1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drivers Licences question

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Jt0323, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    May 7th i turn 21, but its the same day as my licences expire. Now my licences is for New York. When it expires, how do i get a new licences if im going to be in Vegas still, and can i use my expired licences in Vegas. I plan on going back to New York for the summer around May 20th. Also i was wondering if i would be able to keep my NY licences even if my parents don't live there anymore. At the same time they really don't live in Vegas as they are staying with my uncle until they can afford something, and my mom gets back to work.

2. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    WoW, I am REALLY confused.....
    I lived in Vegas for about 3 years, and will tell you that if you are indeed a resident of Vegas, you certainly better have a DL with current address and information!!!

3. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    See if you can do it online... when I moved into a new house I found I could pay $10 bucks and then they just ship you a new one with the new address. If you are turning 21 though you may have to get a new picture taken so I'm not sure about that aspect. I'd just go to or call the local DMV and see what they say.

4. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta

You can renew a driver license no more than one year before the expiration date, or no more than two years after the expiration date. The expiration date of your driver license is your date of birth. The DMV mails you a driver license renewal notice approximately 45 to 60 days before your driver license expires. You can renew a driver license on-line, by mail, or at a DMV.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/license.htm#licenserenew

Good Luck

5. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    i guess i don't understand if you're going to be staying in vegas or not.. at least in the long term. if you think you're going back to ny then by all means just renew your NY dl, it'd be a lot easier. but just don't let it expire and keep driving or anything, can get you in a ton of trouble. i see it every day.
    also, i know a lot of states have clauses that you can only renew online if you haven't been ticketed for a moving violation (non-parking ticket) and some other things. so if you've gotten a speeding ticket recently you may have to go back to NY in person to renew it.

6. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I'm telling you guys, if you are a legal resident of Lost Wages, you sure as heck better get an LV drivers license.
    You had also better register your vehicle in Nev.
    I had a friend get pulled over cause they recognized his vehicle as being with Oregon plates, but in Vegas for the better part of 9 months and it was some pretty heavy duty fines.
    Being a student "Might" qualify you for some leneancy, but the Cops in Vegas DON'T mess around....they can't afford to with all the shenanigans going on 24-7. :up:

2socks likes this.
  7. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    sounds like florida. youre pretty free to do what you want, but if the cops get a hold of you, they arent going to leave empty handed

8. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Every state has its own laws regarding licensing, insurance, and tags/plates, and if you live in the state they expect you to switch within 30 days of becomming a resident. Because you waited until the last minute (well, so to speak) you can either obtain a Vegas license after you switch tags and insurance, you can return to NY and renew your license there, or you can drive illegally and risk having the car impounded.

The even bigger question is where do you have insurance from? Once your license expires they will cancel you, which in many states means an automatic fine or a block to renew your license for a certain number of days (I am unsure if NY does this or not). If you are indeed moving, you will have to either complete the full process above twice this year or risk being cancelled and paying for SR-22 insurance.

If I were you I would skip a day of class to fly/drive to NY and renew the license before your birthday. The internet/mail options will not work because you no longer live there and they will not change the mailing address. Even then you are still technically illegal (and paying among the highest insurance nationwide for nothing) but at least you have a right to drive. If you can't make the trip before then, then you have to switch everything to Vegas. It's really that simple.