1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ESPN AFC East Mock

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Gunner, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    They recently polled some experts and here is the consolidated list for our first round pick - couple of curve balls in there

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/27411/scratching-your-afc-east-mock-itch

No. 15 Miami Dolphins

* Kiper's pick: Mark Ingram, Alabama running back
    * McShay's pick: Mark Ingram, Alabama running back
    * Bunting's pick: Mark Ingram, Alabama running back
    * Kirwan's pick: Prince Amukamara, Nebraska cornerback
    * Nawrocki's pick: Jake Locker, Washington quarterback
    * Rang's pick: Mark Ingram, Alabama running back
    * Reuter's pick: Mark Ingram, Alabama running back
    * Draft Tek's pick: Anthony Castonzo, Boston College tackle

2. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Can you imagine the instant backlash they'd get for taking a a corner at 15?

Amukamara is a Vontae Davis clone. That's not a bad pick by itself and it'd be interesting to see how that position would shake out. But that pick would have Wanny written all over it and the fans would flip out. I don't see it.

Even a tackle....I think the instant reaction would be bad. The fans want an offensive skill player.

Jake Locker....I think the fact that he's a QB would soften the blow to a lot of fans. But it'd still be a less than positive reaction I think.

Gunner likes this.
  3. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I'd love Prince.

Skeet84 and ToddsPhins like this.
  4. Lane1974

Lane1974 New Member

Mar 23, 2008
    [video=youtube;ifp_SVrlurY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifp_SVrlurY[/video]

5. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    I think the only thing that will get a positive reaction would be a trade up to get one of the top two QBs (well, except KB if it was Newton :lol: ) ... anything else will be a mixed bag of good & bad or just plain bad.

6. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I think it's very possible that either Prince or Robert Quinn fall to us at 15.

IMO one potential dark horse scenario that pushes one or both of them down to us is Houston taking Phil Taylor to sure up the middle of their new 3-4. Combine that with Dallas hopefully taking LT or DE, Washington drafting Julio (or Green), and then Detroit taking a LT, and we could have both Quinn & Prince to choose from.

7. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I don't think it's a bad idea at all. We have to go through Brady possibly 3 times, and Manning & Rivers possibly once to make it to the SB...... and then perhaps facing Rodgers or Brees in the SB. B/c of this, I'd have no problem drafting Prince.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  8. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Not to mention our young CB's do a nice job and I really like their potential and while Vontae looked the role of a shutdown corner the 1st 13 games of last year his play declined a bit, and Smith who started picking up the slack cant catch a ball for shnit.

And Todd is exactly right this league is becoming pass happy so the more talent you have the better. Ofcourse getting more consistent pressure from your front 7 can make a DB's life a helluva lot easier.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  9. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Not surprising that 5 out of 8 so called experts picked Ingram at #15 for us. I'd say 80%+ of the mocks I've seen so far are pegging Ingram for the Dolphins at #15. It's the "safe" pick, and it makes the most sense in terms of need vs. BPA. And, if it ends up like that, my only real disappointment will be that we were unable to trade back and recoup the 2nd we traded away for Marshall. But, I do believe Ingram will either be a Dolphin or a Patsie when it's all said and done.

10. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    Kiper chimes in with backup 1st round options for every team: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/insider/columns/story?columnist=kiper_jr_mel&id=6280266

11. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Success in the NFL has hinged on passing proficiency for a long, long time. We already have four legitimate corners. We’re well-stocked there. What we need is a legitimate quarterback, a ballhawking safety in the mold of Polamalu/Reed/Mikell, and maybe better pass rush from the left side of the defense. (Looking at you, Misi.)

Ireland would definitely be eviscerated for drafting a corner at 15, and rightfully so.

texanphinatic likes this.
  12. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    I like both picks that are not Mark Ingram.

13. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Sad thing is that we had one of those needs all but filled in Earl Thomas, but moved out of the spot to pick up Oddrick instead.

For all the people wanting a trade down, some times it just isn't worth it. We will see what is sitting around for us at 15.

14. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Earl would have been nice. Berry even better. Worked out well for the Chiefs, at least. Hell, Mikell is a free agent if free agency ever resumes. I’d pay him big money, 30 years old or not.

15. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin Active Member

If the Phins could get Mallet in the 1st, Pouncey in the 2nd and Hankerson in the 3rd. I'd be a very happy man.

16. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Don't think Hankerson lasts that far, and you will probably need an early second for Pouncey along with some luck.

17. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Pouncey and Hankerson are both 1st round picks. Well, Hankerson might have to wait until the mid-30s. But he’s not going to be there in the 3rd.

18. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Yes, it has hinged on passing proficiency for a long time, however rule changes have recently made it even more difficult for defenses. I don't see how you can say we have 4 legitimate corners. Technically we have 1 aging, injury-plagued corner and 3 corners who have yet to absolutely prove themselves as consistently great (although 2 of them have shown the potential, while 1 of them flashed a little during limited playing time). The Packers and Jets showed how important great & consistent corner play truly is, and Green Bay showed how important solid depth is. Right now, we have neither.

You're speaking about things in the secondary that we might not be able to get <ballhawking safety> (at least not this year), so instead of needlessly spinning wheels on that, why not address what we potentially can address this year------ which is drafting a CB with upside who will have a chance to groom for a year behind Allen. There's nothing about finishing near last in INTs and allowing 9 passing TDs of 30+ yards that screams "our cornerback situation doesn't need improving". We lost some games b/c our pass coverage allowed too many big plays (and b/c they couldn't take advantage of ones afforded to them). If not for the excessive number of long TD receptions and dropped pick 6's, we'd probably end up 10-6.

I understand where you're thinking is coming from; however, the strength of this team lay in its defense. If we want to make the playoffs, then the defense needs to join the ranks of the elite. If we can improve it with the addition of a talented corner, then we should be happy that we even have a chance to improve. Sapp was a stop gap and might not be back, and I seriously don't see how any team can be effective with only 3 corners should Allen (or whomever) get injured.

19. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I say it because no one can have a perfect situation. You can’t roster Asomugha, Woodson, and Revis simultaneously.

Davis and Smith have already shown me that they’ll be very good at their positions for the entirety of their careers. I have no doubts about those guys. (Well, okay, Smith can’t catch a cold, but besides that.) Allen should still have gas in the tank since he doesn’t have two additional years of football wear and tear, plus he’s taking a limited role. Carroll showed me something as a future slot corner. Sapp I’m not high on, but he’s rosterable.

Given a choice, I would rather upgrade at a starting safety position, not at a depth corner position. And this is assuming we fill the gaping hole at QB, too.

20. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    Here is a trade down scenario by GBN: http://www.gbnreport.com/2011projection.html

They have been posing different trade down Mocks ever so often ... but they consistently peg us with Igram

We'd move down to Saints pick at 24

24 HB Ingram OSU
    56 G/C Hudson FSU
    79 WR Gates Abilene Christian