Drew Rosenhaus predicts LB Matt Roth will beat out Jason Taylor

17 replies

Fin Fan In CaliFin Fan In CaliLuxury BoxOP
Aug 10, 2009, 12:46 AM

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2009/08/09/drew-rosenhaus-predicts-lb-matt-roth-will-beat-out-jason-taylor/

Agent Drew Rosenhaus is biased when he says he expects client Matt Roth to open the season as the starting outside linebacker on the strong side, where he lined up a season ago for an 11-win team.
But while Roth recovers from a groin injury, Jason Taylor has played there at a high level, including a pair of sacks and a QB hurry during Saturday’s scrimmage.

Speaking during his weekly segment on Ch. 7 in Miami’s Sports Xtra, Rosenhaus said Taylor’s play is expected. ” I’m not surprised Jason Taylor’s been exceptional,” Rosenhaus said. “That’s who Jason Taylor is.”


Rest in peace bigbry and dolphin debby!

UCF FINaticUCF FINaticNew Member
Aug 10, 2009, 12:56 AM

I think we start Roth in running situations and have Taylor in on Passing situations. Really I don't think it will matter who starts because they both will be seeing the field a lot.

EDIT: I bet my Dad like $5.00 that Jason Taylor wouldn't start the opening game for us, thinking Roth would be starting. I don't know how my Dad always wins bet but he does... Last Year I bet him $20.00 that the Miami Dolphins would be less than .500

Thank you giovafin for this awesome Sig!

PerfectTeamPerfectTeamForum Veteran
Aug 10, 2009, 01:13 AM

"UCF FINatic wrote:

I think we start Roth in running situations and have Taylor in on Passing situations. Really I don't think it will matter who starts because they both will be seeing the field a lot.

EDIT: I bet my Dad like $5.00 that Jason Taylor wouldn't start the opening game for us, thinking Roth would be starting. I don't know how my Dad always wins bet but he does... Last Year I bet him $20.00 that the Miami Dolphins would be less than .500

Could you bet your Dad that we don't win the superbowl then :lol:.

I hope Roth is starting though opening day. JT on the strong side full time is going to wear him down by the end of the season. I would rather have Roth in there for the majority of the snaps and bring in JT here and there. I know JT is playing well, I just don't think it's something he could sustain over 16 games and I'd rather them not find if he could.

ANAnonymousSupporter
Aug 10, 2009, 05:07 AM

Of course he thinks that.
I want to see what Tony Sparano thinks about it. And we will, week 1.

Vengeful OdinVengeful OdinForum Veteran
Aug 10, 2009, 08:13 AM

Drew should stop worrying about who is going to be the starter and start encouraging his client to return to work. It's hard to win a starting role when you're on the sideline.

ASasciiNew Member
Aug 10, 2009, 08:24 AM

"Vengeful Odin wrote:

Drew should stop worrying about who is going to be the starter and start encouraging his client to return to work. It's hard to win a starting role when you're on the sideline.

You figure, as an agent, you'd want your guy out there to prove what he has. Personally, I think we're going to see a healthy mix of both of them regardless of who starts.

LarryfinfanLarryfinfanSupporter
Aug 10, 2009, 09:03 AM

Of course Drew is going to back his player. That's fine and normally would be a "No kidding" moment on his part, but Roth isn't exactly an all pro at the position. JT is.... Roth is capable, but JT has proven more. So if Roth doesn't get healthy (or whatever) he could find himself sitting behind JT very easily...I don't think the staff wants JT starting. I think they want packages where JT, Wake and Porter are all in there with Roth on the sidelines or at DE but they can't work that stuff out with Roth still nursing injuries from last year...so Matty...get it in gear...your starting job IS depending on it...

DisgustipateDisgustipateSupporter
Aug 10, 2009, 09:09 AM

I dont think the wearing out thing holds a ton of weight. All being a starter means is he is the guy at a position in the base 3-4. He could still have roughly the same amount of snaps, they would just come in different places. I think the big thing unmetioned is Taylor's potential in coverage. The guy has come up huge in limited opportunities, often in situations he wasnt really designed to cover on, but instead broke off and made the read on bootleg containment, etc.

DePhinistr8DePhinistr8Forum Veteran
Aug 10, 2009, 10:06 AM

Who cares what Drew thinks?
I think what's so great about this team and the players, is that the guys here seem willing to accept their roles. If they start, great, if not, they are willing to work their ass off to earn it.

FIFinsAreLifeNew Member
Aug 10, 2009, 10:14 AM

of course he said that, its his client. i just want the best guy to start and right now i think its JT. Roth will still see some good playing time if hes in good form.

MrCleanMrCleanSupporter
Aug 10, 2009, 10:23 AM

"DePhinistr8 wrote:

Who cares what Drew thinks?

Drew? :wink2:

“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”

― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

DePhinistr8DePhinistr8Forum Veteran
Aug 10, 2009, 10:26 AM

"MrClean wrote:

Drew? :wink2:

hehe...that's even if he remembers what he says from day to day :up:

PHPHINANALYSTForum Veteran
Aug 10, 2009, 08:16 PM

none of it matters until Roth can get back on the field ....

UCF FINaticUCF FINaticNew Member
Aug 10, 2009, 10:24 PM

"MrClean wrote:

Drew? :wink2:

Next question? :up:

Thank you giovafin for this awesome Sig!

BpkBpkLuxury Box
Aug 10, 2009, 10:29 PM

JT will not give us as much production and impact at Strongside as roving around. Pasqualoni, Porter and Taylor have mentioned they are working on packages to allow that, and the three have twice been spotted huddling together during proactices, doing their own thing, while other LBs were doing drills etc.

JT will have a specialized role, and will see snaps. His talents extend far beyond stacking the POA, unlike Roth's limited athletic abiltiies, so Jason will see more verastile usage.

TiP54TiP54New Member
Aug 10, 2009, 11:39 PM

What is he gonna say? My client will lose out on the starting spot?

KAKanye WestNew Member
Aug 10, 2009, 11:50 PM

Matt Roth has to get into to TC first. I want Jason Taylor to beat Matt Roth out.

TiP54TiP54New Member
Aug 11, 2009, 12:18 AM

I understand how we all want Jayson and what not...
..but lets not forget. Roth was the best Edge setting LB last year. Im pretty sure he is a bit better than JT at it, also.