1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Every Brandon Gibson Target of 2012

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Stitches, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Which of those players are likely to be there at 12 though? If one of the DEs, drop absolutley take them over Austin, but is that likely? I don't think there is another player in the conversation at 12 that comes close to adding what austin does from the slot/x factor in the specific roles that they would play on the Dolphins. A case could be made for patterson as a better overall wr, but not in the slot, nor from the back field. And if you look at the money already invested in the outside receivers, Patterson seems unlikely. Wallace suggests a move to more specialized roles for WRs than expected from Joes time in Greenbay. Bess is not bad at all in the slot, but he isn't Austin, and Austin would be cheaper than keeping Bess next year. (if I'm remembering Bess's contract right), Austin won't cost much until its time to decide about Wallace/Hartline. That's three or four years of a pretty damn impressive WR core. If things go according to plan we won't be in position to get someone with Austins pedigree in the draft (ie cheap) again for a while.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

2. BigNastyDB13

BigNastyDB13 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    I wasn't trying to say Austin is just a workout warrior, just that its probably not a coincidence that fans didn't start clamoring for him until after the combine. I live in Oklahoma so I'm exposed to the Big 12 and I like Austin for what he is but he isn't a fit for the fins at 12. Had we signed Wallace and say Jennings instead of Hartline/Gibson than I could understand it more. Even the, I'd have a tough time picking Austin over Patterson. Patterson has the potential to replace Hartline and be an outstanding #2. He also brings return ability as does Austin. I just don't see the benefit of having Austin instead of Patterson. Maybe one of the Austin advocators can enlighten me on this?

3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007

I agree..just would add Eifert in there for the debate in who to take..

Two Tacos likes this.
  4. BigNastyDB13

BigNastyDB13 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    You make a good point for those who haven't gotten a chance to see many of these prospects play. The only thing they can go by is the combine and highlight reels or in some cases the senior bowl. I don't pretend to know about many of the prospects. There's a lot of Big 10 guys I haven't seen because Big 10 football is boring lol. I mostly just see Big 12 and SEC players. I love Trufant at CB but its hard to judge a CB watching a game live but from what I did see of him at the senior bowl I wouldn't hesitate to take him over Rhodes who has better measurables but doesn't seem to be the gamer Trufant is. What's ur thoughts on trufant guys?d

5. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    1. If Patterson is the better overall receiver I think you take him over Austin. It's not like Patterson would be bad from the slot. He's got extraordinary quickness and run after catch ability, which is what you covet in the slot. Good hands, too. The difference for me between Patterson and Austin is that while I'm pretty sure Patterson could also play in the slot as opposed to just playing on the outside, I'm not entirely sure Austin can play on the outside as opposed to just playing in the slot.

2. I don't think there's any tea leaves to read about Miami going to MORE specialization in their receivers unit. In fact I have seen the opposite argument being made, which is why Brandon Gibson is supposed to now be their #3 receiver instead of Davone Bess.

3. As for which players could fall to #12 that have special qualities, there are plenty. Bjoern Werner and Cornellius Carradine may both be available at 12 overall. They're special. You could see one of the three offensive tackles fall to 12. They're special. Sheldon Richardson has some special qualities. Dee Milliner and Xavier Rhodes have some special qualities. Jarvis Jones has special qualities. If they put Dannell Ellerbe inside then they could look at Jones as an OLB in base and a DE in nickel. Or they could look at Bjoern Werner or Tank Carradine as full time every down DEs.

6. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Agreed with your analysis on trufant, that's how I feel about him...highly competitive player, fast, agressive, will stick you, and love the look of his confidence, the anti Sean smith.

7. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    The slot receiver role has taken on new significance in the NFL in the last 5-6 years. While in the past it was kind of a place to put your 3rd best WR it is now a place where you can fairly easily get the ball to a guy on the move and in space 80+ times a year. The best ones can catch 110+ passes a year. With Wallace helping to stretch the defense vertically and Hartline and Gibson skilled route runners who know how to work the sideline, there should be a lot of room for our slot guy to work the middle. Austin is proven at that. He is ideal for it. He is positively electric there. He has every bit as much potential as Welker and Cruz to get open and catch the ball in the slot but is much, much more explosive once he catches it. Harvin is a good comparison but Harvin was a much less productive and accomplished receiver coming out and had character concerns that Austin doesn't have (as far as I know).

Patterson could also be a beast in the slot. But he's not proven there. He's not that proven as a receiver at all. While he excites me with the ball in his hands he simply wasn't that productive as a WR. Outside one huge game against low level competition (Troy) his receiving production was not impressive. Other guys in that same system with that same QB put up better receiving numbers in recent years. Yes, those were talented guys too but Patterson's one year of not overly impressive D1 receiving production is a concern, especially with talk that he is not that bright a guy. Austin appears to be a savvy guy who would be pretty plug and play as a slot WR. And I think that slot role is a very valuable one. I also don't buy the notion that Austin can only be a slot guy. I don't see anything that Wallace does as beyond Austin's ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrClean and djphinfan like this.
  8. jrry32

jrry32 New Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Yep, that guy. It was very frustrating because he was at the bottom of the screen so myself and many other Rams fans clearly saw him. And I know I was screaming at the TV for him to line-up on the LOS. Of course, the refs never threw the flag so I figured maybe they missed it then Sam drops in one of the best throws of his career to Amendola against our hated rivals and Amendola takes it 80 yards down to the 2 yard line. Of course, the refs throw the flag after the play and call it.

But Gibson did take the blame for it after the game so gotta respect that.

I'll give him this, he's been in a new offensive system with a new offensive coordinator each of the past 3 years so some gaffes will happen. That said, he's headed to another new scheme with the Dolphins. Also, the Rams were really terribly coached as a whole under Spagnuolo. He did show improvement under Fisher and Sherman so I don't think he's maxed out yet. He's still only 25. He might continue and progress more in 2013 with proper coaching.

As I said before, I wish him the best of luck.

9. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I'd guess the feeling was mutual.

ckparrothead likes this.
  10. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX

No, he said he wanted to go back, but the Rams wanted to go in a different direction with their younger guys.

ckparrothead and MrClean like this.
  11. MrClean

Ok thanks. I thought I recalled reading something about him wanting a fresh start on a new team, or maybe he just meant that now that it's happened that he was looking forward to it. Anyway, he didn't seem to lament not being resigned by them from what I could tell from his audio interview on finsiders. I did listen late at night though.

12. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Gibson's numbers finally came out. 3 years, $9.78 million, $1 million signing bonus, total of $3.75 million of it guaranteed. The 1st year cap hit is $1.75 million.

13. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    That makes sense, don't even think he's making more than Bess?

Whatta you think Ck?

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    That was pretty much what everyone expected.

15. MrClean

BenVolinPBP Brandon Gibson's cap numbers: $1.785m, $3.735m, $4.26m. Also annual workout bonuses of $35k
    4 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

BenVolinPBP Finally got my hands on Brandon Gibson's deal: 3 years, $9.78m. Got $3.75m guaranteed: $3m signing bonus, $750k base salary

16. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    With about $4 million guaranteed, he's not going to be relegated to #5 on the depth chart.

If they draft a Wide Receiver before Day 3 it will only be because Davone Bess has been traded. I guess we need to monitor these Colts rumors some more.

djphinfan likes this.
  17. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Could have been a lot worse. At one point he was seeking Hartline money.