1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ESPN Mock 4.0

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by corbyons, Apr 7, 2010.

Tags:
  1. corbyons

corbyons New Member

Mar 12, 2010
    The Pick: Dan Williams
    Kiper:
    Getting Karlos Dansby minimizes a need for a player like Rolando McClain here, and the Dolphins are thin up front, and also facing suspensions (Jason Ferguson). I liked Williams here before, and I still do. A great leverage player, he can occupy blockers and disrupt for the Fins.

The Pick: Derrick Morgan

McShay: We would like to see Morgan in a 4-3 front, but Miami's 3-4 scheme features bigger bodies up front and Morgan would provide the pass-rush ability and toughness against the run a depleted Miami front seven desperately needs.

I believe it will be Dez Bryant if hes there... but we will see... thoughts?

here's a link to the rest Mock Draft 4.0 for those of you who have Insider

dolfan7171, OCDolfan and padre31 like this.
  2. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    dolfan7171 likes this.
  3. OCDolfan

OCDolfan a.k.a. LostInPatsLand Club Member

Jul 21, 2008
    California
    I like Morgan at 12.

4. SuperMarksBros.

SuperMarksBros. Active Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Down with moving back a bit and getting Williams

finyank13 and dolfan7171 like this.
  5. hazed819

hazed819 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Man is no one worried about our inability to pass effectively :/ I still think we need a good threat wideout to spread the coverage better for Henne.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  6. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Williams sounds good to me.

7. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    People shouldn't be worried about Miami's passing offense, which is good enough, when Miami's defense is the reason they lost 9 games last year. From week 5 till the end of the season, Miami gave up an average of 136 yards rushing per game. They also gave up 26 points per game over that time span. They averaged 218 yards passing in those games and scored 23.3 PPG over that time span. Over the last 5 games of the season, Miami's passing offense averaged 278 yards passing per game. So, exactly why do they need to ignore the defense and draft a wide receiver.

8. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I'm okay going Defense with the 12, but far from being okay with Williams or Kindle.

Phinatic425, resnor and GMJohnson like this.
  9. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Already got my pills on deck for suicide in case we go Dan Williams...

resnor, Uncle Rico and GMJohnson like this.
  10. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I'm sure the F.O. is. There are some that seem to forget it is a passing league, but I doubt Parcells and company are among them.

11. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    When our defense was good, and our offense was horrible, everyone made the excuse that our offense goes 3 and out so the defense is on the field longer.

Now when its the other way around...we still blame the offense. Everything you need to know about the Dolphins, you can get from watching the Colts and Saints games. You come out of those games thinking our offense sucks and our defense will do, then I question your sobriety level.

Hobiesailor and finyank13 like this.
  12. hazed819

hazed819 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    We lost the Colts game because of our secondary and the inability of our LB's to cover the TE. Williams is neither a LB or a backfield player so what exactly is that gunna do for us. Yes we will need him considering Ferg is over the hill but to fix the defense we need a good secondary and some good coverage LBs which i think Dansby will fill out just fine. we need a good safety and a bad *** corner.

mroz likes this.
  13. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Colts game I agree. But you might want to watch/rewatch the Saints game again or check your um, sobriety level.

The defense is the reason we ALMOST won the Nawlins game. Culver had a INT return to the 5 yd line to setup a TD, Wilson had a pass defl that Torbor picked inside the 20 for another score. Defense held Nawlins to a FG after Roby had an 80 yd KO return. In the 3rd the D forced a fumble at the NO 15 to setup another score (FG) The offense capitalized with scores sure, but the defense put them in great spots the whole first half and into the 3rd qtr. The only time the O scored on its own was the Ricky toss sweep that went for 60+ yds, and the Hartline slant/Ricky WC run. But the O never sustained a drive the whole game, which is what you need when youre protecting a lead vs. an explosive team.

