1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Draft plan crystallizes with Jake Grove signing

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Sceeto, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed...3/draft-crystallizes-with-jake-grove-signing/

In addition to hopefully solidifying or improving the interior of the OL, the thing I love about this move is how it narrows down the major needs for us for earlier in the draft. It can give us more focus now. :D ...."intelligentsia" ....
    Hmmm..
    Yeah, that sounds more like it, IMO. :D
    I would love to get him, but I don't know how far down he might end up at. I flirted with taking him at 2b, who knows? Maybe. T. Taylor from Mich. is a guy I like whom might be had a bit later.

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I don't care who they draft because I'm standing behind them until I have reason to believe otherwise.

They will pick who they think is best. There is nothing I can do but be a fan and watch and root on from the sidelines. So far, so good in this offseason IMO :up:

Some of us may be upset by a few things that have gone on but remember we all bleed aqua and orange here and remember what happened last year. They've got that record or showing improvement, they've got my vote of confidence.

GO PHINS

3. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    O.k. Ditto. ;)

4. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Holy s---!! Much tougher indeed, but I have all the faith in the world that big Jake will handle it and make us all more proud of him than we already are.

HULKFish likes this.
  5. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I'm intrigued by the idea of adding Clint Sintim with the 44th pick (move up if we have to) to provide a new element to the pass rush. One of the great characteristics of a great 3-4 are ILBs who can provide pass rush so that not only are the edges providing an attack but the insides as well. We lacked any pressure from inside this past year and it hurt us badly especially against mobile QBs. If we were to add Sintim and move him inside (we have the flexibility to do so now) we could add four sacks to the pass rush versus trying to constantly upgrade the OLB position.

I mean what's easier to upgrade? Terrible interior pass rush to very solid or good to excellent. Obviously the former.

If we add a decent CB and veteran WR in free agency yet, I'd love to add English, Sintim, a CB, and a NT. You'd be essentially re-stocking the entire front seven and even the secondary. The team would be stacked.

6. FinFan_Est.1984

FinFan_Est.1984 Get Aggressive!!!

Jan 6, 2008
    So. Calif.
    I would definitely like to get Brace in the second. I hope he falls to our 2b.

I also believe we will draft at least 3 maybe 4 LB/DE and a Corner. I say it will be a Defense heavy draft with maybe one wide out getting picked up, if he, whoever it may be falls into our laps.

Sceeto likes this.
  7. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    3-4 LB/DE? That would be a little pointless though with Porter, Roth, and Wake guaranteed spots. You have room for maybe one. At ILB we do have room for another guy though. We have room for a third nose tackle. CB though is just not adequate. I do have faith in Allen though I like his size and love his ability to attack runners. His 6-1, 205 lb frame will be essential in shutting down the outside run in a way Goodman could not. However I would seriously consider adding a Chris McAllister and Jason Allen.

8. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    1st. You'd have to move up to a lot further than #44 to pick up Sintim. He's an alternate of mine for our #25. English being my first choice.

2nd. I don't like the idea of picking a guy that high and then changing his more natural position. He could probably do it, but Sintim's specialty should be getting to the QB from off the edge. JMO.

3rd. In a 3-4 or 4-3, for that matter, there is a lot more to do for an ILB than getting to the QB. They call a lot of the D plays and alignments, etc., But I do agree that we could probably use an upgrade at that position at some point.

4th. If we're trying to constantly upgrade the OLB, than it shows, 1. How important a position it is and 2. That we're not set there as of yet. Yeah. Statistically speaking, we had a lot of sacks, but that was mainly due to Peezy when he was on his rampage. When teams figured him out and started double teaming him etc, then our pass rush was practically non-existent.

9. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I beg to differ. Nothing prevents him from playing outside as well as inside. It might not be his natural position but it could be his best. Line calls? It's not like Ayodele is much of a defensive signal-caller out there it's mostly Crowder making calls. Sintim can stack and shed like few others. He's actually in between our two picks as far as a value. He has instincts and can make the switch.

If you don't bring any defensive pressure from inside you're allowing Porter and Roth (if he gets there) or Wake to be driven outside far past the QB who can step in. One of the reasons we're going to feature Starks so prevalently at RE this year is because he's arguably our best DL pass rusher. James Farrior is a very similar case. Every year he provides over 3 sacks and in some years a little more. He was a OLB in college picked highly in the draft and switched in position.

10. FinFan_Est.1984

Jan 6, 2008
    So. Calif.

3 or 4 Linebackers. Wether they be ILB or DE/OLB's we still have room to improve. Porter is not getting any younger and even though we resigned Crowder we can definitely upgrade Ayodele and Channing in the middle. There is much to improve in our Line backing corps and it seems to me that Parcells and Co. like to draft multiple players for the same core positions. For example last years draft with the running backs, Defensive ends and O-lineman. I believe this will be the year of the Linebacker.

Sceeto likes this.
  11. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    It's not pointless, far from it. The Giants were able to utilize what, four different starting quality defensive ends in their Super Bowl year?

Porter has experience lining up as a "true" linebacker in nickel and dime formations, not the standard DE. If they were so inclined, Wake/Draftee at ends with Porter at LB in a 4-man front would provide some quality pass rush.

Porter is old enough he might decline any minute. It's quite possible he also may suffer the rapid, sudden decline that everyone thought he suffered the year before.

Ultimately, not drafting another guy high puts alot of eggs in the basket marked "Cameron Wake", which is kind of rocky ground for a guy who basically produced only in the CFL.

Sceeto likes this.
  12. phineas64

phineas64 Season Ticket Holder

Out of our top three picks I expect we will come out with 2-3 of the following: LB, CB, WR, NT. If we can nail two of the slots with starters this year (or at least consistently productive rotation guys) I'll be happy.

The Aqua Crush and Sceeto like this.
  13. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Totally, bro! I agree. I have 2 LBs in my mock and I could add more. :) Definitely a D heavy draft and I agree about maybe taking a WR. This is such a deep class for WRs and it is a need for us, that it would be crazy not to. I have us taking Britt with our 2a. That's pretty much the only O guy I have on my list. :)

FinFan_Est.1984 likes this.
  14. skippysphins

skippysphins Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    the poconos
    i hope we draft some of parcells stars period.

anlgp likes this.
  15. skippysphins

skippysphins Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    the poconos
    i also have a funny feeling the trio will go outside the box this year. i am going to say a center or a true # 1 wide out but time will tell with the first pick #25 . i really want mack he blows hugh holes open i want to see the r and r running wild!

16. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    honestly at this point, i dont think anyone can make an argument for anything but OLB, WR, or CB with 25. and im pretty confident that those are the 3 positions we will address with our first day picks. i dont see the brass picking a NT like Ron Brace that high. that would be a reach really. and their not going to do that.

The Aqua Crush likes this.
  17. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I wouldn't be surprised if in the first round the Dolphins go with either Percy Harvin or Hakeem Nicks, and at #44 they go with Sean Smith, and at #56 they go with Cody Brown.

Keep an eye on Cody Brown. They've shown tremendous interest in him and it may suggest that they will look outside of pick #25 to find some aid in the OLB/passrush department.

18. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

Cody Brown is really the underrated OLB possibility around the internet. im glad you brought him up :up:

Sceeto likes this.
  19. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    nice post......

20. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    If that was in fact how they played out the first three picks i would be very happy.

21. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    That's kind of a good alternate plan to what I have. I probably would take Nicks over Harvin. Harvin's durability issues concern me a bit. I would be absolutely thrilled if we could somehow land Sean Smith and Cody Brown is a good back-up plan if we decide not to to take one earlier, though I think we probably should. Sidbury is also an interesting prospect for later in the draft. Do you really think Sean Smith will still be there at #44? Thanks bro. :)

22. Styla

Styla #1 Davone Bess Fan!!!

Apr 1, 2008
    Chillaxin' in So.Cal
    I would love to walk away from draft day 1 with a CB,WR,LB :up:

Dolfan4Life and Sceeto like this.
  23. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Honestly we might have to take Cody at #44 if we want to be assured of getting him. Pretty much every 3-4 team out there has given him a really good sniff. It wouldn't surprise me if he's one of those guys that the coaches and scouts are sitting on, not talking much about him, and the press just haven't caught onto how good he really is yet.

Sceeto and Frayser like this.
  24. Frayser

Frayser Barstool Philosopher

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Haha . . . I just changed up my mock this morning to Nicks/Smith. I just don't see DJ Moore falling to us at #44. But you might be right about us having to jump early for a guy like Brown. I think it will all depend on where you see a run on certain positions. If a lot of corners go early, I could see us grabbing Smith at #44 and then seeing what 3-4 prospect falls to us at #56 (Brown, Kruger, Barwin, Gilbert, Brace, Marks). If there is a run on 3-4 prospects, then perhaps we wait on corner.

