1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eric Wood

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by mroz, Nov 22, 2008.

Tags:
  1. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    anyone have any opinions on this guy? I was just watching him vs. WV and was impressed by him. Did some reading up om him and people seem to think he is a 3rd round talent.

2. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I think he is an option. I know they talked about moving Satele to Guard which might be best. He is by far the best C in the draft IMO.

3. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    This is the strongest draft I can remember for mike me; if you throw in Mack and Max Unger and Antoine Caldwell as well as the vastly underrated Wood. Throw in a junior like Thomas Austin and you've got a really good group.

Wood is very smart, very consistent in the middle. Plays with great technique.

4. kyfinsfan

kyfinsfan New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Bluegrass State
    Wood has been one of the few bright spots for this UofL fan. He's been playing the bulk of the season gutting through a high ankle sprain suffered in the 2nd week of the season. Seems to be rounding back to health here late in the year.

Much like Jason Spitz a few years ago, he will prove to be a good NFL player. 4 year starter (rs his tFr year). For the Fins, he seems to lack some of the initial punch that the Fins look for out of their lineman (but his punch is better than Samson's). Really tough to fully evaluate him based on this year due to the inability to push off his injured ankle. Last year probably gives a better indication of his true strength. Still, he would be a good "get" as he could play any of the middle 3 OL positions. His true great strength is his intellectual abilities and general football smarts (which our FO will love). Stand up guy who could have packed it in during the last 2 years at UofL. The fact that he didn't probably speaks as highly of him as any other accolade would. Someone will get a player in the middle rounds with him.

5. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Just finished up watching Louisville for the 2nd time and concentrated solely on Wood when the Cardinals had the ball. He fires out very well from the snap; not as consistent with the four techniques - feet, knees, shoulders and hands - as Antoine Caldwell. He's very strong blocking down the line, especially to the right and he gets great leverage and push. He does however get rocked back quite a lot and when it happens once, he tends to start playing a little high. He also doesn't play with his head on a swivel; when a guy has no-one to block, you have to be completely aware of where your QB is and who's rushing, but Wood tends to be very focused simply with his eyes downfield and twice he allowed uncecessary hits on Cantwell. He's also not athletic to the 2nd level and he misses a lot of blocks out there. In line he's excellent, especially in a rhythm, but I was much more disappointed in him than I was previously in the season.

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  6. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I was impressed, to say the least, by Caldwell in the UF game. As much as I like him, I still see Alex Mack as a natural fit. I also view him as the missing link, assuming that Donald Thomas and Justin Smiley make it back full strength, in terms of competing against the likes of Wilfork, Jenkins and Stroud twice a year. So I'm curious- what's your opinion of Alex Mack?

7. kyfinsfan

kyfinsfan New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Bluegrass State
    I just want to be clear on Wood. He doesn't play at the level of Mack, Caldwell, and probably not Unger (though I haven't watched Unger as much) in my opinion. I share Boomer's love of Caldwell's technique. I do think that Wood looses his "fit" (balance/hand placement) at times against quicker DTs - especially this year (more on that in the paragraph that follows). I do however think Wood could be had in rounds 4-5, while the others will be gone. So perhaps he could be a good value pick in those rounds. Wood's not a mauler, more a positional/finesse blocker in my opinion, but he is very smart and started 4 years at Center under 3 different offenses. Additionally he possesses all the "intangibles" you look for from that position. So there's some value in that.

Boomer if you have a chance take a look Wood 2008 and compare with Wood 2007. I'd be interested in your analysis. I think his bum wheel was bothering him more than has been let on. The 2nd level issues present this year, didn't seem as prevalent last year. Additionally, there were times this year that he was beat off the snap and lost the point of attack (which led to some uncharacteristic holding penalties and early play blowups)...again, hadn't seen that prior to this year. Generally, I think he played on one leg much of the year and his production level wasn't what it was in '07.

As a UofL fan, I will compliment Wood on continuing to play, despite a high ankle sprain, when it would have been easy to mail it in (especially given the drain circle that has become UofL football). He will play in the league and could provide some good back-up depth at any of the middle 3 positions. Somebody's gonna get a pretty good player, I'm not so sure he does what the Fins are looking for though. Of course, I say that extrapolating that Samson isn't giving them what they want either.

8. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Strong C class, strong S class, strong LB class. I think Miami may let the talent take them in those directions.

9. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Strong OT class as well. And looking back at previous drafts, it's a very strong DT class if the likely suspects come out.

10. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Not sure I have any Louisville left from last year, but will check.