Drummers!

23 replies

Mcduffie81Mcduffie81SupporterOP
Apr 28, 2020, 06:28 PM

I’m a drummer. I’m 39 and have been playing since I was about 12. I’ll give you a few of my favorites (I have many more). But I’d love to hear some of yours.

Mick Fleetwood, Dale Crover, Dave Grohl, Matt Cameron, Ken Schalk, Charlie Watts.

Let’s hear some opinions. I’m even open to the overly technical drummers that follow a metal template that so many teens are dying to ejaculate to. So feel free to post those too!

"There is nothing to fear, except everyone trying to tackle me." - Ted Ginn Jr.

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
May 10, 2020, 10:37 AM

I'll be honest. Even though I enjoy music, like most people, I have absolutely no idea what makes a person a great drummer vs an OK one. I can listen to a person play nearly any other instrument and recognize that he or she is highly skilled, but beyond being credible at drumming vs incompetent, I'm not able to differentiate. Sometimes a song will have a cool drum feature that I enjoy, but again, I'm not able to tell whether its the person playing, or just the music that's written that makes it special.

I was a trumpet player in school myself, but haven't touched a musical instrument since the Autumn of 1994.

Mcduffie81Mcduffie81Supporter
May 10, 2020, 01:09 PM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

I'll be honest. Even though I enjoy music, like most people, I have absolutely no idea what makes a person a great drummer vs an OK one. I can listen to a person play nearly any other instrument and recognize that he or she is highly skilled, but beyond being credible at drumming vs incompetent, I'm not able to differentiate. Sometimes a song will have a cool drum feature that I enjoy, but again, I'm not able to tell whether its the person playing, or just the music that's written that makes it special.

I was a trumpet player in school myself, but haven't touched a musical instrument since the Autumn of 1994.

Well everyone appreciates different qualities in a drummer. But I’ll step up on my soap box if you’ll allow.

I see a lot of the youth today are into metal drummers. They (generally speaking) want speed and very technical drummers.

That kind of drumming is very physically and technically impressive. But to me it lacks originality. It lacks flavor. They follow what I consider a template not only in what they play but what the drums sound like. Boring.

To me I like creativity and originality above all else. That shows up in not only what you play (or what you dont play) but also what your drums actually sound like.

I think good drummers know when to lay back and let the other musicians carry the song and also when a song needs more groove, power, subtlety or energy.

Sometimes the biggest impression a drummer can make is holding back and waiting for the right moment to make an impactful fill or even just a unexpected sound like a timely crack of the snare, cymbal crash, tom flam etc...

And if your drums sound good or unique (Phil Collins “In the air tonight”) you can make lasting impressions.

"There is nothing to fear, except everyone trying to tackle me." - Ted Ginn Jr.

RGFRGFSupporter
May 12, 2020, 09:51 PM

Steve Smith

invidinvidSupporter
May 21, 2020, 01:48 PM

Big fan of Joshua Block when he was with White Denim, and also really like Rory Loveless and Jon Theodore on the hard rock front, with a special nod to Thomas Pridgen.

Old guys I like are Bill Bruford, Mitch Mitchell, Ginger Baker, and Stewart Copeland (massively underrated).

Edit: Also, the guy that plays for Snarky Puppy is most likely pretty talented in order to keep up with the virtuosity of the rest of the band. They get exhausting for me though.

Boik14Boik14Supporter
May 24, 2020, 10:44 PM

Dave Grohl and Matt Cameron are definitely my two favorite from the grunge era. But Bill Ward of Black Sabbath is the best I’ve ever heard. He was animal on War Pigs. :up:

Boik14Boik14Supporter
May 24, 2020, 10:47 PM

Also if you like jam bands, Carter Beauford is great too.

PAPaulyForum Veteran
Jun 1, 2020, 05:49 AM

Moon the Loon.
Insanely fast hands. If you listen to tracks from The Who he does fills in spaces where there is no space. Probably the first true showman at the back in rock history.

Phil Rudd.
Absolute metronome, keeping time with Malcolm Young and Cliff Williams so tightly that it can be almost impossible to separate studio and live recordings.

invidinvidSupporter
Jun 8, 2020, 04:30 PM

"Boik14 wrote:

Dave Grohl and Matt Cameron are definitely my two favorite from the grunge era. But Bill Ward of Black Sabbath is the best I’ve ever heard. He was animal on War Pigs. :up:

Did you like Them Crooked Vultures' singular release? You should also listen to Queens of the Stone Age's Songs for the Deaf, Rated R, and Lullabies to Paralyze for more Grohl drumming (IIRC). Stoner rock but some of my faves.

