1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drafting a QB in 2012

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by GARDENHEAD, Apr 29, 2011.

1. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    According to my count, and barring anything crazy, it looks like only 6-8 teams will be in the market for a QB next year. 24-26 teams either have a franchise QB, or drafted a guy in the top of the 2011 draft.

Giants - Eli Manning
    Philly - Vick/Kolb
    Dallas - Romo
    Washington - NOBODY
    Chicago - Cutler
    GB - Rodgers
    Detroit - Stafford
    Minnesota - Ponder
    Atlanta - Ryan
    NOLA - Brees
    Tampa - Freeman
    Carolina - Newton
    Seattle - NOBODY
    St. Louis - Bradford
    San Fran - Kaepernick
    Arizona - NOBODY
    Miami - NOBODY
    New England - Brady
    jets- sanchez
    Buffalo - NOBODY? (I'm not sold on Fitz, but he might be the guy)
    Pitt - Ben
    Balt - Flacco
    Cleveland - Colt McCoy?
    Cinci - Palmer/Dalton
    Indy - Manning
    Jax - Gabbert
    Hou - Schaub
    Tenn - Locker
    KC - Cassell
    SD - Rivers
    OAK - NOBODY
    Denver - Orton/Tebow

My point is that next year, we'll be in good position to draft a big-time QB. The way I look at it, there's only gonna be 6-8 teams looking for a QB next year........................okay, who am I kidding?!??! I'm not looking forward to another season with Henne at the helm. AAAAARRRGGHGHGHG!

2. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I'll be watching Matt Barkley very closely this year.

3. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    remember Carolina drafted a quarterback in 2010

4. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Correct, but Claussen was taken in the middle of the second round. All the QBs in this draft (thus far) were first rounders or high seconds...but I get your point.

5. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    my sentiments exactly, been posting the idea since the end of the season. I'd like to see Miami pick up a veteran QB who had promise but fell short with his current team (on the cheap) to compete with Henne for the start. we might get lucky in 2011 or just plain Luck in the next draft. in the meantime, we address immediate weaknesses.

GARDENHEAD likes this.
  6. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I suspect that no matter if they need a QB or not, the team with the first pick in next years draft will select Andrew Luck, and he is the one sure bet QB in next years draft.

7. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    GREAT minds think alike, RIO!!!!!

8. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    how much is he worth to a team that doesn't need a QB?

if we've basically addressed our rebuilding by 2012, we can trade up to get him.
    in the meantime, Henne gets another chance to compete & we give a veteran QB with talent & experience a second chance. doing it on the cheap, there is no one who has been a top pick I would rule out.

if all fails you pay the price for your franchise QB in the next draft

9. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I have no doubt that he would be worth a heck of lot to the team that has the first pick in the draft next year. To begin with, if you have the first pick in the draft, your QB must not be that good to begin with. Having watched Luck play several games this past season. I think he is the next great QB to come out of college. Any team, including the Patriots, Colts, Chargers, Saints, or any other team with an established veteran QB would be fools to pass on Luck if they have the opportunity to take him. In fact it would not surprise be in the least if the Patriots don't trade their two number one picks, a second round pick and possibly even more picks to trade up to select Luck next year. Brady is in his mid 30's now and if the Patriots drafted Luck. He could sit behind Brady for a year and learn the offense. The Patriots have already shown that they have no problem trading star players at the end of their careers. I could also see this same scenario with the Colts, since Manning is also getting up in age. The problem for the Colts is that they don't have all the draft picks next year which the Patriots have. I could even see teams who selected QB's in the first round this year wanting an opportunity to select Luck. As far as the other QB's coming out of college in 2012. I don't at this time see any of these QB's being top tier QB's in the NFL. Perhaps things will change regarding these other QB's but right now Luck appears to be a once in a decade player at his position.

10. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Lots of stuff can happen a year from now.

Paul 13 and Pandarilla like this.
  11. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I think with this coach and front office, this QB, and this set of TEs and RBs, we have a real good chance at being high enough in the draft to get Andrew Luck.

muscle979, Uncle Rico and jw3102 like this.
  12. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    The Miami Dolphins select....

[​IMG]

13. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    With their first round pick in the 2012 NFL draft, the Miami Dolphins select ... Matt Kalil, OT, USC.
    Or
    With their first round pick in the 2012 NFL draft, the Miami Dolphins select ... Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford

14. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Of the teams you listed Arizona is known to be looking at another Vet plus they have two young guys they really like, the Bills had several chances to pull the trigger and didn't - Fitz is their guy imo, who can say what the Raiders will do the draft is still young and they will end up with a better record than we so they are mute imvho, which leaves us in a fight with the Seahawks and Redskins.

I really like our chances for getting Luck, A new HC and FO always goes after a franchise QB, well of course, unless you are Bill Parcells and Company.:no:

15. Cass

Cass Active Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Bristol, England
    This.

16. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Yeah were out of the Andrew Luck race but if Henne doesn't turn things around its a QB next year.

17. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Really no way of projecting 2012 at this point.

gafinfan and MrClean like this.
  18. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Already a lot of good QB's projecting early in 2012. Andrew Luck is obviously a Peyton Manning, once in a generation type. But you also have Nick Foles at Arizona, Ryan Lindley at San Diego State, Matt Barkley, Brandon Weeden, Kirk Cousins, Ryan Tannehill, Landry Jones, Robert Griffin, etc. Already.

19. Speedy

Speedy Dolfan forever! :-)

Jan 12, 2010
    Germany
    I think this year's draft wasn't that bad for us. We got good players. But you can't win without a QB. So, I hope we can get Luck next year. We should be in a good position (that's good and bad). And if not Luck, I hope for Brandon Weeden, Tyler Wilson or Terrelle Pryor.

So, now that means "SUCK FOR LUCK" if you want. :lol:

20. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    If there ever was a prospect at qb to bet the farm and trade picks for it's Andrew Luck, Hopefully this regime or whatever regime we has next have the balls to get the franchise quarterback .

Speedy likes this.
  21. Speedy

Speedy Dolfan forever! :-)

Jan 12, 2010
    Germany
    RIGHT!

btw, can I use a part of your sig? :D

22. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    sure

23. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    So is Kellen Moore just too small for the NFL?

24. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    People really still talking about Weeden as a prospect?

Guys going to be turning 29 during his rookie season.

25. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    obviously you're aware of this since your sig says "suck for Luck" but we simply aren't going to have the fire power for him.

We'd have to be in the top ten of the draft and we won't be. Playoffs? It'd be nice. But we won't be picking top ten IMO. We could trade future picks, but we're sadly a little too good for that too. You don't trade for another teams first unless you think they're going to suck, and we're very good at winning 6-9 games a season.

On top of that, we have to hope the team picking #1 doesn't need a QB...and when is that ever true...

26. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I agree 7-9 is not going to get us Andrew Luck. But there should be some good offensive or defensive linemen available at 10 to 15.

27. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    depends if he puts on 20 lbs this year.

28. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Philadelphia just drafted a G who will be 27 on opening day. Weeden can play. As a 3rd or 4th round pick who can come in and start right away, knowing you'll STILL have 8-10 years productivity........hell yeah.

29. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    No. He's better - IMO - than Andy Dalton.

Two Tacos likes this.
  30. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I agree. If he can put on some weight, I'd be all over this kid. (innuendos aside)