1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Unlucky 13, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Just finished it this weekend. liked that game a lot. definitely top 10 game all time for me. maybe even top 5-7 range.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  2. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    I have about 2 hours in, maybe a little more and it hasn't caught on for me. I loved DA:O, a little disappointed with DA:2, but DA:I combat feels so repetitive. I'm a two handed rogue and I find myself doing the exact same combos to take down enemies. Been doing side quests, so I am sure once I get deeper into the story I'll get hooked. Just haven't gotten to that point yet. Hooked on Arma 3 again, at the moment.

3. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I thought Inquisition was better than Origin and far better than DA 2. I also did the dual wielding rogue, he is a little repetitive. later on, he gets some additional powers which are better. I enjoyed much more controlling Iron Bull once he joins your party. actually just started the game up again playing qunari fighter for that reason.

4. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I played the first time through as a 2-handed warrior, and am doing the second as an archer rogue. As Ohio said, the combat has absolutely gotten better as the series has gone on. Origins could be a terrible pain at times, and I found it clumbsy and frustrating in bigger battles.

5. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    New (second) single played DLC pack coming August 11, called Into the Descent. Takes place in the Deep Roads and looks really cool.

http://www.dragonage.com/en_US/news/the-descent

I'm excited for it, and it looks really cool. For me, the timing couldn't be better. I picked DA:I back up after finishing my first playthrough on The Witcher, and have gotten just about everything short of the final few areas completed on my second playthrough, including doing things like killing all 10 dragons and completeing all of the Astariums, which I didn't do the first time through. I'm just starting Jaws of Hakkon now, and then I'll dig into the new one before completing the game again in time for Madden to come out. :up:

6. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I completed Jaws of Hakkon (the first big DLC) last night, and it was well worth it. If you're on the fence, I give it my stamp of approval. Without giving too much away, its a whole new full sized area to explore, a pretty good story, lots of XP to acquire (I went from level 23-27), lots of cool loot, and some other nice surprises. I had read some reviews before I got it that were either bland, or even poor, but I just don't get that at all. Its a really solid addition to the game.

Downloaded Into the Descent this morning, and I'm excited to jump into that one tonight.

There's also a new 3.5 gig update to the game on the PS4 that I noticed this morning too. Not sure what it entails yet. (EDIT: Apparently it involved multi player, if you're into that - I'm not)

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  7. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    I still haven't gotten beyond the first couple hours. It'll probably be a winter play through for me at the moment.

8. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I completed the final DLC, Tresspasser, and in doing so, the game. It is absolutely the first ever DLC that I've played that's essential to the story of the game, and not just a fun series of sidequests which, awesome or not, are not crucial to the story of the game. If you played Inquisition, and especially if you've played all of the DA games, you owe it to yourself to get this DLC. It completes the game, ties up a lot of loose ends, and is a fairly long series of missions as well. Without giving too much away, it also clearly leads into the next Dragon Age game as well, whenever that comes about.

9. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    You guys had trouble with the combat in DAO? I haven't played DAI yet, but I've beaten DAO 3 times with all 3 options: Elf Mage, Dwarf Warrior and Human Rogue. I had to play on Nightmare mode because it was too easy. Are you all using Combat Tactics efficiently? Because if you aren't the combat is very difficult. I also switch up the Combat Tactics according to the situation. Once I mastered those I didn't have to pause too frequently.

eltos_lightfoot likes this.
  10. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I played through DA:I twice. Once as a two handed warrior, and once as an archer, both on standard difficulty. That is almost always tough enough for me. DA:2 always felt a bit easier than DA:I, but I never ramped up the difficulty. Origins killed me. As mentioned before, the only way that I was able to defeat the final boss on standard difficulty was to cheese - attack and then run and hide until my HP restored, and then do it again. The battle took forever. I always felt that the combat in the game was maddening, but of course it was designed for the PC, and I'm a Sony console gamer.

CashInFist likes this.
  11. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    Ah ok. I've never played on anything other than PC. Apparently it's easier on the PC than Playstation?

12. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Game was a massive disappointment. Single-player MMO gameplay and terrible story arc.

13. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    As I understand it, talking to people who do PC gaming, it was set up to be done with the mouse and keyboard, and giving commands to your party members and such. Using the controller, and mostly controlling one player at a time as an action RPG, it was a definate challenge. Especially for me, who had up until that point always played turn based RPGs like Final Fantasy.

14. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    Yeah I set the combat tactics on my other party members and they pretty much do their own thing. I don't think I'd like having to constantly pause and babysit everyone in the party.

15. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Giving this the winter play through I mentioned a few posts above, and really enjoying it, BUT, I can't beat the Envy Demon on normal difficulty and rage quit. Don't judge. Can I leave the area completely and go to the war room, do some side quests and level up and get better gear and then go back? I'm literally at the boss fight.

I need to change my party and backtrack. Possible?

16. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    The answer is "probably". You can also likely load a slightly older save file, as well. Which area are you in?

Tone_E likes this.
  17. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    I took the Templar quest line, not the mage one, so I'm there. Forgot the area off the top of my head.

18. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Let me put my answer in spoiler tags, for those who haven't played through yet.

If you've started the mission to side with the Templars vs the Mages, there is likely no backing out. Once you're in, you're in. Are you at least the recommended level for the misson? If you are, you should be able to get through it with a few tries. If you aren't, then it may be best to see if you can load an older save file and level up a bit before taking it on again.

What build is your inquisitor? I played once through with a warrior, and other with an archer. Haven't played as a mage myself, so I don't have a lot of insight to that, but I always kept at least one of the companion mages in my party.

19. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    I am a dual wield rogue and am beyond required level, at 8 recommended is 4-7. My party is Cass, Blackwall,and Iron Bull. Made a mistake with my party, I think I need a mage for barrier at the least.. I have 7/8 potions available and can't seem to beat the boss. I'll keep trying I guess but I keep getting wrecked. :)

20. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Yeah, sound like you've done everything else right, but you almost always need to have a mage with you for barrier and resurection spells. Unless you're just out and about exploring and not doing an actual mission, I'd always keep at least one. For missions, sometimes two. All three of the ones you can eventually get are equally good.

With your party, you've kind of pigeon holed yourself into a "beat the crap out of them" role almost exclusively, and that doesn't always pay off. I'd take out either the Bull or Blackwell, because they're almost the same character. Cassandra can be useful with her abilities to draw enemies to her, and effect their behavior.

Tone_E likes this.
  21. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Thanks for all the help!

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  22. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm very happy to. I love the game, and love talking about it and sharing my experience.

23. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    I got through it, with a lot of micro management. Progressing through the storyline to unlock skyhold. Rated lvl 8-11 and I'm 9 at the moment so I'm going to use war table to unlock other areas and side missions for a bit. I

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  24. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Yeah, that last fight before Skyhold is brutal. Took me multiple tries my first playthrough. You should have plenty of opprotunity to explore, level up, and get better gear now. I wouldn't move onto another main mission until you're really comfortable.

Tone_E likes this.
  25. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    http://www.criticalhit.net/entertainment/rumour-mass-effect-andromedas-story-dlc-cancelled/

Well, as terrible as the news from Bioware has been and continues to be about the Mass Effect series, at least there's good news from the people in charge of Dragon Age. At a minimum, the game's creation is underway, and they are hiring tons of people for the process. The fan community of the game has been speculating for a while that there will be a fall 2019 release, and that seems plausible.

As I said in the ME thread, one positive thing that could come out of the fiasco with that series is that extra care and cash is dumped into DA, ensuring its success, and making the games even better in the future. I'll hope so at least. It looks like they're on the right track.

26. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    My wife was into this series. Did they just start development this year? If so, a fall 2019 release seems unrealistic to me. Most RPGs take 3-5 years, right?

After edit: To be fair, as I was taught at work, there are three parts to the development triangle: Time/Money/Features. You can have two of the three, but never all of them. If they want fall 2019 (time) they can add more people (money) and give up features for the final product.

27. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Well, development from a writing/planning aspect has been going on since at least 2016, maybe 2015. The same people are in charge of everything now that oversaw DA:I, so there's a lot of continuity. Its very likely that the art and visual creation elements have been hard at work for years already also.

Plus, remember that this is an existing universe, with a lot of characters, locations, and general tropes already created, and it will be releasing on the same generation of consoles as their previous game. A ton of groundwork has already been laid, as compared to a completely new IP or one thats moving to a new generation of consoles and/or engine. They need to create everything that will be new in this game (DA4), but they have a framework to work with.

With all of the talk of hiring and funding, 2019 should be realistic if they don't hit too many bumps in the road. And if they do, then you damn well better be certain that it will be delayed, as to not run into the same mess that's killed ME.

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  28. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    http://www.dualshockers.com/bioware-already-ideas-theoretical-dragon-age-5/

Mike Laidlaw, the man in charge of DA at Bioware, recently said that they're already discussing a "theorhetical" Dragon Age 5. So, while they're already known to be hard at work on 4 (though its not been officially announced), they're also talking about where things go beyond that. Which means that if nothing else, 4 won't be a firm end to the series. Hopefully, Bioware and EA give them the ability to continue the series as long as the games sell!

29. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
  30. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    https://gamerant.com/dragon-age-new-game-announcement/

There will be some sort of announcement within the next month about DA4. Fingers crossed, but its looking good. I think my previous guess of Autumn 2020 is probably pretty likely. Once Anthem is out in the wild, Bioware will shift the focus to DA.

31. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    https://kotaku.com/the-past-and-present-of-dragon-age-4-1833913351

Excellent article about how EA continues to mess with, and mess up, games at Bioware. Apparently, production was well underway on DA4 two years back, the team liked what they had done, and were moving forward at a good pace. Then EA stepped in, and basically forced them to scrap it.

The mess and disaster that was the production of ME:A apparently taught them absolutely nothing, and they've decided to screw with the creative teams of the games just as much.

In the end, its sad and frustrating. The people who were, and some who are, at Bioware wanted to make a great game that the fans want, and they wanted to do it right. Then two to three years of work was totally thrown in the trash. Who knows what we'll end up getting, or when we'll get it. Seems Autumn 2021 at the earliest, and probably later. Seven plus years between games, when they could have put out three great games in that same span.

32. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
  33. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    https://www.dualshockers.com/lead-producer-leaves-bioware/

Bad News: The lead producer of the next Dragon Age game has left Bioware. He was a 12-year employee named Fernando Melo.

Good News: He apparently/allegedly is leaving the game in good hands and is happy with the development so far, calling it "well underway to becoming the definitive Dragon Age experience"

34. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I have officially given up on EA making a good game. I am just going to be surprised.

35. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    https://gamingbolt.com/dragon-age-4-probably-releasing-after-fiscal-year-2022-ea

[​IMG]

EA officially confirmed that Dragon Age 4 is in development. That might be the first time that the company has officially commented on it. So that's good! However, if you were like me and hoping that it might be released about a year after the PS5 itself (Like Dragon Age 3 was with the PS4), then unfortunately the news is not so good. It will come out sometime after Fiscal 2022, which could mean Autumn of 2022, or any time after that.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  36. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Bioware has been a bit of a ****show since DA:I. Let's hope they can pull it together. That Kotaku article exposed a lot of mismanagement, and not with a lot of influence from the EA side of things.

37. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    With how good Outer Worlds looks (I am buying it this weekend) maybe it is time to put our faith in Obsidian.

invid likes this.
  38. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I will get outerworlds soon too. but for now, waiting for the new SW Jedi game to arrive, hopefully today or tomorrow.

39. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I enjoyed The Outer Worlds, but I will caution you that its a AA game, not a AAA game. Its not that big in size or scope, and I completed every ounce of it in nine days. It was a good snack while I wait for bigger games to come out in the future.

40. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia