1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

End of the Season Q&A with Philbin

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by finsincebirth, Jan 9, 2013.

1. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Some interesting comments if you want to take a look:

On Ryan

An insight to how what they are thinking heading into the offseason

Goals for the offseason

There are some other things in there, here's the link for the rest. http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/a...ffseason/b2090c09-c0c8-4243-b971-dc718f34c5a9

2. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Somewhat of a given, but interesting none the less.

Especially in retrospect, and now moving forward.

Bpk and MonstBlitz like this.
  3. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    The thing I like about Philbin when compared to a guy like Sparano is he has a very good understanding of why things went wrong and what needs to be fixed. He knows what needs improvement. And the things he knows he needs to improve are the things that correlate with winning. Sparano always reacted to losing, but they were usually the wrong reactions to resolve things with very little correlation to winning.

Whether or not Philbin can fix the issues remains to be seen but I'm hopeful.

jegol71 and DolfanTom like this.
  4. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Agreed. I really like the fact that he flat out said we need to be more explosive and we can't survive on 14 play drives. Whether they get the right players to solve that problem remains to be seen, but at least he's aware of the problem. It's a breath of fresh air from other regimes.

dolfan7171, Shamboubou and MonstBlitz like this.
  5. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Re: End of the Season Q&A with Philbin

Yeah he seems to have a much more honest approach to the media which is nice for us.

smahtaz, dolfan7171, Hiruma78 and 2 others like this.
  6. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I think he needs to come up with a motivational program for the players... possibly involving a metaphorical mammalian predator, and how the players should 'feed it.' :shifty:

7. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Feed the Otter!

8. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

End of the Season Q&A with Philbin

This is why I have hope Ireland will draft well this year. Philbin's input and philosophy on the types of players we want at each position.

smahtaz, dolfan7171, Ozzy and 3 others like this.
  9. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL

And now that hes had a year to see what he has to work with (or lack thereof), the input should be weighed heavily and highly valued.... imo.

smahtaz, Canad-phin and Bpk like this.
  10. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Ryan Tannehill and the rest of the Miami dolphins need to realize that this is the modern game played by exceptional athletes, if you are not improving your speed and muscle to fat ratio you WILL NOT LAST, and you will NOT reach your potential..

You hear me dolphins, take your little vacation, let the body recover, and get your freakin asses in the gym, with a trainer, and get scientific with this sh&$..you'll make that money if you do..

Bpk likes this.
  11. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yeah Tannehill definitely needs that pep talk with all the laziness and flab he played with........

12. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Hot body, good player. We have been over this

NolesNPhinsFan likes this.
  13. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

To be fair , that was the case last year and Ireland specifically mentioned his job was to go and get the players Philbin wanted. Still to be determined if that occured last year , but the game plan was the same as it is this year.

14. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    He needs to improve his strength and quickness..

15. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Hard Knocks left me with a really bad feeling on Philbin. He had the brook trout look throughout the entire show.

16. Berezo

Berezo Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    I love how he values tradition so highly. That right there, makes me like him all the better.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  17. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    It's pretty much the same thing Sparano was always talking about as "chunk" yardage or plays. Philbin may end up being better at making it happen (time will tell) but what he is saying now is no different from what Sparano said almost continuously throught the 2010 offseason. Cameron before that as well.

shula_guy likes this.
  18. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    The Gm has to be good as his job, coaches all want the same.

19. ajaffe9

ajaffe9 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 20, 2012
    I like that Philbin always seems to be thinking through everything. No detail is too small. I'm really excited to see his development as a head coach. He came from a great organization in Green Bay and saw how to build success over time. Watching the post game speeches, granted they were after wins, the players really seemed to like the coach and reacted well to him. I think he keeps progressing positively.

smahtaz and dolfan7171 like this.
  20. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yet he presided over a ground and pound style offense. Even the "explosive" WildCat formation was run out of almost exclusively. I mean he started with the weakest arm QB to play in the modern era and then tried to make Henne the same thing. Sparano may have talked about chunk yardage, but did ****all in trying to make it happen.

mbsinmisc and Mcduffie81 like this.
  21. Berezo

Berezo Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    I see it kind of working out like Matt Ryan did. He will finally understand that he needs to really improve his core and be completely fit.

22. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    It's kind of milquetoast but his answer about big plays is at least minorly revealing.

Big plays on offense and big plays on defense. Wide receiver and defensive back.

Ozzy and ToddPhin like this.
  23. Bpk

I've always wondered if you walk the walk or just talk the talk.

-grins-

24. Bpk

They didn't have a common vocabulary. Now they will review all of the Dolphins players together. Ireland and Philbin will see where their perceptions do not match on some players. That communication helps.

Also, Ireland has said that he and Tony Sparano spoke almost EVERY NIGHT on the phone during Tony's rookie coaching season. That they got on the same page that way. When Philbin came in, he and Ireland had not done that. Now, presumably, he and Jeff have had MANY conversations (hopefully nightly) about team direction, player performance, what the issues are, each of their ideas on how to solve them, player evals, etc.

Like a marriage. It takes communication.

Fin D likes this.
  25. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Indeed.

Could you imagine being a fly on the wall listening to Sparano & Henning imparting their offseason wishes & needs? eek.

26. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    .... and perhaps another disruptive pass rusher..... and a better playmaking-esque TE.

GMJohnson likes this.
  27. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I prefer to feed the beaver.

gunn34 likes this.
  28. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    .... except this year they should have a better understanding of each other and of the team itself, especially after a season in two new schemes.

29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    6'1 180..don't work out like I used to, but I eat right, and if I had the oppurtunity to set myself and my family up for life financially by using my body to play a game, my sh&$ would be hi tech...damn strait I'm gonna get the best out of the most important tool that determines the level of financial security.

Imo, these athletes that make it to this level have special bodies that enable them to do so, to put bad gas, and to consistently neglect maintenance on the Ferrari, is downright dumb, and disrespectful to those who never get a chance because of their inherent physical limitations.

smahtaz, gunn34 and dolfan7171 like this.
  30. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Fair enough. But let's not forget about OL and DL.

Gotta have time for your WRs to work downfield for those big plays, or a run game that forces the defense into favorable coverages. And I don't care how good your DBs are, they will get beat by any good QB if he's sipping lemonade in the pocket.

Outside of WR I'm looking to upgrade the pass rush. Put the QB on his *** a few times and your average DBs will start looking like good ones.

gunn34 likes this.
  31. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    That list could and should include TE and pass rusher.

32. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    It was so awkward when Chad Johnson showed up and sat in on the Q & A...

33. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

Yeah but Sparano was kind of a BS artist when he talked like that. He said they needed chunk yardage but yet he let Henne be handcuffed and it seemed that most of that chunk yardage he wanted was to come from the running game.

smahtaz likes this.
  34. Ozzy

Yep they would both agree that they needed to bring the FG posts closer and widen them.........

fist pump please!!

GMJohnson and ToddPhin like this.
  35. Ozzy

And Cornerback!

36. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    Pat White and the pistol. David Lee has a boner and has no idea why. Brilliant. :wink2:

37. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Looking how successful the pistol was this year, it was the right idea. Just the wrong player.

smahtaz, djphinfan and Stitches like this.
  38. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    And yet the beaver is never full....:shifty:

39. Califin

Califin Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2007
    It seems the difference between this year and last year, is that Philbin specifically downplayed popular opinion, regarding the urgency to upgrade the WR position, with greater playmaking potential, or more definitively, to acquire a no 1 recieving talent. I could be mistaken, but it appears the past 5 months may have provided ithe impetus to reconsider that perception.

40. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    So awesome...

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/a...b-Griese/68885de0-4fa8-40a6-8181-f4371c03a28a