1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Draft Tek 12/30 Mock Draft (4 Rounds)

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Frayser, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Frayser

Frayser Barstool Philosopher

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
  2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Not a big fan of McCoy, but I'd still be pleased overall.

Need to look at who else was available.

azfinfanmang and Frayser like this.
  3. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Like Powe a lot.

Frayser likes this.
  4. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Edgar Allen?

Just asking..... :confused2:

Would love to end up with Bryant, but would hate to see us go TE if we did.
    Eric Norwood is a very interesting prospect. Wouldnt he actually project as a Will ILB for us?

5. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    LOL.

OK, here's a 'it's New Years Day and I'm watching a costume drama with the missus pre free agency and all that jazz' mock draft sort of effort, all assuming we pick 11th:

1. Dez Bryant-WR-Oklahoma State
    Makes me moist just thinking about the commissioner reading his name at our pick.

2. Tyson Alualu-DE/NT-California
    Strong as an ox, he looks to me as though he could play NT. Very active run stuffer can play end also.

3. AJ Edds-LB-Iowa
    Poor mans Chad Greenway. Can play SOLB or kick inside, looks good going forward or back.

4. O'Brien Schofield-OLB-Wisconsin
    May well go higher than this but edge rush threat who is terrific in sapce and can cover.

6. Jeron Mastrud-TE-Kansas St
    Improving blocker with ability to get down the field and make a big play on 6'5, 250 frame

7. John Malecki-G-Pittsburgh
    Former DT. Undersized with POA tenacity and good leverage. High upside.

7. Michael Johnson-ILB-Northern Alabama
    Small school tackling machine with good size and range. ST value also.

7. Demarco Sampson-WR-San Diego State
    Physical specimen with hands, speed and size. Raw but big upside. Similar special teams ability.

I may have ballsed up the order but I'm operating under the assumption we lose the 5 for Thigpen and have 3 7ths. Apologies if not but I have had sherry.*

* not true. I hate sherry.

6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007

I like those first four picks, especially Edds and Alualu. Huge fan of them two.

7. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Yeah, I see four early contributors there, 2 starters and two who would play a lot in rotation (Tyson and Schofield)

8. Frayser

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks for the mock, Simon . . . even if it is a little sherry-influenced.

9. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    You think he will still be there for us?

10. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    One can hope at the very least.

11. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    If we get a chance to choose between Bryant and Spikes I would be thrilled, also Ireland will be in the hot seat because that is one tough and big decision for him to make. I would guess you would have to go for Bryant even if we badly need a MLB.

The Rev likes this.
  12. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Ronnie, I think we can get that linebacker help if we're canny in free agency. I like Spikes, but you don't always get the chance at a Dez Bryant.

13. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Who is available at lbs if the cba gets taken care of?
    If you really think bryant will be available that late in the draft i have no choice but to root for the steelers tommorow.That would be a steal.

14. Frayser

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    If we pass on our chance to get a field general on defense (I prefer McClain to Spikes), I hope it is because we locked up a major free agent like Dansby. I think that's the only combination that is really a significant improvement over drafting McClain and signing Antonio Bryant.

Next year is the year to draft a receiver.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  15. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Boomer... dont we have two 6th rounders? ours and washingtons (for JT), for that matter dont we have KC's 6th rounder for the two OL we sent them before the season started?

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  16. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    :up:close, Yes we traded 5th, but we actually have 9 total (2 extra 6ths, and 1 extra 7th) picks as of today. So back to the drawing board for you :wink2:

http://forums.thephins.com/showthread.php?t=42643

9 total picks, not including any compensatory end of rounds 3-7

1st #12 in round
    2nd #11 in round (#43 overall)
    3rd #10 in round (#74 overall)
    4th #12 in round
    5th (to KC for Thigpen - #11 in round)
    6th (from KC for Alleman/Ndukwe - #4 in round )
    6th (from WAS for Taylor -#5 in round)
    6th - #10 in round
    7th (from KC for our '09 7th - #5 in round)
    7th - #12 in round

adamprez2003 likes this.
  17. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Alrighty, I'll get in the spirit. Here's a fun one.

Round 1: DE/OLB Derrick Morgan, Georgia Tech
    Comment: Morgan has literally the entire package going for him. He can rush the passer. He has great speed off the line and good body flexibility. He is very strong, balanced and can stay on his feet. He has an eye for the action in the backfield, and is able to react quickly to get off blocks. He has the straight up ability to destroy someone on the other side off the snap with brute strength and feistiness. Overall excellent use of hands to sweep blockers away as he flows to the action. Can break down, reading the action, then quickly accelerate to the ball. He is an athletic player who should be able to accomplish the relatively minor coverage assignments given to SOLBs in Miami's system. Honestly I'm not sure, at this point, if Miami can get hold of him. Someone is going to draft him before we can, because he might be the best defensive prospect not named Suh or Berry. But for now, he's a nice one to talk about.

