decade. The thing that I always noticed about their excellent play was that it was all that we had. Nobody on the defense fed off their play. Those two simply made plays and the rest looked to the sideline for leadership or better yet who they sought to please. This defense looks to Joey for much of everything outside of their individual technique. Yes sir, Joey Porter has warts but I'll take the warts for all the mental edge that is gained.

inFINSible likes this.
  19. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Bravo Kenny !!!! You are :theman:

20. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    As i said in another post, go the MD.com and watch the post game interviews if their still up. Vonnie had some interesting things to say about the team falling apart at the end.

21. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It'd be one thing if Porter was refusing to GO IN a game, but not wanting to come out is not as big a deal. Joey was pissed at the outcome of the game, as he should have been.

He'll be dealt with in private by the coaching staff. No point in airing dirty laundry.

CWBIII, Mindwarp, MonstBlitz and 2 others like this.
  22. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Spot on, and this is one reason why I want the Dolphins to stay away from these type of players. Alot of people are quick to overlook the loud mouth and disruptive behavior because a guy has talent, look at the number of people who wanted Chad Johnson and Adam Jones, but sooner or later the honeymoon ends and the players steps over the line. If the coaching staff doesn't take strong action against Porter, it sends the message that bad behavior is tolerable if you put up numbers and the youngin's will follow. This isn't the type of distraction that a rebuilding team needs.

baboo72, Bpk and azfinfanmang like this.
  23. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    He'll be fined but its not something I want to hear

24. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I think there are obviously some negatives and some positives to this. The negatives about undermining the coaching staff have been stated.

The positive is that this character trait of Joey is also what makes him a great player. He never quits. He didn't quit on us last year during the 1-15 season, and he didn't want to quit against the Patriots yesterday. Should he have gone out? Yes. But can you really get down on him when that never say die attitude is one of the things that makes him a great player?

For anyone to be suggesting we should get rid of him or that he's one of "those types of players" is outlandish. If not for Porter we would be lucky to have 3 wins this season. He's done a phenomenal job of anchoring our young defense. Cut him some slack.

If we have faith in our coaching staff, and we all should at this point, then have the confidence that they will deal with Joey in an appropriate manner that won't have a negative impact on the team.

25. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    I don't think anyone was suggesting that we get rid of him, but it's not outlandish to compare him to other players who feel they are too big to follow the rules. Porter has a long history of running his mouth and he showed last year that he wasn't afraid to embarrass his coach and be disruptive. Whether you like Cameron or you hate him, he was the coach and the players needed to respect that. Now Joey is at it again this year, his heart is bigger than his head and he showed Sparano up. This type of thing can't go unpunished or be overlooked because Porter is having a great season, it undermines the credibility and authority of this coaching staff if they let it go. They need to make an example of him and not let this become a bigger issue down the line.

26. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I think it's funny that people who have a different opinion on what should happen are saying the others are making assumptions on what happened and are overreacting The truth is EVERYONE is making an assumption and overreacting on this. No one knows for certain what the other players (young and old) are doing and saying. For all we know, the younger players may be hitting him with some serious attitude because of what he did.

I'm sure Sparano and his crew have been thru this before and know better then us the mental make up of the team. I'm confident they will handle the situation appropriately. It may be something simple like a small fine, not making Porter a starter for the next game, or a public (team wise) apology. If Porter is respected by his peers and gives a heartfelt apology to his teammates and acknowledges he was wrong, that may be all this team needs to stay together and play very well.

Bpk, azfinfanmang and slickj101 like this.
  27. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I thought that was what you were getting at in your post, but I guess maybe you just wish we never signed him?

Couldn't agree more. I'm just saying we shouldn't overreact to this and trust the coaching staff to handle it.

like2god likes this.
  28. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Nah, we signed him and he's our headache, but Joey is the type of player (personality-wise) that we should be avoiding IMO.

I actually was in favor of the Porter signing, I figured that he would be a perfect fit opposite of Taylor and that he was the vocal leader that this team needed. When I spoke to my brother (a Steelers fan) he told me that I was nuts, that Porter was a headache and he was glad to see him go. I assumed it was just sour grapes because Porter was leaving Pittsburgh, but it turns out that he was correct. Porter is a PITA and the coaching staff needs to kick him in the *** now before it becomes a problem later on.

Every year we trust the coaching staff to do what's right, looking back.....how many of those decisions were the right ones? :wink2:

I hope they don't take it easy on him and give him a wrist slap because he's performing well. The FO and coaching staff came in here with the message that they weren't going to take any BS from anyone, they need to stick to that or else they lose credibility.

djphinfan and MonstBlitz like this.
  29. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    I might take some heat for this but.....Porter is a hell of a play and i appreciate his production a ton. I love having his play making ability on the team. I even like his smack talking and his tough personality. I think its something our D has needed. However, that being said, Porter is a freaking *** hole. He takes it way too far and doesnt know when to cut it short. He only embarasses himself when he does that too.

30. Obsessivefinfan

Obsessivefinfan Banned

Oct 7, 2008
    Yea it happened, but I don't know that it was that big a deal because this is how I interpreted it...Sparano had no idea what REALLY happened with Crowder, so he was assuming he MIGHT lose him for a game...With Porter being the kinda dude he is, Sparano wanted to get him off the field before a potential melee ensued as the Pats were driving for a shameless, needless TD, and Porter had already vocalized how he took offense to them last year...Porter in turn, knew what his concerns were, and he just kinda waved like 'Naw coach I'm fine, deez crackas is juss trippin, I aint gonna fight...' and while it probably pissed him off, I don't think it's the makings of a mutiny. If anything it was just a testament to the kinda warrior Porter is, he talked trash, and to leave the field before the game was over would probably, in his mind, be equivalent to a concession or giving up...say what you want, I hate some of his qualities, but he has admirable ones as a competitor.

31. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    JP wasn't hot dogging it, he was trying to win/play hard, but you have to listen to the HC, fine him and keep him out for a half or something.

I like JP, and at least it wasn't a case of quitting on the team or the game.

32. Califin

Califin Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2007
    It doesn't matter WHO it is.
    When Sparano says, "get out" to any player standing on the turf, wearing a Dolphin helmet, that player must leave the field, with no less urgency than thunder cracking from an impending lightning bolt, about to seek ground through it.

Make no mistake, respect from the team begins, and ends with Joey's.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  33. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Maybe my view is a bit tainted after eight years in the military but to me that is 100% unacceptable. If someone thinks he is bigger than the team cut him. I don't care who it is. The Dolphins do not need that attitude and if I'm Sparano I'm looking for an apology and his assurance that that NEVER happens again. I also make sure he's aware of the consequences. I'm sure they can talk it out like men.

34. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I agree.

One thing I cannot stand is a player who thinks they're bigger than the team. It's frustrating. Especially when you have a team that gels and works so well with each other. It sets a bad example for the younger guys and Porter should not be getting away with it.

anlgp likes this.
  35. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I think this is also going to be an opportunity to find out how our team is going to deal with personnel issues. Meaning, are we going to be a team like Cincy or Dallas that has their stars and coaches airing out each others dirty laundry. Or, are we going to keep all of our conflicts in house and deal with them like men and not divas.

Obviously hoping for the latter.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  36. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Should have called timeout and during the TO, rip Porter, then bench him.
    I love the passion that he plays with, but he crossed the line on this one.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  37. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Tony S for the proper way to handle this player see Mike S of the 49ers handling of V. Davis. Come on Tony lets see some tough love!!!:up:

azfinfanmang likes this.