1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Draft Day Primer

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by CinoEvil, Jan 6, 2008.

Tags:
  1. CinoEvil

CinoEvil Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    When: April 26-27
    Where: Radio City Music Hall, New York City
    Time: Starts at 3 PM ET on Saturday and at 10 AM EST on Sunday.

Television coverage: NFL Network and ESPN

Rounds: There are seven rounds; rounds 1-2 go on Saturday; rounds 3-7 on Sunday

The picks: The draft order in the first round is determined as follows: 1) the super Bowl champion has the last regular pick in each round, while the Super Bowl loser has the second last regular pick in each round; 2) the remaining teams are grouped according to won-lost record; if there are both playoff and non-playoff teams within a won-lost grouping, the playoff teams are grouped after the non-playoff teams; 3) non-playoff teams in each group draft in reverse order of their opponents' combined W-L %; 4) playoff teams are also grouped according to strength of schedule, though they are further aggregated by the team(s) advancing the farthest in the playoffs in the same group. Where two teams with the same records and their combined opponents have the same winning percentage, divisional or conference tie-breakers arer applied whenever applicable. Any ties that still exist are broken by a coin flip. In subsequent rounds, the team with the highest pick in the previous round in each won-lost grouping drops to the bottom of that group, while all other teams move up one place.

Compensatory picks are awarded based on a formula the primary factor of which is a team's NET losses of unrestricted free agency the previous year. These picks are added on at the end of the assigned round. As part of the CBA there must be a minimum of 255 players picked at each draft. If the total number of regular plus compensatory picks is less than 255 additional compensatory picks will be awarded to the teams with the highest picks in the first round starting with the team with the very first selection until the 255 number is reached. Assignment of comp picks usually is announced a few weeks before the draft.

Teams have 10 minutes to make their picks in the first round; 8 in the second; and 5 in subsequent rounds. A team going over the time limit may make their pick at any time after the clock runs out, but the team(s) with the succeeding pick(s) may make their picks as their turn indicates.

2. DogBone34

DogBone34 New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    So Cal
    Thats cool, we'll have all night to work that 1st pick in Rd 3.

3. Tractor Traylor

Tractor Traylor Crafty Veteran

Jan 5, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    Anyone thinking of going?

4. fishyanks

fishyanks New Member

Dec 5, 2007
    1. I just moved to the city from Westchester
    2. I've never been to the draft.
    3. THe fins have the number 1 pick

Um, hellyeah!!!!!

5. Biggtyme13

Biggtyme13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I will be there. This will be my second time. I was there for the Ronnie Brown Draft it was a great time.

6. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Ah forgot they dropped the time limits on the picks, good deal. Im a freak and will watch every minute of the draft both days, but some of the rounds and obvious picks just drag on and on and on.