1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dwight Stephenson Very Impressed With Pouncey's Progress

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MrClean, Oct 2, 2012.

1. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

[​IMG]

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/a...Progress/d1e0292e-45cb-4859-948c-ef74d9704499

the 23rd, ToddPhin, Ozzy and 9 others like this.
  2. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I am impressed with Pouncey too. I hope one day to see him in the hall of fame alongside Stephenson.

ToddPhin likes this.
  3. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    What does Stephenson know about playing center? He probably thinks center is an important position. Everyone knows that Pouncey was a terrible pick in the first round because great centers quite literally grow on trees. We should have taken Mallett or Ingram or any other skill position player.

4. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    I saw Dwight Stephenson at Publix once in the early 90s and told him we needed him back on the team. He seemed truly appreciative of the comment.

djphinfan likes this.
  5. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Pouncey has been really good this season and zone blocking really fits him. His success has been pretty heavily ignored here relative to how good he's been.

Bpk likes this.
  6. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

F@ck Marty Lyons.

7. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I read this and:

First I was all ".....?......what???...."

Then I was all "ooooooooooh :lol:"

eltos_lightfoot, ToddPhin and RevRick like this.
  8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    " We have the best center in the game..."

Ahhh, that feels nice to say..

Fu&$ yeah man..best center in the game, it's starting to sink in...lol

Any perspective on having two players along the line that are the best at their positions?

How good are we DPate?

9. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    I was critical of the pick. Because IMO with all the holes they had, you pick a center in the top 15 and he is not a future HOF, that would have been severely devastating. I didn't think he was as good as his brother. But luckily Pouncey so far has been able to live up to the unbelievably high expectations of being the highest drafted center in more than twenty years. +1 Ireland.

Alex44 likes this.
  10. MrClean

Actually it was 18 years after Steve Everitt was drafted 14th. 1993.

PhinsRDbest and Alex44 like this.
  11. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Dwight Stephenson should know about good center play. He was the best center I have ever seen play in the NFL. Unfortunately his great career was cut short by injury, far too soon.

MRClean, I noticed your comments in regards to your heart always being in Oregon. My wife and I spent two weeks in Bend, Oregon a few years ago. I fell in love with Oregon and I would move there in a second, if not for the fact that our two grandsons are here in Miami and my wife is not going to move anywhere, as long as they are still here.

We have been to almost every single National Park in the United States and our favorite park by far is, Crater Lake National Park. I hope you have seen this beautiful park and anyone else on here that gets a chance to visit Oregon, make Crater Lake, a must see place to visit. Also a stay in Bend, Oregon will make you fall in love with the place.

MrClean likes this.
  12. MrClean

I am a member of SNOB.

13. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I'm not a drinker, but if I was, I am sure Oregon brewed beer would taste great.

14. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Thanks, dummy me was counting from this year.

15. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    When the best center who has ever lived talks you up you are doing just fine.

djphinfan likes this.
  16. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    I think you're talking about Mike Webster
    9 time pro bowl(when it meant something)
    9 time all pro
    4 time super bowl champ
    played 245 games at center
    Played in 177 consecutive games at center

17. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    That mother use to take on two guys, one with one hand, and one with the other, no bs, I've seen him lift players off the ground.

18. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I would put Dwight Stephenson up with Mike Webster.

gafinfan likes this.
  19. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I loved the Pouncey pick b/c I think the position has become increasingly important due to the prevalence of A-gap blitzes (to combat the quick passing game) and b/c I thought he could potentially be this good. I had him rated better than his brother.

Fin D, Bpk and ToddPhin like this.
  20. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I would Dwight Stephenson AHEAD of Mike Webster. Bill Walsh did.

gafinfan likes this.
  21. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I wish we could objectively say that.

22. M1NDCRlME

M1NDCRlME Fear The Spear

Oct 26, 2009
    Orlando
    Cut him...

23. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Is there another left tackle you would take over Jake, he's 27?

24. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    with the money he will command, i have to say...i hope we think about it

25. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The highest drafted center in NFL history had damn well better be not just good but Hall of Fame caliber excellent.

So in that sense, Pouncey can't really win, because he can never really surpass expectations the way that a UDFA center can.

26. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    When I see Ryan Cook doing well it sort of tosses this into question for me.

It's about value and players who produce Td's that win football games, as great as a HoF center is, they don't produce points.

27. MrClean

I'm not much of a beer drinker, but there are some great microbreweries here.

28. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I find I agree with your assessments more than with most people's on the board. Wish you'd put out a draft board, and/or a FA one.

29. MrClean

Not even close. His name was Bob Johnson. Drafted 2nd overall by the Bengals in 1968.

30. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    who cares. Maybe in your eyes a #15 pick center can't really win, but in my eyes it's a major victory when he significantly improves aspects of our offense (ones that were barren before hand) as well as allows Reggie Bush to earn every bit of his $5 million and break some of those exciting plays that make us jump up and spill food and/or beer all over ourselves.

Remember in 2010 when Buffalo wasn't doing much on the ground and many people thought CJ Spiller was a bust? Then what happened when their 1st round center, 2nd round guard, and 3rd round guard began kicking it into gear? The trio allowed Spiller & Jackson to tear up the league is what happened.... and now you have Spiller throwing up Madden like stats with 8.3 yards per carry.

So far, Pouncey is the MVP of this offense..... and the value he brings to both the run & pass game at a cost of just $2.3 million/year is well worth a #15 pick, especially considering his #18 pick brother costs $1.6 million per year more.

MrClean and Fin D like this.
  31. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    If you're not picking in the top 10 or 12 depending on the year, then a 1st round pick is basically a 1st round pick.
    If the player is likely destined to become one of the league's best at his position and makes your team better, then it's a win. period. Some of the dumbest stuff I hear is when people say, "well, I realllly wanted the guy badly but onnnly if I were drafting at 30 rather than 15", and then he ends up on someone else's team and you lose out on your guy.

Fin D, rafael, Den54 and 1 other person like this.
  32. MrClean

This is why I think the Seahawks were smart in the 1st round this year, and didn't reach like everyone seemed to be saying. Irvin so far looks well worth where he was picked, at least a round higher than anyone on the outside imagined.

ToddPhin likes this.
  33. MrClean

2nd round left tackle too.

ToddPhin likes this.
  34. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Pouncey has the most well-kempt nosehairs of any center in 20 years.

ToddPhin likes this.
  35. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I was actually thinking about him when I said it, Marve. :yes:

I only wish there's a pass rusher with his ability in this year's draft who will be available when we pick, but I don't see it as of yet.
    Totally bums me out that we couldn't have him, as much or more so than missing out on Barwin.... but I wouldn't have taken him over Tanny of course.

36. MrClean

I hope Shelby keeps developing. Vernon too, but Shelby excites more. He has only 31 pass rush snaps, and 5 hurries, so disrupts the QB once every 6 snaps or so. Vernon has 74 pass rush snaps and 6 hurries. According to PFF, neither has a hit or sack, though I think nfl.com gave Vernon a half sack against the Jets. Shelby is disrupting twice as often as Vernon.

Irvin has rushed the passer on 97 snaps and has 3 sacks, 2 hit, 9 hurries, for a total of 14 disruptions and about once every 7 snaps.

ToddPhin likes this.
  37. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Thanks, I just don't scout enough players to do that. I feel pretty confident in the assessments I do make though. For the most part, I tend to just scout guys that catch my eye or I hear about from others.

Bpk likes this.
  38. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    You replied, so, you do.

ToddPhin and Bpk like this.
  39. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Very much agree.

We draft a guy at an important position, who is even better than we hoped and will probably be a perennial Pro Bowler...yet its being treated like a failure pick.

ToddPhin likes this.
  40. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    That's closer to what I felt. Although I wouldn't have said "destined". I thought he had a chance to be the best in the league a good chance to be top 5 at his position and that was more than good enough for me. I also think that the C position has become the most important OL position, even above LT, so for me it's a core position. I think people need to see those positional importance changes. I think Walsh saw that with the S position decades before everybody else who kept thinking that you don't take Ss high. I think TE has also increased in positional importance. If Parcells had realized that he'd have taken Graham when he should have. Conversely I would argue that the value of CB has decreased yet teams still look at them as core position players.

ToddPhin, Bpk and Fin D like this.