1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Unlucky 13, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I like Sera, but I've found myself going a lot of 3-warrior, 1-mage. I'm going to be getting into a lot of exploration now, so I may use her and Cole more often.

For battle purposes, myself (a 2-handed warrior) mixed with Cassandra, Iron Bull, and Dorian is a wrecking crew.

2. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    I have to start mixing up my group I constantly use Viv Dorian and Cass (my romance) and we wreck pretty good.. but I'm sure missing out on a lot of the banter etc and for some reason I don't care for the dwarf even in the second game I hardly used him.

3. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I've never once gone with two mages, but I might experiment with Dorian and Vivian, plus a warrior. After filling up all the protection magic, I've been giving Dorian all electric magic, Vivian all fire, and Solas all ice.

4. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    i mix and match a lot, usually the only constant is cassandra.

my group right now is:

my character- sword and board tank
    cassandra- 2h sword
    sera- bow
    solas- mage

one thing i do miss from origins is the ability to have a group healer.

5. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Not being able to heal certainly means playing it safe a lot more. 8 health potions for four people doesn't go very far.

6. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    One thing i like about the system is that it allows you not to be stuck with a healer.

I enjoyed mixing and matching a lot as well. Unless I was going into a temple, then I knew I need to have one Warrior and one Rogue.

As I said my main was Sera (bow), Cassandra (sword and shield), Iron Bull (2-swords) and myself (Mage-Knight Enchanter)

7. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I actually really miss having a dedicated healer.

My action RPG style has generally always been to bash away with my warriors while the mage's primary duty is to heal everyone else, and then after that use some attack spells. Even while making my very best effort to aquire and equip the very best armor on every character, I frequently find myself having to return to camp to heal up, despite all of the talk beforehand by the developers that this wouldn't be the case. Thank goofness for fast travel via the map. I guess I haven't figured out what they want my method to be, but at the same time, I don't have fun if I have to game by someone else's rules either.

Still, its very fun and very challenging. I just wish that I didn't have to get nervous every time I went into a cave/dungeon or attacked a fortress, hoping that there's a box of heal potions around the corner, because I'm about to run out. Not being able to heal up after battles is the worst.

8. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Get the potion carry upgrade asap...12 is a much better number.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  9. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Is that a perk in the war room? I've been choosing getting more dialog options mostly.

10. Skyfire023

Skyfire023 Member

Oct 29, 2009
    New Bedford, Ma.
    Yes it is I believe its in the forces perk list.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  11. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    12 potions does make a huge difference. Makes me a bit bolder, too. Took down my first giant today. 1500+ XP! Love the Emerald Graves area. Beautiful terrain, and the types of enemies that I like to fight.

12. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Have you taken down the Frostback yet in the Hinterlands? It can be done as early as 12, I did it at 14. My advice would be to ride a horse past the initial area, if you don't you'll get whittled down by the dragonlings and the momma will blast you with hot fiya until you do. I went strictly tactical camera through 3/4 of the fight and it took forever. The most important thing is to micromanage your ranged characters. Bring them in when the frostback starts beating its wings to dodge the damage done by being outside of that vortex move. Keep your ranged characters at a 45-degree angle at all times, you don't want to have them standing directly in front when it does its frontal fire attacks either. A bit into the fight I micromanaged those specific things and then just ended up controlling my 2h guy after I got the jist of what was going on. Whirlwinded the **** out of them legs and things went much faster after that. Had my characters drink regens if they were only about halfway down on health during lulls. I'm about 3/4 through the Western Approach and wish I had more time to play. I will in a week or two.

13. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    No, killed my first this morning at the top of a hill in the Emerald Graves. Large area surrounded by rectangular stones. I'm level 15 and my companions are 14. I honestly didn't think I had a great shot at it, but I figured what the Hell and went for it. My character is a 2H warrior, and I had Cassandra, Dorian and Vivian with me. It wasn't easy, and was by the skin of my pants, but I survived. Vivian had to revive most of the characters multiple times. Took about 15 minutes. Got a pile of really nice loot.

I don't play tactical camera or do much of anything to micromanage the companions. This dragon didn't flap the wings to bring us close until he was almost dead.

14. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Found another dragon on the storm coast last night. Didn't go well, lol. I might have taken its HP down about 5% before it killed my party. Forget its name, but it had electrical magic.

15. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Apparently the one in Crestwood can be taken down fairly early. Try that one instead.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  16. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Haven't been there in a while. I'll go back and check it out.

17. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    the emerald graves is such a beautiful zone even on the 360.

18. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    I went Necromancer with my mage but I had to respec it with full Necro and with my barriers. Barrier is way too required otherwise your sucking back a lot more potion.

Party's that talk a lot: Cassandra + Iron Bull (bit flirty)
    Blackwall + Iron Bull (angst vs get laid)
    Sera + Cole (Cole freaks Sera right the hell out)

19. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Unlucky 13 likes this.
  20. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    As a PS4 gamer, this patch should solve any and all issues that I was having- and those were hardly game breakers as it was. I've read that PC gamers may have some more issues to deal with involving textures.

21. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    the only problem i had in terms of glitches was the one where the game would just freeze during a conversation and you were stuck until you skipped the dialogue.

22. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Thats one of the specific fixes. Ive been waiting to do another major story mission until this was fixed.

23. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Finished the story. Right at 90 hours of play time. Didn't do every little thing outside of the story, but did most of it. Loved the game, but felt that the end was a letdown. Kind of petered out towards the finish. Underwhelming endings are a Bioware speciality though. :shifty:

Started my second playthrough. This time playing a female elf archer, which is a totally new idea for me. Even through just the earliest parts of the game, its a different experience, which is cool.