Sceeto likes this.
  25. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KTeWMfkyM8"]YouTube - DE Cody Brown Highlights Connecticut vs Buffalo 2009[/ame]
    Not bad. Interesting call CK. ;)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbKrkPREYcs&feature=PlayList&p=F195E6513C81ACC8&playnext=1&index=30"]YouTube - Congemi's Corner With Cody Brown[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNkUCGZowUY"]YouTube - Cody Brown Working Out For the NFL Combine[/ame]

evz, Dolfan4Life, Agua and 1 other person like this.
  26. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Hakeem Nicks would certainly not be a disappointing pick at 25. It would go completely outside the box but it would certainly be interesting.

gunn34 likes this.
  27. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    It is pointless though because if you were to select three or four LBs, you're going to have to cut a very capable player or a draft pick. You probably are going to see two draft picks one at OLB and one at ILB. Anything beyond that and you're ignoring other needs such as backup safety, CB, FB, etc...

I mean at the maximum you may see three, where both ILBs are kept and the OLB replaces Andersen who was pathetic.

28. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

first name that comes to my mind is lawrence taylor but he was taken second overall. do you guys know who was taken first? :lol: I looked it up once upon a time but I can't remember the guy.

I don't think we'll pass the true LT, but if we come even halfway close..

Sceeto likes this.
  29. FinFan_Est.1984

Jan 6, 2008
    So. Calif.
    1981 NFL draft

Sceeto likes this.
  30. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Well there's also another possibility which has been seldom discussed in here. With Jared Cook's performance as Dustin Keller 2.0 what if Miami were to draft him at 44 and place him in the slot or at the split end position? Marques Colston and some of the leagues best WRs don't even run as fast as him and as soon as we see his quickness numbers he may possess major potential as a guy who can effectively get the SLB out of the game on the opponents' side.

31. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, I would not be surprised if we over value Brace as we are thin at a key spot in our defense, heading into the season with Fergie and his health issues and Soliai and his weight issues is not a comforting thought.

And Brace would be one more linchpin of a up the middle/front 7 overhaul.

And I agree with Jaj, Te could easily be upgraded, DMart is going into his contract year and he is not much of a blocker, and in Dallas Ireland and Tuna thought nothing of having 2 high pick Te's so they are not afraid to fire at a Cook or a Coffman.

And Ireland loves small college players, a Les Robinson or a Rb like Devin Moore or Pierre Walters a DE/OLB would not be a surprise at all.

32. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    What would make our draft even more interesting is if let's say we were to sign Jabari Greer giving us at least a good #3 if not solid #2 CB (remember the Bills had very little pressure on the QB all season, signing CBs from teams without much pressure on the QB is one of the best and wisest decisions possible, for that reason I think McFadden is highly overrated).

We would essentially have no pressing needs at any position and would be free to do a BPA at any position draft. Who knows you may see Maulaluga slip or something, we trade up with a fourth rounder to acquire him and then the next pick could be Jared Cook or something like that and then a RB slips etc etc...

Never in my history of watching the Miami Dolphins have we ever gone into a draft without any pressing needs. We're one position away.

Agua and padre31 like this.
  33. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

Well, you just have to know that the Staff sees things differently as they are perfectionists, but fundamentally other then Cb we don't have a "must start on Day 1" type of hole to fill this year, assuming the Olinemen recover completely.

We could take Nicks, Coffman and not have to worry about when they could start for us, a pity that Beck or Jason Allen never were in a situation such as that one.

34. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    if were thinking that position at that spot then i say screw jared cook and take the MAN, james casey

35. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    Jaj: you CAN'T be the same guy utilizing the handle "Jaj" over on FH, are you?

36. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

on the same note, because of Brandon Pettigrews slow 40, if he falls to us, you would have to think long and hard about him. he would come in and immediately become our best blocker at the TE position.

37. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I haven't posted on FH since the split.

38. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    At no#25 I would hope that they would take the very best player available who can have an immediate impact on the Dolphins play, whether it be offense or defense. This team still needs to be built into a consistant and winning team and that can only be accomplished through the draft and not free agency.

gunn34 likes this.
  39. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    We need as much help as possible. I'm all for drafting the best player available at 25. Even if it takes a few years for the person to develop, it only helps us in the long run. And I want to be successful for a long time.