1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

done with windows

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by NaboCane, Dec 12, 2007.

Tags:
  1. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    anyone know of a site where i can download linux? i tried from a site called debian and it promised to replace windows as my operating system automatically/effortlessly, but it just sits there and wants to re-install every time i access it.

i'm dumb as a hammer when it comes to geek stuff, so it has to be self-installing so i can't possibly mess it up...which i will if i'm at all involved.

2. njfinfan

njfinfan The First Lady

Nov 23, 2007
    Newark, NJ
    Joe - I don't use Linux but hubby does. Here's the site he downloaded it from. He said it's free and it comes with support.

www.ubuntu.com

3. Clumpy

Clumpy Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 10, 2007
    Can see The Ralph!!

We finally have proof :thumbup:

4. njfinfan

njfinfan The First Lady

Nov 23, 2007
    Newark, NJ
    [​IMG]

:lol:

5. Clumpy

Clumpy Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 10, 2007
    Can see The Ralph!!
    Omg!! LOL :D

6. njfinfan

njfinfan The First Lady

Nov 23, 2007
    Newark, NJ
    :punk:

7. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Good luck. My Linnux experience was far from good. Too much limitations; better off with Mac than Linnux.

8. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
  9. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Mac>All

10. Bruzer

Bruzer New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Idaho
    For a work computer your probably right the type you get I think depends on what you do like me doing alot of game work and playing games i need windows.

11. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    If you're not good with "geek stuff," stay the hell away from Linux. Stay FAR, FAR AWAY. Ignore the zealots: their operating system is not good enough for casual users, and likely never will be.

Get a Mac.

12. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yup, Mac is the best. Easy to use and rock solid. Plus, C-Net rated it the best machine to run...Vista. Seriously the new Macs are essentially dual format. Normal computer needs you run on OSX, and if you play games you can just boot the machine into Windows, with little effort.

13. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I became "done with Windows" about 2-3 months ago. I'm just sick to death of an unstable machine. My computer is not that old, I built it myself and the thing is already a dinosaur. My friend has a 2 year old Mac. He uses his machine for the same reasons I do (Photoshop, video rendering, web design, very little gaming) and that Mac is a DREAM to work with. The only upgrade he has needed was extra hard drive space.

When I did the math for all the crap I need to rebuild the machine how I want it/need it, it did not make sense.

I'm buying a Mac in the Spring.

14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Way to come over to the right side. You'll be so happy. However, why you were using a PC for design stuff, is a little troubling...:lol:

15. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    thanks everyone for your input. i don't think i can handle linux if it's as dependent on computer literacy as you say.

i'm going mac with my next machine, but can't do that until next year. meanwhile, i'm stuck with no itunes (it stopped working a couple months ago and when i try to re-install it says i'm missing a key file) and my media players are all messed up.

not to mention a recurring problem with web connection where once a week at least i have to unplug the comcast box, the vonage modem and the computer, then stay powered down for at least 15 minutes to be able to connect again. otherwise every page I open the browser (firefox) says "looking for www.___________" and comes up error.

i feel like every day, microsoft is reaching into my machine and finding something to punish me with for switching to firefox and quicktime.

16. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I know, I asked myself the same question everytime Windows crashed under the pressure I regularly put my computer under...

I learned on Windows and was simply "afraid" to make the Mac leap.

17. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    I believe the Mac kernel is modeled after the unix/linux kernel. That would mean pc ownz Mac.

edit: And I also am hearing that windows bought the linux kernel for their next operating system. Windows is done and help is on the way.......

18. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Uh... your sources of information should be immediately disregarded, preferably into the nearest bonfire.

OS X runs on the Mach kernel, which was developed as a UNIX replacement. And Microsoft (not Windows: Windows is a product, not a company) has not bought the Linux kernel, inasmuch as the Linux kernel is a) completely free, and therefore unable to be purchased; and b) is a competitor to Windows.

Windows, unfortunately, is not done. Vista is an absolute disgrace, but development on the next version of Windows is already underway, with research taking place on the version of Windows that will be released after that.

19. TokyoFishFan

TokyoFishFan New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Tokyo!
    You could always try Solaris. www.sun.com

I can't say it requires any less literacy than Linux, but there is support out there for it and you can get StarOffice for free as well.

20. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Solaris is in no way suitable for a regular user.

21. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Also, Vista, is Micrsoft's attempt to be OSX. Which is akin to dressing your dog up to make him look human.