And it was the offense that turned the ball over before half time, leading to a score, and the offense that turned it over again to start the third qtr, leading to another score. It was the offense that couldnt stay on the field and give the D rest. The offense couldnt run and slow the pace of the game down. First 6 drives of the 2nd half, 3 plays INT, 3 plays punt, 3 plays FG (off turnover), 3 plays TD, 3 plays punt, 3 plays punt. The defense got tired, predictably.

The wildcat was shut down. Nawlins blitzed on 90% of the snaps in the second half, 6-7 guys half the time. Offense knew it was coming and still couldnt take advantage. Hartline got loose once but that was it. Last 2 drives, Teddy, Ricky and Fasano had big drops, Camarillo throws the ball out of bounds. Henning goes play action on 3rd and 4th and 14? C'mon man. Of all the games you could pin on the defense, the Nawlins game should be DEAD LAST.

MrClean likes this.
  14. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Because you help your defense by helping your offense. Just look at the Saints.

If you focus only on defense, you are expending resources that will only marginally improve a side of the football that will be handicapped by NFL rules that significantly favor the passing game.

And Miami's passing game wasn't good enough. They couldn't get those big explosive plays when they needed them.

So we can stick with the old rule of thought and try to build a dominant defense that will still get torched by teams like the Saints and Colts, or we can get with the program and help our offense first, which in turn helps our defense by taking pressure off, and making play calling easier with bigger leads.

15. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    im getting the vibe that a lot of you will only agree with our first pick if it's Dez Bryant and no one else...

Prepare to be unhappy.

gunn34, felly smarts, Bpk and 2 others like this.
  16. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    UGH, Dan Williams and Sergio Kindle are bad choices @ 12. Its Bryant or Thomas, outside chance of Spiller or E Griffen. Williams would be a decent pick only if Berry, Thomas, Spiller and Bryant are all gone, which is highly unlikely. But Im just waitin for the 22nd at this point. For this many people to be stuck on what is obviously a bad choice, they have to be getting inside info from a team source, a source that is apparently lying. I swear, some of these draftniks shouldnt even have jobs...

MrClean likes this.
  17. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Exactly. :knucks:

18. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Earl Thomas would be just as good, and safer. If I had to guess I'd say him over Bryant, but personally I'd take Dez and look for a S later.

19. OCDolfan

Jul 21, 2008
    California
    I agree defense first, but we need offense as well, and that includes finding a big, strong, tall wideout that likely isn't on our roster.

20. OCDolfan

Jul 21, 2008
    California
    I think our defense needs more help than our offense, but you're right about us needing to allocate some resources to the passing game. I think KB21's arguing, however, that the most precious resource (e.g. 1st round pick) be used to improve defense. And he's right.

21. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    i'm not against any pick really. I could even justify Mike Iupati, as crazy as that'd be.

I think Derrick Morgan or Dan Williams is the way to go but I'm all for Bryant or Thomas too if we so choose.

Truth be told, with all these teams likely to reach on Tackles and Both QBs going much higher than they deserve, our #12 pick is a perfect place to be.

GMJohnson likes this.
  22. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    You're calling for a Cornerback?
    Seriously? :pity:

23. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    i can think of about 8 players that are in the 'mix' in rd ... but none of them are named Williams ....

GMJohnson likes this.
  24. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I can't remember the last time the "experts" picked our 1st round pick correctly. Maybe Jake Long, although he signed before the draft anyhow.

25. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Football is a team game, you take whichever player will help the team win games. IMO you dont break it down into this side of the ball or that one. Dez Bryant helps the defense b/c he will keep them off of the field and give them better field position and more points to work with when they do get on the field. Earl Thomas helps the offense b/c he will get them more possessions vis INT's, and prevent demoralizing big plays. Its all a team concept.

