1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Early on, Dolphins offensive line displays its shaky side

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by njfinfan, Jul 28, 2008.

1. njfinfan

njfinfan The First Lady

Nov 23, 2007
    Newark, NJ
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-flspdolphins28sbjul28,0,7612930.story

Every little step counts when you're an offensive lineman, and bad ones often can be costly.

At least it was for Jake Long on Sunday. Long took too wide an angle trying to contain speedy outside linebacker Charlie Anderson during an 11-on-11 scrimmage-like situation. That mistake allowed Anderson to use his arm to get Long off balance, creating an alley for him to get past the No. 1 pick, pressuring quarterback John Beck.

PMZQ, alen1, ATVZ400 and 2 others like this.
  2. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Gotta love those growing pains, sometimes they're akward and not pretty. I'm hoping Long will be like Satele and start hitting his stride around Week 6.:up:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  3. mullingan

mullingan New Grandbaby Pic!!!

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN
    Like the offense in general, this line will need to be set and just get reps. Unlike defense, which is much more read and react, the offensive side of the ball require rep after rep to get thier timing and assignments down. Hopefully it all comes together rather quickly. I would hope, at least the offensive line starters will have been selected by the first preseason game (at least 4 out of 5) and all 5 by the 2nd game.

cdz12250 likes this.
  4. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    The glue that will bind this line together just needs more time to set.

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  5. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I believe this is the youngest OL in the league. If they struggle as a unit in the 3rd preseason game, I'll worry a lot more than seeing them struggle as a unit in the 3rd day of training camp...

PMZQ and alen1 like this.
  6. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I would be surprised if they didn't struggle in the 3rd regular season game.

7. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    O-lines need continuity. The seeds have been planted, they just need time to grow.

alen1 likes this.
  8. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Yeah...that would suck, but probably be realistic.

9. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Anyone want to lay odds about how long before we'll see someone start that yearly tradition of deeming our rookies a bust. I mean how many reports of Jake Long taking some lumps in practices as he grows before that first shell is launched by some fool?

Couple more tid bits about Long messing up on one play in practice and it'll rear its ugly head.

I'm not worried about this OL as of yet.
    There's some talent here now and it's just going to take a little time.

10. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Jake Long is a bust !!!!!1!!111!

j/k Coral, I get your point.

I guess I'm surprised at the tone of this article. We should expect growing pains, we're starting 3 new players with another (Vernon Carey) switching positions. It'll take a while for everything to work out, but I have the feeling by the end of the season the O-Line will be one of this team's strengths.

Colorado Dolfan likes this.
  11. vinivedivichi

vinivedivichi New Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Tampa
    Just had a thought...maybe we should continually rotate all five positions on the line to make everyone think their job is in jeopardy. Then, after all the preseason games we can throw the starters together and they'll all be better off for the struggle...

12. New Era

New Era Waterboy

Nov 28, 2007
    That was pretty much the only knock that I ever really heard on him...speed rushers give him trouble. I hope he gets better at it, before Miami starts making a run at the playoffs. I guess he has a couple of seasons to get better. :(

13. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Agreed and yes I read somewhere that they are the youngest by over a full year than the next youngest.