1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Draft Gholston!, Imagine How Powerful Would We Be If...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Finsavior, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Finsavior

Finsavior New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Mexico
    I really think that Gholston is the guy to draft, I'd love to have him here even more than Glenn Dorsey, Chris Long, Jake Long or even McFadden...

Gholston should be drafted within the 5th - 10th overall pick, so if we can trade down a little bit, pick Gholston and earn an extra first rounder an extra second and third and maybe next years' first round, for example:

Cincinnati has the 9th overall and they want McFadden (for example), so they trade down with Miami for the first overall, they give us their 9th, plus they talk with Dallas (for example) and trade one of their first rounders for Cin's 1st for next year (and maybe Cin's 4th), Cinncinati also give us their newly acquired first rounder (this year) and give us their second this year and their second next year..., so Cincinnati would lose next years' 1st, 2nd and 4th, this years' 2nd and they would exchange their 9th overall for the 1st overall this year (not too much of a loss) while we would have 3 1st rounds this year (saying that our early second counts as a 1st and a top 10 pick) and also 2 second rounds this year with another 2nd next year...

Do you see a movement like this happening?, is it possible?

Go Phins!!!

2. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

That's one helluva scenario. It's not likely to happen. The most probable trade would be between Miami and Dallas. I can't see a complicated trade between Cinci and Dallas happening to accommodate a trade with us - especially considering Dallas has the hots for McFadden too.

3. SarahAnn

SarahAnn New Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jake Long, we havent had a decent line in YEARS and it has shown. We cant even begin to evaluate Quarterbacks until they have the chance to throw the ball without being pressured on every play. We have no need for a RB. Plus Ohio State players that have come to Miami havent shown me anything in the recent years.

On a more personal note I would also like to see a player who isnt a Merc. Gholston is from Michigan and plays for OS? I'll pass.

4. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Gholston won't last until the 9th pick, infact he could be in the mix for the #1 spot if he has a great combine. I want him to be a Phin too, but no way he gets past the Jets, Raiders and Pats.

While I agree that OL is important, that was actually a strength for us this year. Plus from what I've been reading, Long is better suited for RT. You don't spend a high 1st rounder on a RT.

Defense is our biggest need, some people are calling for a Qb, some are calling for McFadden, some are calling for the Phins to trade the pick for Ocho Cinco, but none of those players can stop the run or defend the pass. You can't let your opponents score 25+ every week and hope to win.

5. SarahAnn

SarahAnn New Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Oline wasn't a strength for us this year as much as it wasnt our biggest problem. However its still not fixed and should be. Thats why I would move down a little to draft him.

We do need a DE but like I said, I dont see Gholston being the answer. Our line is Horrible, or Linebackers are pretty bad, and our secondary just plain sucks. No way the addition of a single DE fixes all that.

6. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    I disagree, they did really well in the run game and well in pass protection. Could they get better? Absolutely, but you still don't spend a 1st rounder on a RT.

Gholston would be a LB in the 3/4, pretty much the same role that JT played. Infact he might be better on the opposite side because he is pretty good in coverage.

How about swapping with the Raiders for Asomugha? :up: Parcells doesn't want problem children, so Hall isn't a good fit from what I've read about him.

7. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    With Petrino gone Hall is likely to stay in Atlanta, his name should be dropped from most trade talks. Still, the concept of trading with the Falcons is one of the more reasonable ones out there.
    Dallas? Please. Marion Barber is an animal, and they need secondary help way to bad to blow loads of picks on McFadden-neither they nor their Browns pick will be that good, they will be giving up a lot more to hit #1.
    Nor do I see us scaring a lot of teams by pretending to be in love with McFadden. I would call that bluff in a heartbeat.

Jake Long is overrated, dont want him anywhere near the Phins, certainly not for a high first rounder.

8. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    DHall wouldn't be happy here, he said he wants to go to a team where he can win now and that he is sick of losing. With our luck he will get traded to New England when Samuel leaves this off-season.

9. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    :thumbup:That would be great, likely the best trade brought up.

10. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    I don't think their are any limitiations trading for a player that has been tagged just have to come up with a contract agreement before he is traded.

11. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Ooh damn thats a nice one, would love to see that happen! However with him being a FA it would have to be an NBA like sign and trade, just doesnt seem like that happens all that much in the NFL.

12. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Another thing is I don't think Parcells would want him here, wouldn't he be under the "thug,hoodlum" category?

13. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Once you get tagged, it's 2 first rounders, right? Not sure if that's automatic or if a team has the right to trade him for less (like moving up in the draft). What if he's signed before the draft, could they swap him or is there a waiting period?

*edit * I forgot about the cap hit, so scratch that.

14. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    2 first rounders is what the franchise tag does apply when it comes to a trade but the team with the franchised player does have the option to work something out with the trade partner.

15. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I understand this isn't the majority view but:

Why should we risk soo much money and cap space on a CB who can be easily circumvented by throwing against our Lb's or Safeties or other Cb?

I like Gholston, IMO he "cold" be a once every 4 years type player, I also think that trying to spend 80 million + on a player who does not provide every down impact in a proactive sense is Folly, and should be avoided.

A CB is not a game changing player in themselves, they must be placed in a great defensive unit first, Clements, Bly, both got large money and their teams, and defenses stink.

A "impact" defensive layer must occupy two of the offenses players each and every play, and then must overcome that situation more then occasionally.

How about Gholston, Otah, DT, MLb ? That would assume that we keep Jt.

IMO, we stick with the 4-3 next year, it is easier to stock...

16. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I dont think anyone was suggesting that hall or asmougha alone would make this unit into a defensive power, but it would help. Adding 2-3 players, one of whom would be a CB, though, would go a long way. CBs are becoming extremely high value player because of the fact this league is morphing into a passing leage. Obvisouly, if you give a QB all day to throw, he will win games, but you need someone to give the passrush some time to make a play as well, its all a symbiotic relation.

17. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

Indeed, a shut down Cb is a High Value commodity, problem being, they are finishing touches, not cornerstones of a Defense, as such, it is better if we develop our own High Value Cb's.

Look at the Pats Cb's, no names in the draft, yet the system makes them into All Pro's.

I would much rather go that route then to pay 80 million for a CB...

18. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Well, you're assuming that we won't upgrade the other positions. If you get the chance to grab a top 3 corner for nothing but a swap of a few draft slots, you do it. This mess of a defense won't be fixed in one offseason, but adding Asomugha is a great start.

Spending that much on any player (vets included) is risky. The other players at the top of the draft all carry the same question marks. Dorsey is too small to play NT in the 3/4, he'll be kicked to the outside. J Long is better suited to play RT. C Long isn't as good as Gholston in coverage.

I'm not familiar with Otah, but I think that defense should be drafted early and often. I also think it's time to part ways with JT. This is a rebuilding team and we should utilize him as trade bait for future players. By the time the Phins are a playoff team again, JT will be at the end of his career.

I think Parcells already said that he was looking for prototypical 3/4 players, didn't he?