1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Draft thread

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fishhead, Apr 25, 2024.

1. Tuanon4Life

Tuanon4Life Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2022
    Posts like this kill your credibility. The thought of Mac Jones playing better than Trevor Lawrence is delusional. And as far as your criticism of Tua not winning a playoff game I'll ask why you think he should have a playoff win under his belt. He was out against Buffalo so he had no chance to win that one. And the one playoff game he played in was against the eventual Super Bowl champs on the road in conditions that resulted in dozens of fans getting amputations. Not to mention the "team" was decimated with injuries signing players off their couch the week before the game.

Phil Hutchings and danmarino like this.
  2. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    :offtopic::deadhorse::crapstrom::hijack:

3. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Yeah I'm not saying that there are zero trolls. Obviously it's a forum, there's probably gonna be some. However, that's why I was asking specifically who you think are trolls. Cause a guy like pump, I talk to in pms, he's not a troll.

Stale, maybe a couple others, I haven't really had convos with, so they might be trolls.

JJ_79 likes this.
  4. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Well... There is another way to look at it. When the team is winning, when they talk about their criticisms, everyone jumps down their throats and accuses them of being trolls because they're not happy winning. So maybe they stop posting a little bit. Then a loss happens, and maybe the deficiencies they had been talking about show up, so then they post about it. Then they get accused of being trolls because they only post when they lose. Lol

I mean, everything isn't just black and white.

dolphin25, Hooligan and JJ_79 like this.
  5. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    What if I'm a Ford Mustang fan, but I'm ****ting on the Ford Mustang EV and how it's not a Mustang and it's sullying the brand?

Would that make me not a Ford Mustang fan?

dolphin25, JJ_79 and Tuanon4Life like this.
  6. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    No, it's not that Tua "hasn't won a playoff game," it's that he's disappeared in big games.

dolphin25, Hooligan and JJ_79 like this.
  7. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Well thank u because u are correct.
    I will say I am tired of these arguments about who is a fan and who isn't.
    I am just sick of the disappointment year after year!

resnor and JJ_79 like this.
  8. Tuanon4Life

Tuanon4Life Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2022
    Hey Res... if you were a Mustang fan schitting on a Mustang EV you would be totally justified. But imagine if you had a fun reliable car we'll call "Marino" for 16 years you loved that just finally crapped out on you and you went through twenty lemons we'll call "Cleos" in 25 years. You finally get a car that is the best you've had since the one you loved. We'll call this new cool car "Two-Ah". "Two-Ah" had a few minor issues when you first got it that you had fixed. It's had no issues for the past year and even though not perfect it's been great after your new mechanic got it running better than ever. Would you trade it in or keep it for a while?

Phil Hutchings and resnor like this.
  9. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    I’ve said that pump isn’t a troll. JJ isn’t a troll. You’re not a troll. The ones trolling are pretty evident.

resnor likes this.
  10. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    It’s not even that though. They never write anything positive, when there are tons of things positive about this team, and instead say everything from the owner to the rookie who hasn’t even played a game are no good. Then add on the other things I mentioned above and it’s pretty clear. And add to that the “new guys” that sign up, make a few inflammatory posts, and then leave. Do you think those new guys aren’t just the same guys who are here now? They are. I’d bet my house that they are. They sound the same. Like a broken record. They create alts, rile up people, and then leave only to come back with their main accounts to rile more up.
    One perfect example is one of these new guys made a post, then a few seconds later makes another post in a different thread that would have taken 10-15 minutes to write. Yet it took seconds? There was one guy who I caught awhile back that was refuting my posts and then copying my posts onto another forum to argue the same thing I argued. Some one basically disagreeing with me here and using then my own words to argue with someone else on another forum. I called him out and he stopped posting. Only to see another “new guy” show up a little later.

resnor likes this.
  11. OwesOwn614

OwesOwn614 Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2020
    Sometimes, it is. I've seen you couch your criticism by saying you were at least glad we won. There's always room for improvement and I am cool with discussing it. I don't much care about dishonest conversation.

YKW could go 25-37 with 3 TDs and 350 yards in a 21 point win and the usual suspects would complain about the 12 incompletions. I can't speak for you, but I find those people to be fundamentally unserious.

Imagine your wife spending all day in the kitchen cooking your anniversary dinner and your only comments being that it was ready 10 minutes too late and that your mom used less garlic in the pasta sauce.

resnor, JJ_79 and danmarino like this.
  12. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Or my favorite… “Tua has a weak arm” as he has lead the NFL in passes over 15 years for 2 years now. Or, “He can’t use Tyreek, his arm isn’t good enough to hit him in stride on long balls”. Ummmm… wrong again.
    But instead of saying, “Damn, Inwas wrong.” They’ll just change the topic to something else they perceive as a weakness.

Phil Hutchings and Striking like this.
  13. JJ_79

JJ_79 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Germany
    Totally agree but those overreactions go the other way as well. When the slightest critic becomes a bigger thing than it is. I‘m fine with everything as long as it’s honest and civil.

dolphin25 and OwesOwn614 like this.
  14. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Well, because one can have a weaker arm but still, due to the players speed on the team, be able to throw deep a ton. Fast receivers get behind defenders allowing for easier deep balls.

Now, me saying that IS NOT me trying to **** on Tua. It is me telling you that the stat you are using does not have to mean what you think it means. So like when I argue about weak arm, it's but new arguing because I think he sucks, it's because I think the argument used to l counter the "weak arm" argument...is weak itself.

Don't know if that makes sense. To me, everything is just discussion, I'm not saying Tua sucks or should be dumped. I'm just not sure how much he's worth.

dolphin25 likes this.
  15. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I don't think Tuas arm strength matters much in September - Nov on the road.The issue is when the weather gets cold and windy his lack of arm strength comes into play.This can be seen in his 0-6 record in games below 45f.
    He always is compared to Drew Brees who played in San Diego and then in a division with either warm westher or dome teams.I truly don't think Brees would have been nearly as successful if he played in a northern division.
    Any shot of us ever going to a superbowl it is imperative we would have home field advantage.
    That is why I am upset with not addressing the lines.Tua is not going to beat elite teams on the road in the playoffs and our line is not to built to smash mouth these teams either.
    I think we have the best skill.players all around in the league but won't matter come Decemember with this mediocre offensive line.

dolphin25 and resnor like this.
  16. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I thought offensive line doesn't matter since all Tua does is get the snap and throw the ball immediately to a spot without even thinking.

I'm confused.

17. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I thought u were an idiot and I was right.

18. Aquapride

Aquapride Active Member

Mar 7, 2024
    My perspective is that it was a fine decision to draft Tua and give him a chance. Really the Dolphins did more than that as they loaded up the roster with receiving targets. Had the team drafted Justin Herbert instead of Tua would the Dolphins have accomplished more than they've done the past 4 seasons? Nobody knows for sure, but my guess is probably not.
    I do believe the Chargers made a mistake extending Herbert to a big dollar multi-year contract, just like the Eagles are now harmed by Jalen Hurts big contract. More than half the teams in the NFL have made the mistake of overpaying for the QB position.
    I understand that sports agents and fans believe it makes good sense to pay the "market price" for a QB, bit I disagree. A better sense option is to pay QB's on rookie contracts and, or sign veteran QB's to one-year prove it contracts. This strategy allows a team to spread the payroll money around among all positions.
    My hope is that Mr. Ross and Grier will tell Tua's agent 'let's see how the team does for the 2024 season and talk again a year from now'.

19. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    You should look at other QB’s road playoff games in cold weather.

Take Brady. He only played in 9 away playoff games that were in cold weather. He was 5-4. The overwhelming majority of QB’s don’t play well in away + cold weather. Home games matter and shouldn’t the a knock on the QB. Tua is 0-1 so far in those games.

20. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    In 2022 (the only data I could find quickly) Allen had a 78 passer rating in 5 games 40 and colder. That compares to Tua’s 73 passer rating in the same temps. Wins and losses are team stats. The Bills won the majority of those games where Allen average about 200 yards passing with that 78 passer rating.

21. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Yea but he is 0-6 so not not just talking about playoffs.So until he wins one I won't believe he can.
    And remember Allen can run the ball where Tua can't.People never bring that part of his game up.In saying that Allen is a choker in playoffs and not a winner like Burrow is.
    And remember U need to run the ball in bad weather.Our finesse offence with this line is not going to work.We need home field

22. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Again though, wins and losses aren’t QB stats. It’s not an individual accomplishment. Allen and Tua play similar in the cold weather. Yet the Bills, who historically have had the better TEAMS, win more cold weather games.

Brady and Manning never ran the ball.

For his career, Tua averages about 2.6 rushes per game at about 2.9 YPC. Burrows, for his career, averages about 3.5 rushes per game at about 3.3 YPC.

23. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    And back to.my point.We need a better line to run the ball in cold weather.This line is not as good as the week 1 line last year and this is before the inevitable injuries we will have.
    It also remains to he seen if this ru ndefenxe will be as good without Wilkins.
    Last year I was thinking last year we had shot at a deep playoff run before season started.This year I see third place and lose out on wildcard the last couple weeks of season.
    I also see Tua not.playing full season.

dolphin25 likes this.
  24. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Oh yeah, there are many ways where a weaker arm is better measured than "deep balls," but that's the only argument that gets thrown arms when we talk about weak arm.

pumpdogs likes this.
  25. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Having an Oline full of all-pros would be great, but that’s not going to happen for any team. I see Armstead missing games, but unlike last year I don’t see every other position on the line, other than AJ, being injured again. Last year’s injuries were a fluke. The entire Oline, LB’s, both starting DE’s, Achane missing many games, etc… that won’t happen next year.
    Losing Wilkins sucks, but the guy played nerly every snap. I believe that the guys they currently have, being able to rotate like the Ravens do, will collectively be just as good as Wilkins. Maybe not a fresh Wilkins, but come the 2nd half, when Wilkins was wearing down, these guys will be fresh. This team is better when it comes to depth. They still have all their playmakers. This team wasn’t built around Wilkins and he wasn’t a game changer. He just wasn’t. He’s not an Aaron Donald or JJ Watt. Teams didn’t game plan for him. They were aware of him, of course, but little would be changed because of Wilkins.

I mean, I guess we can all make assumption of who will get injured, or who will play an entire season, but Tua played every game last year and most thought he wouldn’t before the season started. Many expected Armstead to miss games, that happened and will most likely happen again. No one anticipated the amount of injuries this team had. It was unprecedented and so rare that I doubt we see a repeat next year. Injuries happen to all teams, but what we saw last year is very rare.

I foresee them getting at least one more IOL in FA. If they do, with the depth and current players, this Oline may be better than last season. I don’t necessarily think the Dline will be better, especially at the start of the season if Chubb is still out and JP getting back to full strength, but they should be fine and get better as the season progresses. Barrett and Chop, IMO, will be big players on the defense. The backfield should be fantastic and better than last year. And the passing defense is the biggest factor in winning or losing games on that side of the ball.

I think their chances of a deep playoff run is pretty good.

Saying all of that, this team could go 8-9 or 13-4…No one expected the Chiefs to go 10-7 or the Bills to go 11-6 last year. No one thought the Lions would win 11 games. The Jets looked to be legit contenders, but Aaron went down and that changed. Not many expected the Cowgirls to win the division over the Eagles.
    Point being, all of us are just guessing at this point. We all have differing points of view and ways we look at things. When those POV’s are reasonable and are backed up with some objective facts that’s great.

Phil Hutchings likes this.
  26. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Velocity is another measure, and guys like Allen can throw the ball like a rocket, but arm strength is down the list on what makes a QB a great passer.
    When it comes to cold weather play, it’s not like Tua’s is play is any worse than most other QB’s. Last year in the playoffs, Mahomes completed like 4% more of his passes and had about 50 more yards. Better yes, but it’s not like Mahomes (who is far more experienced in both cold weather and the playoffs) just blew Tua out of the water when it came to play. They each had 1 TD. Tua had 1 INT compared to Mahomes 0 and that was the biggest difference in their game play. Tua ran the ball 3 times compared to Mahomes running it twice.

resnor likes this.
  27. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    You said the same thing to me, your last paragraph.

Jmo Trolls are posters that will feed off the negative and not have the ability to convey both sides of a debate, and they cannot see that what happened in a past regime cannot bleed into a new one.

Have to be able to recalibrate the brain to give each regime a clean slate.

Love chop

Didn’t want Paul

Love Malik

Wright will help and will be needed for the future

Not a fan of Kamara.

Will hope for all of them to be equally susccessful.

Not gonna spend the next few months criticizing players and processes considering how many times that backfires at this level.

All the player if successful will fill a need

resnor and danmarino like this.
  28. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Not sure how u see losing Hunt and Williams will make a better line?Huge downgrade at both spots and Armstead is another year older who already is the most injury prone player on team.
    And no upgrades are left in free agency.

Last edited: May 5, 2024
    dolphin25 likes this.
  29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Also, Trolls are posters who don’t have the ability to provide context

danmarino likes this.
  30. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I really go above and beyond when it comes to understanding the frustration of being a dolphin fan and how that can create the personality of a poster.

But if one can’t be self aware enough and see how they’re coming off and adjust a bit, then they should find another place to *****.

There has to be a standard.

You can also tell when some just like to see their words in print and get off on it.

If we want the forum to thrive then hopefully the mods are doing their job and the rest of us in our own way can hold them to a higher etiquette of style.

danmarino likes this.
  31. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    :sidelol:

32. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    From September to November, high flying quarterback play dominates the game but in the cold weather months of December and January, it’s the ground game that rules.

During these cold weather months in cold weather stadiums, the passing game significantly diminishes for all teams. Running the ball becomes the staple teams need to be effective with in order to secure wins. Finger pointing to quarterbacks is senseless when the great quarterback play seen earlier in the season diminishes during the cold weather months.

I LOVE the high flying passing game. Marino did that for me and he changed the game as it’s played today but the one thing I do know, which still holds true to this day, the team that can run the ball effectively is the team that’s going to win during the brutally cold weather months of December and January.

danmarino likes this.
  33. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Exhibit A

djphinfan and danmarino like this.
  34. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    That’s only half the story though, losing Hunt and Williams. Who have we got now? Will Butch get everyone playing great like he did with AJ? The depth, even right now, is better than last year’s. Brewer has played all 34 games over the past 2 seasons. He was ranked the 11th best C in the league last year. Williams is a better C, but will Butch be able to get more out of Brewer than the Titans were able?

Hunt missed like 7 games last year. He’s a good OG, but I don’t think his play will be hard to replicate with the guys we have or may pick up.

Here are the latest OG FA’s left:
    • Dalton Risner
    • Phil Haynes
    • Halapoulivaati Vaitai
    • Greg Van Roten
    • Mark Glowinski
    • Justin Pugh
    • Tyre Phillips
    • Trai Turner
    • Pat Elflein
    • Wyatt Davis
    • Chris Reed
    • Justin McCray
    • Matt Feiler
    • D.J. Fluker

• There’s a few guys in there I’m hoping the Dolphins can sign. Hopefully Butch can coach them up.

35. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Brewer is second worst center in pass blocking.

dolphin25 likes this.
  36. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I don't agree with u and we see how plays out at all but will see how it.plays out.

37. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    professor from Harvard once told me, while drinking mind you, “the lack of self awareness is an indictment of the intellect, the ability to communicate at all levels, is a sign of intellect.”

Last edited: May 5, 2024
    danmarino likes this.
  38. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I wasn’t sold on the Butch Barry hire last season. I just felt his resume didn’t reflect great offensive line performance but I do have to give credit where credit is due. With the OL dropping like flies to injury last season, they were able to play adequately. Who knows, maybe the 3rd time was a charm.

I know many aren’t sold on Patrick Paul. I have my concerns but when you look at the actual physical specimen he is, he’s the prototype OT. Looking at Paul, he physically reminds me a lot of Michael Oher.

Can Barry bring out the Oher in Paul? We’ll just have to wait and see.

dolphin25 and danmarino like this.
  39. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I would summarize that professor in this manner…

A smart man is smart enough to know he doesn’t know everything.

I’d like to think that’s what made my career in the Army a success.

danmarino and djphinfan like this.
  40. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Yeah, he definitely needs work in pass pro, but his run blocking was spectacular enough that he was graded as the 7th best C in the league by PFF. But can Butch do that? I think he can and if Brewer can get even somewhere in the middle of the pack in pass pro he will be a steal.