Round 2: WR Demaryius "Bebe" Thomas, Georgia Tech
    Comment: As I've continued to watch him, I don't see issues gaining separation against players with legitimate speed, and you can't beat his raw physical ability. He is an extraordinary blocker in that system, comes pro-ready on that front straight out of the box. He keeps his arms extended and his feet moving, locking onto the defender, always knocking him backward. He keeps his head in the play, and will hustle to make blocks that help spring players for touchdowns when 95% of the other receivers you watch would have already been jogging it up. Great concept of what is and isn't legal. Overall, he's another guy that probably won't be there at this selection. I could definitely see him rising into the first round.

Round 3: OT Kyle Callaway, Iowa
    Comment: I know the front office has studied Corey Wootton a lot and has a lot of respect for him, so I know they also had to notice that Kyle Calloway matched up on him real well. If Callaway pans out, you can move Carey in to Left Guard where he can solidify our line from an injury standpoint. I don't expect A.J. Edds to be available this late.

Round 4: DT Vince Oghobaase, Duke
    Comment: Once upon a time he was one of Duke's most prized recruits. He had a career that was tracking perfectly to be one of the top DLs in the nation until an injury-plagued senior season with inconsistent play even when he did show up on the field. It seems within this front office's style to take a guy in this area who has been an outstanding performer until getting temporarily de-railed a bit. Value play.

Round 6: DE/OLB Adrian Tracy, William & Mary
    Comment: The Dolphins will want to make sure this position is good to go for years to come whether Cameron Wake begins playing better as a linebacker or not, and we know they tend to like to take two guys at the same position in the same draft, at a position of need. Tracy is the NCAA active leader in TFLs, has a multiple position and basketball history, smart as a whip, great speed off the snap, a really nice build and is a tackling machine for a DE at 6 tackles per game the last two years.

Round 6: TE Jeff Cumberland, Illinois
    Comment: Once upon a time, a four star recruit and the 66th ranked high school player in the nation, Cumberland's career never really took off with the Illini. They moved him to WR which I feel was a mistake. An uber-athlete at 6'4" and 250+ lbs, but having run the fastest 40 and had the highest vertical of any TE prospect at the L.A. Nike Training Camp back in 2005, a track star, one would think he was a poor blocker. That's why I was surprised to watch him a few times this year and find that later in the year he was on the line as the #2 Tight End, and that he was more than holding his own blocking on Defensive Ends. Plays most special teams units. Broke a teammate's jaw last year after an argument over whether the other guy had stolen his cell phone, probably one way he got in the doghouse this year. The other way was his fumble and drop against Missouri. He might not last to the 6th round.

Round 6: PR/KR Trindon Holliday, LSU
    Comment: It's been a long journey for this staff looking for a natural return guy with speed to kill, ball skills, and perhaps an ability to help out on offense in special plays. Holliday may be tiny, but he has absolutely killer speed. He's one of the few that could threaten Chris Johnson's title as fastest man in the NFL. He's averaging 17.7 yards per punt return in his senior season and has averaged 15.5 over the last two years combined. I think he presents something on offense for an offensive coordinator that is creative enough to use him in the right situations and on the right plays. Just because LSU never quite made it work, doesn't mean it can't be done.

Round 7: CB Marcus Udell, Middle Tennessee State
    Comment: Not going to pretend I've watched the former four-star recruit (catching a theme here?) play much, I have his bowl appearance against Southern Miss on file but have yet to watch. However the JUCO transfer and one-time Alabama signee has really stepped up this year with 7 interceptions, leading a ball hawking secondary. He had an interception against Clemson on a day when the Middle Tennessee State secondary held the Tigers to less than 160 yards passing, none of the big plays came on his watch. Udell's teammate, the diminutive Alex Suber, is the feistier player, but Udell's nose for the ball and larger stature take precedence.

Round 7: DE/OLB Lawrence Wilson, Ohio State
    Comment: I may already have two of these types of players drafted already but there's no harm in trying another one. Boomer and I have discussed Wilson before, we both really liked him a lot early in his career but it has been derailed by a broken leg which required a steel rod be placed in it, and a year later, a torn ACL. He was a monstrous high school player and looked well on his way to becoming a monstrous college player as well. The injuries slowed him down enough to cause him to lose his role to very talented players Cameron Heyward and Thaddeus Gibson. But, that doesn't preclude a comeback, especially as his rookie year would be his second year off the ACL injury. I would Derrick Morgan as the starting SOLB in this defense, Adrian Tracy as a guy to compete with Charlie Anderson, and Lawrence Wilson as a guy to compete with Quentin Moses.

18. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007

You have us taking a OT in the third, but no MLB, and really only one true addition at LB??????:no:

Frayser likes this.
  19. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Sorry about ballsing the picks up.

Nice call on Wilson Chris. You think Morgan lasts?

As for OT's, Chris made a good point about kicking Carey inside if Smiley's shoulders are done.

Frayser likes this.
  20. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    That does make some sense, except one thing that has really stood out to me this year, is Carey is not nearly as mobile as we need our guarfs to be.
    -
    Of course I understand picking the best value available at your draft spot.
    -
    Let me just say, I would be really surprised to see us take a tackle, at all much less that early.
    Just don't see it. A guard in the 4th or later perhaps...

21. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Since FA happens before the draft, obviously positions acquired (which is as much of a best guess as projecting the draft) help reduce needs.

We have 9 draft spots, but only 4 are 1-4 and 5 are in 6/7.

I would list in no specific order of need the OPEN positions to be:

Defense
    FS, OLB, DL, ILB, CB (WA injury ?/depth)

Offense
    WR, TE, OL, RB (RB injury ?/depth)

ST
    PR/KR
    Xtra Bodies

So by my count I would list 8 key needs (FS, OLB, DL, ILB, WR, TE, OL, PR), with CB and RB being potential needs depending on health/age, etc.

Thats 10 spots for 9 picks (and knowing not every pick will FILL spots, and we like to double up like CK and AZ mentioned) its going to be very hard to fill everything via draft and have it match up.

If I had to wager, I would say the mandatory fills via FA or Draft must be (no specific order) FS, OLB, ILB, DL (DT over DE based on Ferg injury) with WR, and TE.

thats still 6 big fills.....I am one who doesn't think this team is that far away, but these 6 fills for our future longevity and production are crucial.

Anyway, for all folks doing MOCK Drafts can you hint at what you see happening during FA to set up the MOCK as you have it. Would help many of us for sure see the mindset.:hi5:

22. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Honestly...no I don't think Morgan lasts. I probably brought him up just because we don't talk about him much even though he's a guy that should go in the top 10. I don't know if he'll last to our pick unless he runs something at the Combine that is slower than I would expect.

He's really the only guy at his position in this entire draft that has put the full package on display for a stretch of multiple games. I think we've discussed before that he hasn't put it on display for multiple years, but he definitely had it all going for him by the middle and end of this year.

Lawrence Wilson, gone but not forgotten. :)

23. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Actually three additions at LB.

24. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Bottom line with the ILB posdition is I do not expect this staff to have the patience to fix the position through the draft. There are a boat load of guys set to be free agents, CBA or no CBA. And they like Channing Crowder, for good reason IMO.

NE drafted Jerod Mayo and he played about as well as you can expect a rookie to play but he was still sort of mediocre on an absolute level. He's still not fantastic. One day he will be, but right now he's little more than solid. Look how long ago the Jets drafted David Harris, and he's just now peaking in this his third year.

So, do you want a fix for the linebacker position that takes hold in 2010 and 2011? Or do you want a fix for the linebacker position that takes hold in 2012?

Considering how this team is built...I would prefer the quicker fix. Trust me I struggled with a ILB option but after Spikes and McClain, there aren't many guys I like.

25. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    You know what Kenny, I certainly think Carey can play RG. You'd like to think Donald Thomas could end up at LG and use his power when on the move, but he really struggles in space at the moment.

Chris - agree on Morgan and yep - gone but not forgotten!

26. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    -
    -
    Understood, and I agree on the learning curve for an MLB.
    If we don't get a really good one via FA (I like the ob vious Dansby myself) we had better make it a HIGH priority in the draft.
    I also like the kid from Iowa, even his name has attitude :up:, and he is a bit smallish, b ut is versatile
    Note taken on Carey and Thomas.

27. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    What are we looking at with no CBA?

Karlos Dansby, Brandon Chillar, Keith Bulluck, Gary Brackett, Larry Foote, and Matt Wilhelm?

That's kind of ugly, I think.

28. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    As far as free agency goes ... I'd be targeting every LB out there that I think upgrades what we already have at 3 of 4 LB spots ... whether it be for depth or starters. I'll be surprised if both JT & Peezy are back ... so that would leave us with just Wake at OLB. Crowder is serviceable with a better player next to him so we really only need a DeMeco Ryans kind of player to plug in next to him. Then I'd look to draft for depth behind those two.

Beyond those positions ... if we don't draft a FS that can step right in, I wouldn't mind trying to steal Sharper away from the Saints for a couple of seasons. Of course WR will be a focus also & if this whole Marshall thing leads to the Broncos cutting ties with him or offering him up for a middling draft pick, I am all over that deal ala Moss/Raiders/Pats

At HB, as much as I love RB & RW ... one has missed significant time with injuries two of the last 3 seasons & the other is getting older ... behind them, you have 3rd stringers. It may be time to let RB go or trade him & go get a new young stud like Matthews.

29. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Cobb, Hilliard, Sheets with either Ronnie or Ricky isnt horrible....with both Ronnie and Ricky for 1 more season at least it would be quite fine to focus efforts elsewhere.

The big question is Ronnie injury or Ricky age as you point out.

Gunner likes this.
  30. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Between Dansby, Scott Fujita, Keith Bulluck and Larry Foote, those are some names I would heavily consider that I expect to play better than Akin Ayodele and Reggie Torbor, yes.

ssmiami likes this.
  31. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Brandon Chillar got a contract extension in mid-December.

32. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Scott Fujita was already on a Bill Parcells team, and they had him as a strongside OLB in a 3-4, and let him walk after a year for Greg Ellis to move from DE to OLB. They had Scott Shanle starting 8 games at ILB next to Bradie James that year.

Keith Bulluck would be severely going against the youth-oriented grain that they've only broken in a couple instances, and it's possible desperation would push the envelop there, but it ain't a huge winner given the possibility of him flat breaking down.

I think it's basically Foote and Dansby who are "good" fills. Unfortunately, there are probably 25+ other teams who feel the same way, including potentially the teams they play for who are likely armed with what, three different rights-retaining tags this year?

33. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    I really love Cobbs but he brings so much more to the table beyond the HB position (special teams for instance) that I think I prefer him as that "jack of all trades" role and still be our 3rd option at HB.

When it comes to Hilliard, I agree with Boomer when he says for a big guy, he sure goes down easy. He fills pretty much the same role as Cobbs with a bit less effectiveness in an area or two.

As for RW, I am not sure he has a full season as the #1 option in him anymore. Even with his post Ronnie B. injury production, it seems to me he has really looked worn down the last couple of games. I think he has another season in him as the #2 option ... but I think as a feature back he would break down after about 8-10 games.

That is why I am stuck on this idea of getting a new, young feature back that can handle the work load for 16 games. Maybe I am on my own in thinking this way, but it is just the way I feel about the HB situation :yes:

34. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Dansby and Parcells have had a rapport with one another since his drafting. If he made it out of Arizona, I have a feeling Miami would be amongst the tops on his list. And when it comes to that, money talks.

Larry Foote probably would like to stay in Detroit as it's his home town, but you really don't know until you ask. In the end, as I said, money talks.

I don't see speculation on their feelings about Fujita. I've seen that kind of speculation before about how this staff *must* feel about certain players based on their experience in Dallas, and that speculation has turned out to be crap. They were extremely disappointed with Akin Ayodele in Dallas. They didn't want him in that trade for Anthony Fasano, they were trying to get Bobby Carpenter, but Jerry Jones said no and offered Ayodele and so he was just purely an afterthought. Since then he's played better for Miami than he did for Dallas and so now they like him better. People thought Parcells *must* hate Antonio Bryant based on their time together in Dallas, but oh wait, there's Parcells texting encouragingly to Bryant through intermediaries, which is the basis for heavy speculation that Bryant could come to Miami via free agency. You don't know what they feel about Fujita, and what I know is he's big, extremely athletic, and is playing pretty well in New Orleans. Their experience with him in the past has to be accounted a plus for the possibility of his coming here, not a minus IMO.

Also, I'm not sure Derrick Johnson will be retained in Kansas City, and if he is, I wouldn't be surprised to see a minor trade as the two staffs here and in KC scratch each others' backs frequently.

ssmiami likes this.
  35. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Let's go ahead and throw that kid from UNM in the MLB hat....you know, he missed the season in Chicago due to injury :up:

ckparrothead likes this.
  36. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    If I had to bet, I would guess that Dansby is the most likely FA acquisition.

37. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Good call, I forgot about that.

I'm with rafael, I think Dansby being forced to play the full year on a franchise tag without a contract extension will be enough to convince him that he needs to see what the market is, and at that point Miami has a chance to woo him.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  38. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I get the feeling you don't care for the LB corp if there is no CBA... :wink2:

Seriously, I totally agree with you, with the exception of Bullock. IMO, that guy is a player and while he is older I do not believe health has been an issue for him. The injury that he suffered against us could have happened to anyone.

Dansby is a lil over rated IMO but he would be an upgrade to AA.

39. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    I guess over-rated is a relative term, but I gaurantee our defense would be MUCH improved immediately with his aquisition.

Frayser likes this.
  40. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I mean that he is not a great linebacker like the Willis' of the NFL. Is he an improvement to what we have? hell to the yeahsil.... AND maybe having him there next to CC would make Crowder more effective. :up: