Edwards and Beck Comparison

52 replies

Georgia FinGeorgia FinForum VeteranOP
Aug 16, 2008, 08:56 AM

Fox sports had this up. I was suprised to hear we targeted Edwards if Beck wasn't available.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8451656/QBs-Edwards,-Beck-headed-down-different-paths

Not sure Edwards would have survived down here either?:pity:

It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Lab3003Lab3003New Member
Aug 16, 2008, 10:40 AM

I agree. Samething with Drew Brees (Vs) Daunte Culpepper. If Drew were here, he'd looking for a job now with his height and weight

JAjake23Supporter
Aug 16, 2008, 11:11 AM

Disagree completely. Brees may not have had the same level of success here that he has had in NO, but he is too good to have been a bust. There is a reason Culpepper doesn't have a job, he just isn't very good anymore. Brees is a stud who would have helped turn us around much more quickly than will be the case without him.

GARDENHEADGARDENHEADSupporter
Aug 16, 2008, 12:03 PM

I'm not sold on Edwards being a quality QB in the NFL. The threw a LOT of picks last year. The jury is still out on both guys.

As for Brees vs Daunte, Brees would have been great in a Miami uni. Culpepper's problems were due to his injury, not a lack of talent surrounding him.

Tanking is like taking a Greyhound bus cross-country. Sure, it may eventually get you where you want to go, but it’s messy and unpleasant and uncomfortable, it stinks, the entire time you’ll be wishing you weren’t there, and not everybody along for the ride is going to make it to the end. - Quote stolen from Deadspin

ALalen1New Member
Aug 16, 2008, 12:49 PM

Ginn and Beck both failed to impress as rookies.

How did Ginn fail to impress? I thought he did very well out there. He had no Quarterback and still caught 34 of 36 passes. I thought he ran pretty good routes for a guy whose been playing WR for 3 years coming into the rookie season. He did all he could including scoring on Special Teams.

As for Beck, you can make a case that he didn't put up the statistics that you'd like to see but his supporting cast wasn't all that great either. The main weapon, Ronnie Brown, was out. He had no receivers really, Ginn was still getting comfortable.

Edwards, imo, had a much better supporting cast with a number one receiver in Evans, a good offensive line and a stud RB in Marshawn Lynch. Edwards played in ten total games and put up 7 touchdowns and 8 interceptions. In Beck's five total games, he put up 1 touchdown and 3 interceptions. I know its a big difference but again the supporting cast is better in Buffalo imo. If you give 10 games like Edwards had, and you double his numbers, it comes out to 2 touchdowns and 6 interceptions. They put up the same completion % and Edwards QB rating was 8.4 higher than Beck's.

While both didn't impress statistically, I feel that Edwards played better overall, managing the game with weapons. Beck was thrown into the fire with a lack of weapons around him and failed to impress the media and some fans.

SuncoastFinsFanSuncoastFinsFanNew Member
Aug 16, 2008, 12:52 PM

"GARDENHEAD wrote:

I'm not sold on Edwards being a quality QB in the NFL. The threw a LOT of picks last year. The jury is still out on both guys.

As for Brees vs Daunte, Brees would have been great in a Miami uni. Culpepper's problems were due to his injury, not a lack of talent surrounding him.

Edwards has shown that he has what it takes to be an NFL QB. He played well in some games last year as a rookie and he got bigger and stronger in the offseason, and shows a "starting QBs mentality".

I think we have our Edwards in Henne. Let's hope so.

I love Ozzie Newsome "keepin' it real" in the article. So many people make so many ridiculous claims as to why a new regime doesn't like a player and they don't just put the responsibility where it belongs....ON THE PLAYER.

Wanna start? Go and outperform the other guys (like Edwards did).

"It is the mark of the educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it". Aristotle

calphincalphinNew Member
Aug 16, 2008, 01:26 PM

"SuncoastFinsFan wrote:

Edwards has shown that he has what it takes to be an NFL QB. He played well in some games last year as a rookie and he got bigger and stronger in the offseason, and shows a "starting QBs mentality".

I think we have our Edwards in Henne. Let's hope so.

I love Ozzie Newsome "keepin' it real" in the article. So many people make so many ridiculous claims as to why a new regime doesn't like a player and they don't just put the responsibility where it belongs....ON THE PLAYER.

Wanna start? Go and outperform the other guys (like Edwards did).

I hope we have better! Edwards isn't the second coming of Marino...the jury is still out!!!


Thanks Gish

Coral ReeferCoral ReeferNew Member
Aug 16, 2008, 01:30 PM

"Lab3003 wrote:

I agree. Samething with Drew Brees (Vs) Daunte Culpepper. If Drew were here, he'd looking for a job now with his height and weight

That's absurd.

There's no way they'd be cutting a guy who has now proven himself as a top QB simlpy because of height.

Hell, it may not have mattered as Saban may still be here.
It was one of the rumors that the setback from the wrong QB choice was one of the mistakes that weighed heavily on him and made him decide he had no patience for the building process in the NFL.

