1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drew Brees and turnovers killed us

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by phinnhedd, Oct 1, 2013.

1. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    You simply cannot win football games if you turn the ball over more than the other team. Today that happened and Drew Brees capitalized. We were exposed by a HOF QB and that's what it is. We're a growing team that is pretty damned good and should make a run from here on out, but this one stings.

The AFC East is a very competitive division and we're well on our way as an up-and-coming team that will be contenders. Ryan Tannehill's growth is encouraging, yet I'm tempering my expectations at this point. The depth at o-line is absolutely a glaring weakness as well as subpar secondary play. I'm not blaming Coyle as you can't get blood out of a turnip, but what a concern to have when you can't stop sluggo's.

The Dolphins are 3-1 with wins against really good teams but tonight we couldn't execute and our weaknesses seemed amplified. There is hope for the season but we cannot win games by making as many mistakes as we did tonight. This season is not over. We've done well the first quarter of the season and I expect major growth through the next 12 weeks and before long we'll have a perennial contender.

Don't let tonight's performance fool you. This team is good and is being built to contend.

JShady likes this.
  2. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    The red zone defense was what set this game apart, because we've gotten torched in every game. Playing an elite QB in his prime with weapons like Graham will do that. Which is also why we don't match up with the Pats when they're healthy (Which I'm sure they will be just in time!)...We'll need a perfect gameplan. We've beaten them twice since 2006...it took a surprise wildcat minus Brady in 2008 and then a surprising down to the wire 1 point win at home in 2009.

3. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    I think that's the thing we need to keep in our heads. This team is still a huge work in progress. It's going to take some more time to grow and to acquire players that fit coaching staff's systems. We have seen some flashes of brilliance, but young guys are going to make mistakes. It's up to them to learn from those mistakes and mature their game.

phinnhedd likes this.
  4. JShady

JShady Miami Heat lover

Sep 8, 2013
    3-1 is really good, we just need to hope the team gets over this loss and starts fresh for the next game.

Also, Tannehill threw the ball pretty well for most parts of the games for a second year QB, a lot of potential he has to become elite.

phinnhedd likes this.
  5. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    This was and will be tannehills worst game this season. Whole offense was out of sync. Wallace left plays on the field. Tannehill has to slide more. Oline looked like trash by the time we got into obvious passing situation.

But still, for most of the first half, we looked very much like a team that could hang with them.

We can beat Baltimore

Phyl and phinnhedd like this.
  6. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    I can't even see us losing to Baltimore at this point. Our battle test tonight was a failure yet I have major faith in Philbin and co to correct or bandage this devastation into something positive in time to face Baltimore at home.

Yeah, yeah. We lost to Drew Brees in the dome. Enjoy that Saints fans, it's not going to last that much longer. Patriots will be put on notice soon also.

7. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    38-17. You can what if all you want. But when you what if our starting CB, pro howl DT, and te best DE this side of JJ Watt...

Mix in some better play calling and ball protection. Only two more times this season, will we face a QB this good.

I am pissed with Wallace's utterly limp play this far. If were gonna have an overpaid diva, at least let him produce and draw attention like Brandon Marshall.

Everyone is talking about Seattle right now. I swear the Broncos would SMOKE them. Because this is an offensive game. And today, with these rules and players, the best defense is a good offense. I am glad our future is RT. That fact bodes well for us.

Rough night against a HOF firing on all cylinders. The Saints, on a hot Sunday afternoon in Miami, with a -3 turn over diff? I don't think they can beat us either.

I hope this team shows some moxy and bounces backs against the Ravens. I think they will.

phinnhedd likes this.