1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Unlucky 13, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
  2. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Like a kick to the gut, they've pushed the game back six weeks to a November 18th release date. Well, there goes my birthday present, lol. Guess I'll be playing A LOT of Madden for a while.

3. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Origins was great. Didn't like DA2. Admittedly I haven't looked this game up but it does interest me. Wonder if Isabella and Morrigan are in the game. :)

4. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Isabella may or may not be as a NPC. Hope she is, because she's the hottest video game character ever, lol. Morrigan definately is in as a NPC.

I liked the potential of the first game. It was a good first draft. Fun to explore the universe. But the gameplay was terribly lacking, and the overall size of the game was disapointing. The second game gets crushed, rightfully so, because it reused locations so often. That sucked. However, the graphics were a lot better, the dialog options were better, and the fighting - while very simple - was a big improvement from the insanely difficult and clumbsy method of the first game.

I've been looking forward to 3 for a long time, and the more I see of it, the better I like it. Huge world, huge character selection, and looks to improve on the first two games a whole lot. In an era lacking good RPGs, it really stands out.

Tone_E likes this.
  5. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    I agree with everything you said, except I really didn't find combat too clumsy in DA1. I'll look up Inquisition a little more when I have the time.

Dual wielding rogue is my class.

6. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I played through DA1 three times, and all I could ever figure out to succeed in battle was to shield bash followed by a slam attack. I died A LOT, even after paying through it. Really found my two allies in the party to be next to useless most of the time. I was also really disapointed that the leveling was so limited. At the very end of the game, I wasn't nearly as strong as I would have liked to have been. Completed the final dragon battle twice, and each time had to use a really cheap method of attacking, running away and healing over and over for about an hour.

7. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    TBH I forgot the nuances but I can see how the shield bash and slam attack could get mundane. That's why I played the rogue, fast varied attacks. Can get behind enemies, etc. I use the NPCs as the tanks. I do recall using the shield bash a lot with them too though lol.

8. Starry31

Starry31 Phins and Heels.

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Top of my list in terms of anticipated games, can't wait. DA:O combat was meh when I played it, but I am always much more interested in story and it delivered there. I played a city elf Archer and enjoyed every second of it. DA2 does have a lot of faults but graphics and combat improved some, and even with the faults I still enjoyed it. I haven't been keeping to up to date with Inquisition but the new engine looks great. I know open-world sandbox type games are really popular but I actually like some linearity in games. My impression from what I've seen is there will be some open-world type stuff but it won't be as open as say Skyrim, which sounds perfect to me.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  9. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    http://gamingbolt.com/dragon-age-inquisition-level-cap-detailed

Found this article about leveling, and the game's creative director is quoted in saying that the game has a "soft cap". It's a bit vague, but I'm optomistic. For decades (feels funny to say that) my MO with RPGs has always been to go through at a comfortable pace, and when I come to an area thats too tough, go off and "level up" for a while, then come back when I'm stronger. DA1 didn't really allow that, and as I said before, I found it to be brutally hard playing on the default setting. Here's hoping Inquisition allows players to go at their own speed. Everything they release makes it look more awesome.

10. Deerless Dice

Deerless Dice Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Isabella has grandma hands. I know most people don't notice them, but they're hideous. I'm going to wait on this one. I think this game has the potential to be Fantasy Mass Effect 3 in terms of gameplay, but the recent trend of AAA games makes me weary. Short story modes followed up by DLC that costs 1/3rd of the price of the game per pack for content that would have been included 10 years ago.

Tone_E likes this.
  11. Starry31

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Watched a few videos on Youtube and game continues to look great. I never thought I'd play Inquisition on console but after picking up Diablo 3 for PS3 and playing it on a big screen with a controller I'm not sure. That and my my laptop is starting to get old. Combat will probably be easier on PC with the tactical aspect factored in and I do have save files from Origins and 2, so still probably go with PC. Reading up on importing saves it seems instead there's going be a system called Keep where you pick what happened in the past and can start Inquisition with that world state. From what I read they're still looking into importing the actual saves into Keep. I can remember some of what I did in Origins and 2 but not everything. Keep does allow people who lost their saves or who want to jump from PC to console to still have the same state of the world so that's cool. I wonder how detailed the events in the Keep are.

12. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I read about the Keep yesterday, and actually applied for the Beta. It seems really, really detailed. The leaked pics that I saw involved some decesions that I don't even remember! They said that its much, much deeper than the Mass Effect ones. I'm going from PS3 to PS4, so I'll be using the Keep for sure.

13. Starry31

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    If you get to try it out, let us know how it is. I remember a lot more from Origins as that game's story was better and left a bigger impact on me. Hopefully they figure out the save thing but not super optimistic, guess I will just get as close as possible to what I actually did in the previous games.

14. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    With the game out in six weeks, I would have to imagine that it'll be up soon. From what I saw, its a deep system that walks you through step by step. It also won't let you choose two options that contradict.

15. Starry31

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Did you romance Morrigan?
    Yes.

Did you romance Isabela?
    Yes.

16. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Well, I was apparently not chosen for the Beta. Oh well, we're in the final stretch now anyways.

Found this article: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dragon-age-inquisition-has-up-to-200-hours-worth-o/1100-6422872/

It says that the main story should take most players 20-40 hours to complete. However, if you dig into the game, you could get 200+ hours of content out of it. They don't say if that 200 is in one single player playthrough though. If so, then awesome. Skyrim was my official longest "hour dump" at over 140. After all thats been said of DA3, if I don't get 80+ out of it playing my methodical, exploration style, I'll be disapointed.

17. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    [​IMG]

18. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    http://forum.bioware.com/topic/515339-health-and-healing-a-view-from-the-outside/

Good article from one of the game designers addressing the concerns about the removal of healing spells from the game. Really detailed, and makes me feel a bit better. As long as, as had been inferred, there is no real level cap and I can take my damn time and go as slow as I need to in order to make my characters stronger. Like the author, I'm not a tactical gamer. My game plan is always to have my mage heal the crap out of my party as a 1st priority, so this will change how I play, but as long as it still lets me play "my way" within these rules, I'm ok with it.

19. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    The Keep "Open Beta" isn't open until October 29th. So much for "about a month before launch. Interestingly, they say that everyone who signed up for the closed beta will get in before that, me included presumably. Probably on the 28th, lol. I'll let you know what I think. :lol:

Starry31 likes this.
  20. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm into the keep. I had to sign a non-disclosure agreement, and I'm a man of my word (however silly), but I'll mess around with it and let you guys know what I think in broad terms. Its only a week until everyone gets it, and I'm literally among the last ones in before that.

21. Starry31

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Good stuff, I am really lazy about pre-ordering games even if I'm 99% sure I'll buy it day one but no reason to miss out on the free stuff, I just have to decide if I want to play it on PC or console.

22. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    The keep is really well done. Apparently, there were some issues early on in the summer, but they've all been fixed now.

It starts with a good flash video reminicient of the intro to DA2, recapping the first two games and allowing you to interject choices here and there as to how "your" story went. About 15 minutes long, and covers all of the big picture stuff.

Then you get to "The Tapestry", which is where you can dig down into every major choice over the first two games, and a plethora of minor ones, and choose the outcome you made in your game (or a better one, if you didn't like how that turned out). Its catagorized really well, its good looking and in the spirit of the series, its very easy to use, and it covers any choice that I can think would be valid to go into. In fact, some of the options are so minor, that I wonder if those NPCs involved will actually be appearing in DA3, or if they just wanted to give us as many options as humanly possible to limit grumbling about not actually importing game saves.

I definately give it my stamp of approval. My only question is how exactly the data will be imported from the cloud into the PS4. The admins on the message board say that it will happen automatically, but I'm still a little hazy on it.

23. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    The game seems to be geared to appeal to the PC crowd. Several articles I've read have said that its their chosen way to go. I've always been a console guy for any game other than things like Civ and Sim City though, and since I can't get broadband, PC gaming is all but dead to me.

24. Starry31

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    I do hate you can't import saves since it's been over three years from when I played Origins and will likely forget some things. Sounds like a pretty cool system though. I think with DA having tactical elements that it might be easier on PC, well most games are, but playing on a big TV is always nice. I'll probably get it on PC and hope my computer can handle it.

25. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Ohio Fanatic and Stitches like this.
  26. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Great! I can't wait to play it.

27. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/11/dragon-age-inquisition-review

Official review at IGN. Similar to the one at Kotaku in their conclusions.

28. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    It may just be me, but I would probably enjoy the game more if it was only 40 something hours like the earlier games. 85+, 100+ and still finding new things? I don't have that attention span for a game and won't put that kind of hours into it unless it is a FPS like Battlefield or Arma or something that I play here and there on the regular.

Same with Skyrim. After failing to do any mission plots because I was just wandering around exploring (which was fun) I just lost interest after a while.

29. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    And I'm the polar opposite, lol. Everyone can have their own opinion of course, but if I don't get at least 70+ hours out of a RPG, I really feel cheated. And I never, ever play FPS games, or anything online or with other people. I want to put as much time into one enjoyable game, by myself, as I can. Skyrim is my personal record at over 130 hours on one playthrough. Based on what I've read, I'm expecting that might fall with DA3, and I'm giddy about it. I have time for maybe two hours of gaming a day, and don't every single day, so I'll likely be into it nearly every day well into February. :up:

Then I'll move on to AC Unity, and then probably back into a second playthrough of DA. Played the first to three times each.

Tone_E, Zeke0123 and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  30. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    I'm the same way but did multiples with ME 1/2 and had 150+ with Skyrim and oblivion and probably close to that with every fallout..I already prepurchased this one and threw in the 10 bucks for the horse etc..I don't mind spending a little extra on games I'd like to see more of.

31. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I played ME2&3 each twice, but I think my playthroughs on them were only in the 35-40 hour range. The games are great, but don't offer much of anything in the way of exploration or going off and finding things on your own, or just beating up on enemies to level up.

Zeke0123 likes this.
  32. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    I'm looking forward to this game, especially the coop. I'm alright with the length as long as it is challenging over the second half. I'm not going to feel like exploring everything if its a cakewalk.

33. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    They have hard mode and Insane mode. If you want it to be more difficult, you can make it more difficult. Of course you should start difficult if you want the achievement.

34. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    With no healing magic and limited potions, Im worried about surviving on normal mode.

35. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I am happy they brought the challenge back.

36. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    As I mentioned before, the first game completely kicked my *** to the point that it wasn't fun for me at the end. I'm hoping the fact that there is no leveling limit combined with the fact that monsters/enemies don't level along with you will allow me to get through anything as long as I'm patient enough.

37. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    i absolutely love dragon age: origins. I could not stand dragon age II and i was extremely worried about inquisition, but everything i have seen and have read has definitely impressed me and i will be purchasing the game tomorrow.

38. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Only roughly an hour in all I can really say is the graphics are unreal and the rogue combat is extremely satisfying...looking forward to getting a lot deeper into it ;).

39. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I have played six hours. I first did a mage, then I switched to a warrior. I am having lots of fun.

40. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Two hours in. Really satisfied so far.