RIP Jetssuck

Coral ReeferCoral ReeferNew Member
Aug 16, 2008, 01:33 PM

"SuncoastFinsFan wrote:

Edwards has shown that he has what it takes to be an NFL QB. He played well in some games last year as a rookie and he got bigger and stronger in the offseason, and shows a "starting QBs mentality".

I think we have our Edwards in Henne. Let's hope so.

I love Ozzie Newsome "keepin' it real" in the article. So many people make so many ridiculous claims as to why a new regime doesn't like a player and they don't just put the responsibility where it belongs....ON THE PLAYER.

Wanna start? Go and outperform the other guys (like Edwards did).

This is rich.....

Edwards didn't prove anything last year.
He played admirably in the position he was put into.
We'll see how he performs and progresses this year.

The "he shows a starting QB mentality" comment is as funny to me as hearing Fire Marshall Bill on Monday night football predict successful young QB's by the way they stand on the sideline as the camera is on them. :rolleyes:

RIP Jetssuck

Coral ReeferCoral ReeferNew Member
Aug 16, 2008, 01:36 PM

"alen1 wrote:

How did Ginn fail to impress? I thought he did very well out there. He had no Quarterback and still caught 34 of 36 passes. I thought he ran pretty good routes for a guy whose been playing WR for 3 years coming into the rookie season. He did all he could including scoring on Special Teams.

As for Beck, you can make a case that he didn't put up the statistics that you'd like to see but his supporting cast wasn't all that great either. The main weapon, Ronnie Brown, was out. He had no receivers really, Ginn was still getting comfortable.

Edwards, imo, had a much better supporting cast with a number one receiver in Evans, a good offensive line and a stud RB in Marshawn Lynch. Edwards played in ten total games and put up 7 touchdowns and 8 interceptions. In Beck's five total games, he put up 1 touchdown and 3 interceptions. I know its a big difference but again the supporting cast is better in Buffalo imo. If you give 10 games like Edwards had, and you double his numbers, it comes out to 2 touchdowns and 6 interceptions. They put up the same completion % and Edwards QB rating was 8.4 higher than Beck's.

While both didn't impress statistically, I feel that Edwards played better overall, managing the game with weapons. Beck was thrown into the fire with a lack of weapons around him and failed to impress the media and some fans.

Alen, it's just the nature of the avg. fan.

Most have never played the game on competitive levels to know how true the "transition process" is going from one level to another. Allowing prospects the time to develop is a foreign concept to most.

RIP Jetssuck

DesidesDesidesForum Veteran
Aug 16, 2008, 01:38 PM

"SuncoastFinsFan wrote:

I think we have our Edwards in Henne. Let's hope so.

If all we have in Henne is Trent Edwards, we might as well trade/cut the guy now.

@desides01

"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

funkdatfunkdatNew Member
Aug 16, 2008, 01:43 PM

"Desides wrote:

If all we have in Henne is Trent Edwards, we might as well trade/cut the guy now.

LOL The hate.................I LOVE IT!!!!:knucks:

:hammertime:

calphincalphinNew Member
Aug 16, 2008, 01:45 PM

"desides wrote:

if all we have in henne is trent edwards, we might as well trade/cut the guy now.

bam!!


Thanks Gish

DesidesDesidesForum Veteran
Aug 16, 2008, 01:51 PM

"funkdat wrote:

LOL The hate.................I LOVE IT!!!!:knucks:

Hate? No. But Edwards isn't exactly the best QB to ever play the game. He appears to be solid, and may well be Buffalo's starter for a long time. But he's not upper-echelon, and I think comparing Henne to Edwards is tantamount to giving up on having top-tier QB play back in Miami.

But I think giving up on Beck is also giving up on having top-tier QB play back in Miami, so hey.

@desides01

"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

funkdatfunkdatNew Member
Aug 16, 2008, 02:03 PM

"Desides wrote:

Hate? No. But Edwards isn't exactly the best QB to ever play the game. He appears to be solid, and may well be Buffalo's starter for a long time. But he's not upper-echelon, and I think comparing Henne to Edwards is tantamount to giving up on having top-tier QB play back in Miami.

But I think giving up on Beck is also giving up on having top-tier QB play back in Miami, so hey.

I agree with you 100%.

I also think Beck could be great, and all Henne can ever be is Solid.I hated Henna when he was in school, but i have liked what i've seen from him so far "very lil" but still.

:hammertime:

DesidesDesidesForum Veteran
Aug 16, 2008, 02:04 PM

In the very best case scenario, Beck becomes Drew Brees and Henne becomes Carson Palmer.

@desides01

"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

BuckeyeKingBuckeyeKingNew Member
Aug 16, 2008, 02:18 PM

I wanted Trent Edwards :pity:

DesidesDesidesForum Veteran
Aug 16, 2008, 02:19 PM

"BuckeyeKing wrote:

I wanted Trent Edwards :pity:

I liked him at the time of the draft, too. What does that say? :up:

@desides01

"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

LarryfinfanLarryfinfanSupporter
Aug 16, 2008, 02:23 PM

Any comparison between Edwards and Beck has to be biased....Edwards had an established system, a solid if not spectacular OL, a very good RB albeit a rookie and solid, again if not spectacular WRs and TE play. He had a solid starting point in that offense with the coaching staff. They were not and apparently are still not enamored with JP so he was 'expected' to be the guy there by the staff... he may very well continue to develop soundly and looks to at least be a serviceable QB in this league, if not better.