But just to play along, I agree the defense has more holes, but I would argue that the offense is closer to being elite and should get the resources first. IMO you dont need to be good on both sides of the ball as much you need to be great on one of them. No matter what we do this offseason, our defense wont be great, we need too many pieces. On offense its a different story. We are a #1 WR (Bryant), a pass catching TE (Pitta), and some OG/OL depth away from having an offense that is just as hard to stop as the Colts, Saints, Packers etc. Sure we'll do it with more of a smashmouth style, but we wont be any easier to stop than those other elite offenses. Teddy on one side, Dez on the other. Pick your poison. Ronnie and Ricky behind our O-line, no one can handle it w/ 7 guys. A pass catching TE leaking past those run support safeties. Ginn blowing the top off the defense, Dez singled up, catching short-intermediate routes, breaking tackles and making big plays. Bess in the slot, Hartline giving Teddy breathers and Dez time to get coached up on the sideline. Fasano is good when healthy, he came on strong at the end of last year. The O-line is one of the best in the business. Seriously, its pick your poison. All we need is a couple more pieces.

With an offense like that, your defense can afford to be average. As long as they can play pass coverage, get after the QB, and force the odd turnover. Sound familiar (Colts-Saints)?.

Striking and MrClean like this.
  26. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I'm so glad they have us taking someone we wont draft at 12.

27. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Everyone has their wishes, Sergio Kindle, Dez Bryant, Thomas, Williams, etc,..etc.
    My wish is that someone who is drafting after us wants someone still on the board so bad, that they will swap firsts and give us some more picks we can definitely use.

Phinatic425 likes this.
  28. Phinatic425

Phinatic425 MIA State of Mind

Feb 19, 2010
    Upper Left Corner
    How about we get the best player available???

29. I would agree, you guys need someone to compliment Henne's arm, someone to spread the field.

30. Phinatic425

Phinatic425 MIA State of Mind

Feb 19, 2010
    Upper Left Corner
    Nah foo Nah...I would prefer any over Dan Williams...execpt for Jermaine Gresham...but that pick would be down right silly!

31. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    I'd be comfortable with either Williams or Morgan.

32. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Better Williams than Kindle.

PhinsRDbest likes this.
  33. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

We also lost because Ginn let what should have been an easy catch go through his hands at the end of the game. He makes that TD catch in the end zone, and we win. Dez would make that catch 99 times out of 100.

34. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

It is only ignoring if they use every single pick on offense.

35. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

We could get most of those guys at 18-20 if we traded down with someone like Houston.

Don;t care if we miss out on Morgan, who IS likely to go before then. That's be like having 2 Cam Wake's. We haven;t figured out how to properly use ONE yet.

36. StLouisFinFan

StLouisFinFan New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    I'm not convinced Dan "one year wonder" Williams can bring anything to the table Soliai can't...people keep harping on and on about Miami's need for a "big man" up the middle...folks, there's a reason this staff is holding on to Soliai and his 350 frame...he's got the tools to be an NFL NT just like a Williams, but unlike Williams, Soliai has been groomed for this over the last couple of years...they've invested plenty into him...too many are quick to see Fergy's suspension and lazily, and I do mean lazily, scan the rankings for the best DT and plug him in for us...this regime has options that thoe people don't even know about. Do they know that Soliai is a 350 lb man with quick feet and hands who's only struggling with technique? Do they know that Starks is more than capable of playing the NT position and especially so on 3rd down? Ditto for McDaniel, who showed alot of promise last year in that same role. No, they don't know, which is why they are pawning an overrated college DT onto us and moving on down the line...they're just too lazy to do the math. Pure and simple. This team needs help on defense in a VERY big way, but it's not on the D-Line...it's at OLB and FS. Anything else is gravy.

37. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    good draft relatively deep in TE's & NT's
    either position could be filled in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th
    maybe even in later rounds prospect will be available
    look for WR, OLB, FS, as they fall in the 1st. round
    could even move up to nail Berry if necessary
    all depends on the talent & position falling @ 11

38. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    Henne would have had well over 3000 yards last year if we had a #1.. He was only about 150 shy of 3000 and only started 12 games.