1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Download speeds...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by 305, Dec 14, 2007.

1. 305

305 Brawndo Club Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Get off my lawn.
    I use azureus to download torrents but I have been getting crappy download speeds. Anybody know how to maximize d/l speed with that program?

2. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Step one is to stop using Azureus.

Step two is to start using uTorrent.

Step three is to follow uTorrent's built-in speed guide and recommendations including setting up port forwarding on your router.

Step four is to ask technical questions at technical sites, not general discussion forums at football sites. You'll have better odds of success that way.

3. 305

305 Brawndo Club Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Get off my lawn.
    haha thanks... finheaven's the only forum Ive ever given any attention to, thats the only reason I asked here

4. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I don't blame you, it's just that FH isn't really a good site for technical support.

The official Azureus and uTorrent forums are much better for that kind of thing. The uTorrent forums even have a stickied thread to troubleshooting speed bottlenecks and a configuration walkthrough.

5. Bruzer

Bruzer New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Idaho
    Also some internet providers cap speed limits so checking that may give you an idea what you max download speed. Like around here my download speed is capped at 130 kB/s which sucks but what can i do.

6. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    While not a magic bullet, uTorrent has an encoding option that has a decent shot of getting around the caps set by ISPs.

7. KennyStang

KennyStang Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Also keep in mind that with torrent clients you are not guaranteed a given download speed, even if you pay for 1.5mb connection, you don't always download at you max speed. The reason for this is that torrent clients connect to other users with the same file, so your speed is dependent on how many people have the file (peers) and how many people have the completed file (seeders). Also on how fast those that have the files are uploading them. Just something to keep in mind.