Beck had a brand new system that the entire team was learning, a mediocre to poor OL, poor TEs and WRs, no run game to speak of, and a coaching staff that didn't want him to be starting last year and ill-prepared him as a result of that feeling with the staff. None of us thought that Beck had a successful start to his career and there is doubt that he may develop into more than a serviceable back up, but that is based on the above data. If he gets an opportunity here to develop the right way (which looks doubtful with the Pennington signing) he may have a chance to be even better. To compare him to Brees, without the opportunity that Brees had is unfair. To compare him to Edwards likewise is unfair at this point in time, not due to his performance or his potential, but due to the circumstances the Fins have afforded him thus far in his career here...

DesidesDesidesForum Veteran
Aug 16, 2008, 02:29 PM

"Larryfinfan wrote:

To compare him to Brees, without the opportunity that Brees had is unfair.

Kind of. It's just a measure of potential; scouts do it all the time when projecting how college players will perform. Beck drew plenty of Brees comparisons when coming out. I think they're valid, but he needs development to get to that level, if he can.

@desides01

"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

SuncoastFinsFanSuncoastFinsFanNew Member
Aug 16, 2008, 02:49 PM

"calphin wrote:

I hope we have better! Edwards isn't the second coming of Marino...the jury is still out!!!

Who has been the second coming of Marino? Not many.

If by next season, Henne can be (like Edwards) the undisputed starter and leader of our team, we will have done great.

Of course we hope EVERY player we have is better than every player the Bills have. That gees without saying, doesn't it?

"It is the mark of the educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it". Aristotle

SuncoastFinsFanSuncoastFinsFanNew Member
Aug 16, 2008, 02:54 PM

"Coral Reefer wrote:

This is rich.....

Edwards didn't prove anything last year.
He played admirably in the position he was put into.
We'll see how he performs and progresses this year.

The "he shows a starting QB mentality" comment is as funny to me as hearing Fire Marshall Bill on Monday night football predict successful young QB's by the way they stand on the sideline as the camera is on them. :rolleyes:

Its not rich, its true. But go ahead and deny facts if you want. Its your perrogative. :knucks:

Edwards did prove SOMETHING last year. He proved that he has the ability to play in the NFL. Not every rookie QB proved that last year...as a matter of fact, I would say he is the only one who did.

We will see how he progresses this year. Did you catch the Pittsburgh game the other night? Not too shabby. If Beck played like Edwards played, you'd wet yourself.

And I think its funny that you think its funny...seeing how professionals who earn a living evaluating players disagree with you. But there is nothing that says you can't laugh, even when the jokes on you.

"It is the mark of the educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it". Aristotle

SuncoastFinsFanSuncoastFinsFanNew Member
Aug 16, 2008, 02:59 PM

"Coral Reefer wrote:

Alen, it's just the nature of the avg. fan.

Most have never played the game on competitive levels to know how true the "transition process" is going from one level to another. Allowing prospects the time to develop is a foreign concept to most.

The problem with your analysis Reefer, is that it is made with a Beck backdrop.

True, Beck needs (much) more time to develop. Edwards doesn't. Edwards has shown an ability to play this game at a very high level. And he's shown an ability to improve from his first year.

The concept that seems to be foreign to "most" is that sometimes other teams players develops faster than others. You, at least, haven't grasped that....yet. Hopefully you will take off your Beck Blinders and see the reality soon.

"It is the mark of the educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it". Aristotle

FrayserFrayserForum Veteran
Aug 16, 2008, 03:03 PM

"Desides wrote:

Hate? No. But Edwards isn't exactly the best QB to ever play the game. He appears to be solid, and may well be Buffalo's starter for a long time. But he's not upper-echelon, and I think comparing Henne to Edwards is tantamount to giving up on having top-tier QB play back in Miami.

But I think giving up on Beck is also giving up on having top-tier QB play back in Miami, so hey.

This is what I don't understand. You say Edwards isn't upper-echelon. Ok, agreed for now. But he has at least shown something in the games he has started. Beck hasn't, but you are sure if we give up on him we are letting a top-tier QB go? I'm not sure I see the consistency unless you just feel your personal judgment on QBs is superior to most peoples'.

Edwards was the guy I wanted. That doesn't mean I haven't been a huge supporter of Beck since we selected him. But right now, I would swap Beck for Edwards in a heartbeat. I really don't see how anyone could feel otherwise.

SuncoastFinsFanSuncoastFinsFanNew Member
Aug 16, 2008, 03:04 PM

"Desides wrote:

If all we have in Henne is Trent Edwards, we might as well trade/cut the guy now.

ROFLMAO! Man, your guys love for Beck is making some of you completely irrational.

You are telling me that if Henne is the starter by next preseason and his teammates are raving about his work ethic and leadership you wouldn't call him an unmitigated success?

Why not (other than your affection for Beck, which I already know)?

"It is the mark of the educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it". Aristotle