I'd love to see some DLC expansion missions, but Bioware is being extremely quiet about whats to come in the future and when.

24. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    33% off in Origin so I pulled the trigger. Will re-read this thread for the helpful tips for beginners.

25. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Ask if you have any questions. Happy to help.

Tone_E likes this.
  26. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    A little overwhelmed to be honest with you. They throw a lot of stuff at you quickly, and I played Origins and DA2. Either way, I have to restart because my character looks like a$$ in game lol. About 1 hour in or so, so I'll have the opportunity to go through the beginning tutorial and dialogue again, which will help with the story retention.

Combat is basically a bad console port since I'm playing on PC. Very clumsy with poor camera angles, even for the tactical view. Will take a bit of getting used to.

Love it so far though. Just got to Winterlands and all of a sudden the map opened up with camps, side quests, rifts, etc. I will do everything possible in each setting so I can see myself investing the full 90 hours to finish.....eventually.

27. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I can't begin to imagine playing the game, or one like it, on a PC instead of a console, so I can't help you much there. I play on the PS4, and find the combat to be a huge improvement over DA:O, and a good one from DA:2. The combat and character control in general remind me a lot of Skyrim. With my controller on the console, its all very fluid and intuitive. I've certainly read many PC users complaning about it on the Bioware forums though.

The character creator can be a lot at first, but its really good once you practice. My only complaint is the lack of longer hairstyles, especially for women. My first character looked ok, and I'm really happy with my second one.

Just explore and have fun. Even in the Hinterlands though, you can run into enemies that can kick your ***, even on normal mode. I would get the hang of it and wait until your about level 10 before taking on the bigger missions. Also, be careful with how you spend Inquisition Perks. You only get so many, and I know that I wasted some in my first time through.

Tone_E likes this.
  28. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Don't go full Hinterlands right off the bat. You can always come back to it. Otherwise it's a major grind of about 12 hours of side quests. Try to move on your prime quests unless they just kick your ***. Reason being you'll out level areas before you reach them plowing thru the Hinterlands. So a lot of upgrade gear will be trash gear by the time you get to it. I honestly wish I had moved around a bit when things opened up early on.

Tone_E likes this.
  29. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Thanks but not sure I understand. So, go speak to the lady (forgot her name now) in the Hinterlads and move on to come back to the side quests later?

30. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    LOL, I'd say that Van and I have different approaches. You do need to talk to Mother Jiselle though.

Tone_E likes this.
  31. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Yeah man, same. I like to clear one area completely before leaving. But I can see Van's point as well. Where you find weapons and armor sets, it is generally at your level so you'd be better served finding those items at a higher level.

Also, did some youtubing regarding crafting and upgrading weapons which helped a lot. Now I just have to get a handle of the war room and I'll be fine.

32. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    You can go to Orlais really at any point after you're allowed. Missions there are mostly dialogue and you can pick up two companions.

With the War Room, its mostly just choosing which advisor to handle which one. Always read what they have to say about it before sending one off, and generally one will take less time than the other two. Rewards are often minor, but occasioanlly important. There's a text based RPG element to it all. Adding to the game without playing it/seeing it. I wouldn't worry about using up your Power either. Later on, you'll have more than you know what to do with. I finished my first playthrough with about 200 left over and no more War Table missions to do. War Table missions will pop up as you do other things in the game, and will be used to unlock areas and special missions. New ones generally have a glowing star.

Tone_E likes this.
  33. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Man the Hinterlands is HUGE. Spent a few hours in it and still haven't discovered it all. I have like 8 quests (picking up all side quests I can) still ongoing there after completing about just as many. Getting a little repetitive in there. Met my first dragon there. The encounter didn't last very long. I died quickly being only level 4 or 5.

Also, chose to explore Ferelden and now in the war room nothing is showing up in Orlais. Want to get my keep going as soon as possible as you guys mentioned. Any advice there?

34. Deerless Dice

Deerless Dice Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 30, 2013
    you need to go to Val Royeaux which is accessed through the War Room Ferelden side of the map, and open it with power.

Tone_E likes this.
  35. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I would advise not trying the dragons till level 15 or so. I'm level 13 in my second playthrough, and haven't tried one yet. Couldn't kill all of them in my first playthrough, and I got to level 25.

36. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I was able to kill the Hinterlands dragon at level 14 with two wizards, as long as they have cold spells ready. at level 15, I just killed another one and going back for a 3rd. actually had more trouble with the wyverns than I did the dragon.

been playing this game since Xmas eve and been avoiding this thread since then. Loving the length of the game. I thought when I closed the rift at Haven the game would end, but very happily surprised that so much more beyond that was opened up. Love Iron Bull the most.

37. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Closing the rift at Haven is about 25% of the way through the story, and maybe 10% of the available side quests. The game is big. Really enjoying my second playthrough too. Just started my first major mission after Skyhold at level 15. Making sure I don't miss anything this time.

38. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I haven't read through the whole thread, but for those of you early on in the game. Helpful hint: when you're with the Dalish and garnering favor, don't open up the graves! makes it impossible to complete the favor mission. might be a bug, not sure

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  39. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Not a bug. You piss off the Dalish Keeper when you do it. He specifically asks you to respect it beforehand. I made the same mistake myself the first time. Still was able to gain enough favor to do all of the missions there though.

40. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    yeah, I did all the missions, even went back with the great bear pelts last night hoping it would push my favor over the top, but keeper didn't budge. wish I had the option to take him out. how dare he hold my mistakes against me.