Boik14Boik14Supporter
Jun 8, 2020, 06:49 PM

"invid wrote:

Did you like Them Crooked Vultures' singular release? You should also listen to Queens of the Stone Age's Songs for the Deaf, Rated R, and Lullabies to Paralyze for more Grohl drumming (IIRC). Stoner rock but some of my faves.

I never listened to (or heard of) them crooked vultures til now. I’ll definitely be giving that a listen.

I’ll probably get crucified for saying I’m not a big fan of Queen at all but I’m not. :confused2:

invidinvidSupporter
Jun 8, 2020, 07:00 PM

"Boik14 wrote:

I never listened to (or heard of) them crooked vultures til now. I’ll definitely be giving that a listen.

I’ll probably get crucified for saying I’m not a big fan of Queen at all but I’m not. :confused2:

Queens of the Stone Age, you mean?

Boik14Boik14Supporter
Jun 8, 2020, 09:08 PM

"invid wrote:

Queens of the Stone Age, you mean?

Ya. I read it quick while I was working. Lol

Puka-headPuka-headSupporter
Jun 12, 2020, 07:09 PM

Neil Peart. the G.O.A.T

Puka-headPuka-headSupporter
Jun 12, 2020, 07:15 PM

Alex Van Halen

Puka-headPuka-headSupporter
Jun 12, 2020, 07:18 PM

And the OG of the OG's

PAPaulyForum Veteran
Jun 14, 2020, 01:37 AM
Mcduffie81Mcduffie81Supporter
Jul 7, 2020, 09:22 AM

"invid wrote:

Did you like Them Crooked Vultures' singular release? You should also listen to Queens of the Stone Age's Songs for the Deaf, Rated R, and Lullabies to Paralyze for more Grohl drumming (IIRC). Stoner rock but some of my faves.

Grohl only played on Songs for the Deaf, which is a masterpiece.

"There is nothing to fear, except everyone trying to tackle me." - Ted Ginn Jr.

invidinvidSupporter
Jul 7, 2020, 11:47 AM

"Mcduffie81 wrote:

Grohl only played on Songs for the Deaf, which is a masterpiece.

Thanks, I couldn't remember. It's been a bit of a revolving door for that spot, with regard to that band.

PHPhins4everForum Veteran
Jul 16, 2020, 08:06 AM

Keith Moon, Tommy Lee, John Bonham, Neil Peart, and Vinnie Paul

PAPaulyForum Veteran
Sep 24, 2020, 08:53 AM

Been listening ti Blondie a fair bit recently. Clem Burke is Leapfrogging a whole bunch of other drummers on my list. He lays down a fancy intro and then is Rock solid through the song with a few flourishes here and there,

PackerNationPackerNationForum Veteran
Jun 25, 2024, 08:59 AM

This thread is older than time, but I see a thread titled "Drummers" and I need to investigate.

I have played since the early 80's, and met Dave Weckl a little after that time. Met him at a drum clinic I was involved with, and he was performing there as well. I knew him from his time in the Chick Corea Elektric Band.

Dave was my biggest influence the last 35 years or so. I also am proud to call him a friend.

Tone_ETone_ESupporter
Jul 18, 2024, 03:15 PM

Not a drummer, nor do I have a musical hair on my body.. However, this video impressed me a lot, and as a drummer or musicians, you guys might appreciate it too.

EDIT: I love music, but I can't play or understand sheet music for shhhhhh.

EDIT2: No Phil Collins mentioned?

Boik14Boik14Supporter
Jul 22, 2024, 09:24 PM

"Tone_E wrote:

Not a drummer, nor do I have a musical hair on my body.. However, this video impressed me a lot, and as a drummer or musicians, you guys might appreciate it too.

EDIT: I love music, but I can't play or understand sheet music for shhhhhh.

EDIT2: No Phil Collins mentioned?

Good listen, thanks for posting

SceetoSceetoForum Veteran
Jun 11, 2025, 08:46 PM

"Puka-head wrote:

And the OG of the OG's

Great drummer, but he was nuts.
lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=covUesgI6fA;t=1