1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ESPN says Dolphins use trickery to win

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by finsgirlie, Nov 9, 2008.

1. finsgirlie

finsgirlie break my Luxury Box

Dec 2, 2007
    Fantasy Land
    ESPN - Seattle vs. Miami - Recap - November 09, 2008

I had to chuckle...I find it amusing that everyone says we're using "tricks" to win. Technically, they're just creative plays. We have to have a good squad to pull this stuff off, and it's not like we're using the Wildcat on EVERY play. The rest of the game, I guess it was just luck? I loved this quote that Ricky gave "Our offense is versatile," Williams said. "We just try to take what other teams are giving us. If they're not giving us much, we have to create." What do you all think, trickery, or inventive play-calling?

Disnardo likes this.
  2. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    They are trick plays.... but they still have to be executed so who cares.

jason8er, late again and finsgirlie like this.
  3. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    This just in: ESPN still doesnt know the first thing about sports!

What they say may be right, but you do, what you have to do to win the game. deal with it.

finsgirlie likes this.
  4. ASUFinFan

ASUFinFan Uh huh

Dec 8, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    What's a girl doing on these boards lol. Kidding Amanda. But basically, how I see it is, how many teams can be as effective as the dolphins without their starting qb running the offense? Not many. This team is talented. The dolphins started this trend, and they are basically the only team thats been able to benefit from using it. Others have tried, but the dolphins keep going at it. I enjoy it, and think it gives our offense a kick throughout the game. Not to mention, how fun is this wildcat offense for the offensive players. I know its fun as hell to watch. It's got to be a blast. Bringing winning and fun back to the dolphins. It's something that has seriously lacked in previous years.

Themole, Puka-head and finsgirlie like this.
  5. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Well apparently the only way a team can get ESPN's undying love is to secretly videotape the other team and steal their signals. :pity:

6. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

7. finsgirlie

Dec 2, 2007
    Fantasy Land
    so off-topic, but nice to see you around :yes:

8. ASUFinFan

ASUFinFan Uh huh

Dec 8, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ

Haha, agreed. Off topic for sure. I just wanted to rant a bit. But I hear yah. It was trickery against the patriots the first time we ran it. Now, as teams have strategized for it, its no longer trickery, its strategy. And if you cant stop it, then the dolphins will beat you with it.

9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't find it to plays to be tricky, I just look at it as a different type of formation that is being executed out on the field. Either way, a win is a win, no matter how its done.

OT: Looking at the boxscore, we won the possession time again which is really impressive in my opinion. There are a couple statistics that are always in the back of my mind. One is possession time. Last year, the teams that participated in the SB averaged approximately 32 minutes in possession per game. The other is 7.25 yards per pass attempt. Historically, the teams that make it the furthest into the playoffs are the teams that average 7.25 yards per pass. I don't necessarily think that we will make the playoffs, although its a possibility, but we're averaging 8.2 yards per pass and 31:20 minutes of possession per game, which ranks eighth in the NFL.

10. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    If he does do that and they win, ESPN will eat that up. They'll be sayings its karma, Belichick is a genius, etc.

11. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    I'll take trickery over filming walk throughs or defensive signals.

Not namin' any names, or nothin'. :shifty:

sking29 and finsgirlie like this.
  12. ASUFinFan

ASUFinFan Uh huh

Dec 8, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I don't care what anyone wants to call it. It's brought attention to our dolphins, and we are capitalizing using it, and the talent we have offensively. Bout time.

13. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I thought the whole principle was to out think your opponet and be innovative. Its funny that so many other teams are trying to use Miami's "Trick" play. Technically there are a lot of plays that could be called trick plays. Offensive lineman eligible, flea flicker, the halfback option pass has been used for years, just not from the Wildcat. Its funny, if the Patriots use anything extra ordinary its an ingenious play. If the Dolphins use it, its a trick or gimmick play.

jason8er, finsgirlie and opfinistic like this.
  14. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    By the way Opfin who is that dashing celebrity in your avy?

15. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    **** 'em. This time last year we were mathematically eliminated from winning the division. Now we are hunting.

16. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    :pity:

Any real Dolfan would recognize the man. I am aspiring to be that awesome one day.

17. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Its the famous retired dolfan stan. How could you not know that?:wink2:

opfinistic and finsgirlie like this.
  18. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Surely not. How can I call myself a Fin fan and not know the great Retired Dolfan Stan. :pity:

That's like not know who Retired Opfinistic is.

19. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't know who Ofinistic is but I do know Retired Opfinistic.

:tongue2:

opfinistic likes this.
  20. finsgirlie

Dec 2, 2007
    Fantasy Land
    retired opfinistic? i don't even know who opfinistic is, much less that he retired! :tongue2:

opfinistic likes this.
  21. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    I am the walrus.

Koo kookeechoo.

22. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Fixed. :tongue2:

Now everyone back on topic. :nono:

finsgirlie likes this.
  23. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Haha.

Seriously, get back on topic. I blame Sking for sidetracking this thread. :pity:

24. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    I know you hate me Alen that's fine. :shifty:

Seriously though the Fins have been using trickery to win but what is wrong with trickery. Something that is a trick is technically something that fooled someone else or in other words outsmarted them. So trickery is simply smart plays that help you win. I don't buy it being cheap or anything. Now let another team do it and I will probably say it is. :lol:

alen1 likes this.
  25. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    What is considered trickery today, may be called trend-setting tomorrow and game changing in ten years. Ya never know.

finsgirlie likes this.
  26. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Using the wildcat is no more of a trick than using a playaction pass. Hard to trick someone with something they've seen for 7 games now.

Misdirection, yes.
    Tricky, no.

27. finsgirlie

Dec 2, 2007
    Fantasy Land
    that's how i feel too....it's just a play. though it is something they haven't seen in pro for quite a few years, to me it's the same as a center sneak or as you said, a playaction pass IMO. it makes the game so much more exciting, and you can tell the guys are really into it.

GISH and opfinistic like this.
  28. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    It's already trend setting. Baltimore is having success with their version ala Troy Smith. DeSean Jackson scored from the wildcat today. The Jags had success with it in week 5. New England was doing it last week to Indy. I think Cleveland, and others have tried it as well. It's a part of the game now. But just like any other new trend, you have to have the personel to pull it off. Blocking TEs is a must. It also helps to have amazing RBs.

29. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

Yep and we now see a trend happening. A bunch of teams are now using forms of the Wildcat, including ESPN's Chris Berman's team. He's behind all of this because his Barfalo Billz are now circling the wagons at bottom of the AFC EAST!!!

This so called trickery is now becoming a normal thing and more so, its becoming expected.

finsgirlie likes this.
  30. dolphan117

dolphan117 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    They have a point. It wasn't until we put in the Wildcat that we started wining and even now our base offense is pretty bad. Like they pointed out, all 3 of our scores today came out of either the WC or to Ginn on the flea flicker.

That being said there is absolutely nothing wrong with using creative play calling to put the other team in a position where they are confused and miss assignments. I love it, absolutely love it....... But it bothers me a great deal just how bad our base offense is right now.

finsgirlie likes this.
  31. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I'm not worried about people are saying. If we keep winning, that's all that matters.

32. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    ESPN as a whole doesn't really care for the Dolphins. I would like to see even more wrinkles in the Wildcat. If you watch NFL Network highlights, they have sound effects for the Wildcat now when they do our highlights. Steve Marucci is giving us big props and really likes the way we are playing.

33. dolfan06

dolfan06 New Member

May 19, 2008
    Arkansas
    the eagles scored with the "wildcat" tonight.

Ozzy and finsgirlie like this.
  34. StLouisFinFan

StLouisFinFan New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    So for ESPN, when New England lined up all last year with a gazillion wide receivers and ran play after play after play, THAT was ok....but the minute the Dolphins start running a play out of a formation involving three people in the backfield (on the 51 and 16 yard TDs) who are simply taking the ball and running through the defense, then that's crossing some sort of line?

35. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    Trick em, kick em, poke em in the eye! Feed them bad eggs for breakfast and oj with e-coli. I don't give an ish how it happens, just win baby, just WIN!!!
    If they can't stop it, keep running it.

36. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    The Rickster was the Trickster today. :yes:

37. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    lol For a team that went 1-15 last year, it's "Trickery"

If it was the Patriots, it would be "The genius of Bill Belicheck"

Brown42000 likes this.
  38. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Steve Marucci is starting to bother me. His blatant man love for Brett Favre has made it difficult listening to him and take what he says about the divison and the games involving Favre can't be taken seriously.

Your right though he does give props to Miami for being so creative. Deion gives Miami credit as well after bashing Miami earlier in the season.

39. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    True and shows how much of a joke ESPN has become.

40. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    espn is brilliant at times. bad with the good.