1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Draft Implications Of Resigning Hartline?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Bpk, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Mexphin

Mexphin Well-Known Member

May 6, 2012
    Ensenada, Mexico
    Agree, not completely sold on Jennings, but i would be ok with him

rafael likes this.
  2. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

What are you basing this statement on? I hope it's true, but other than Ireland personally attending WVa games, what else is there?

3. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    *sigh* well, might as change my sig pic now...ahh, what coulda been...

I guess now this allows Ireland to draft his #1 rated player at 12...Jonathan Cooper.

TooGoodForDez likes this.
  4. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    not me, I love Bess. Hartline is a better overall receiver but he's not special at anything, he's merely average in every aspect of a receiver's game (slightly above average at route running). but speed, athleticism, quickness, elusiveness, RAC, ability to break tackles, hands, etc...he is average at best. he does nothing great. at least with Bess there's a couple things he does great, and of course I'm referring to his hands and his route running.

djphinfan likes this.
  5. I dont see resigning him as something that changes their draft board. What it does do if they sign a FA and draft someone, it probably turns Bess into trade bait.

Bpk likes this.
  6. ItsDFresh

ItsDFresh Beast Mode

Feb 21, 2013
    New Jersey
    I think this (depending on FA) means we dont look at WR in the 1st round. Im still hoping that we have a chance to trade a few picks back and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder and draft eifert. Then we could used 2 of our 3 3rd round picks if it goes that way to trade back into the second and have 3 2nd round picks. Then we draft a WR and either double down on CB or draft a pass rusher and a CB.

7. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    That's probably about all we'd need, no? I don't think he'd attend 3 games for anything but the player he covets for our 1st round pick. So out of 15 weeks for the regular season he sees WV twice, and on December 29th he chooses WV over Texas-Oregon St.

Bpk likes this.
  8. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I hope you are wrong.

9. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    doesn't mean he can't covet more than one guy. Wonder what other games he attended.

10. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    I still think Miami takes one wide receiver in the first five picks. But I think we are loading up on corners.

unluckyluciano and shula_guy like this.
  11. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I would be shocked if we didn't take at least one CB and one WR in the first 5 picks. I'd also be surprised if we ended up using all 10 picks (potentially 11) and didn't take two WRs (or at the very least two pass catchers).

Bpk likes this.
  12. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    I will be AMAZED if we don't take two corners before the end of round 3

13. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I wouldn't mind taking two corners but at the same time this free agent class seems great. Hard to imagine the Dolphins can't find some good ones if they're smart in their evaluations. Approximately 26% of all corner snaps in 2012 went to guys who are now free agents.

sports24/7, Bpk and ToddPhin like this.
  14. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    agree. I think there's a chance we saturate ourselves enough at corner in FA to where we don't need to draft one early but likely will if the value is there.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Bradley Fletcher is my favorite option. Would be really happy to sign him and bring back Smith.

16. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I think you'll see us make an attempt to corner the market in Free Agency.

Hiyoo.

But in all seriousness, I would be pretty surprised if we don't come into the draft with free agent signings at both WR and CB. However, I fully expect WR and CB to be a big part of this draft ... followed more than likely by addressing the defensive and offensive lines.

Bpk and ToddPhin like this.
  17. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    yeah I wouldn't be surprised to see a DT go in the first 3 rounds with how Ireland seems to be proactive about addressing future needs.

18. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    The fanbase would revolt - absolutely revolt - if we took another O-linemen or D-linemen in the first couple of rounds. But we still are unsettled at G and Starks is currently playing a one year deal.

19. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    ... and as is Soliai essentially. I'd hate to have our back against the wall next year with both those guys hitting FA and no leverage or insurance policy in our favor.

Bpk likes this.
  20. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Exactly what I was going to say. The amount of talent in this FA CB class is pretty mind blowing. You will be able to get a very good corner at a very reasonable price IMO. I don't see how the Dolphins don't get one.

21. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    On the thought that we aren't able to sign a Jennings or a Wallace, I think it's 3 offensive skillset players with the first three picks, with Eifert being the main target, (have to get the top tight end) not signing either of those two free agents were gonna have to go full metal..

Eifert and your two fav 2nd rounders would be cool..stick these three talented rooks with Hart and Bess, let Matthews develop, let fuller compete in camp as a 6..let them and Tannehill grow together as a Very young unit..

22. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    If they miss out on Jennings and Wallace they need to try and trade for someone. If they strike out there they need to go WR at 12 and then again with one of your round 2 picks. If they want to trade back up into the 2nd to get Eifert fine, but you cannot go into the season with Hartline #1 and a 2nd round pick #2.

23. MrClean

I'm guessing we will agree to terms with some WR in this 3 day window before free agency opens. If during that period it looks like we struck out on both, we may try to sign a 2nd tier WR like Gibson, Avery, or Hixon.

Xeticus likes this.
  24. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    It really depends on who were trading for, and that depends on what team is willing to trade a player that will be our so called #1, I'm just throwin something out there in case..

I understand the initial reaction to what I said, but if you give me Eifert and two 2nd round wide receivers that I like, it will soften the blow and still have upside..but I do think you are correct that a trade would try to be had, just trying to figure out all scenarios that can excite me 24.

Who are your two favorite wide receivers in this draft that you can expect to get in the 2nd round..?

Part of this strategy is dependent on getting Eifert, I don't think you can go receiver first and the next available tight end, the drop off in tight end from #1 to # 2 is enough where it forces me to take Eifert and two receivers, rather than receiver #2nd tight end, 2b receiver..

25. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    I would guess we come to terms with someone too. If not, I hope the backup plan isn't #3 guys like Gibson, Avery, or Hixon. I hope option B is trading for someone better. I just don't see any of those 3 as much of an upgrade. Maybe Gibson, but even still I think it's more of the same of what the Dolphins have.

26. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    I have a handful of guys I like. Bailey and Patton are probably my favorites, but I like Hopkins, Hunter, and Williams quit a bit too.

If you get Eifert (who I also like quite a bit) and two 2nd round WRs you could be in good shape, but I think you're taking a big risk. The later you wait on a WR, the lower the chance you're getting a good one is. Now this is a deep class so it may be a bit different this year, but I'd rather go with a surer thing when you NEED to hit at WR immediately. I also think this is a very good TE class and while I agree Eifert is the best, I'd be more than happy with any of the next 3 guys as well.

27. MrClean

I'd like to get Gibson if the price was right. He quietly had a pretty good year. Good catch pct, few drops. 51 for 691 w/5 tds and only 5 drops. He's not going to upgrade your team speed though.

Avery had 60 for 781 w/3 tds, but had 12 drops. He is pretty fast, or was when he came into the league.

They would both be only fallback options if Wallace does not want to be a Dolphin.

28. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Ok, that's all I'm saying, no Wallace, no Jennings, Eifert...Bailey and Patton..not a bad coup..plus you spend that 11 mill somewhere else..

The thing why Jennings makes so much sense is that if you don't get him anyone that does comes in, besides Hart and Bess, is not gonna know the offense off the bat..

29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    According to @PFCentral the #Dolphins have contacted the agent of WR Brandon Gibson."

Like I said, just tryin to prepare for all scenarios.

30. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Well c'mon now. There are examples in plain sight that prove this statement to be quite ridiculous, really.

I dont see what would be so complicated about over-paying Jennings, and drafting Patterson anyway. Vision and creativity ? :lol: You kill me sometimes. In actuality, that's probably not even a good idea considering the basis of this (your) thread !