1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don Strock's Take on Ryan Tannehill

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by The_Dark_Knight, May 11, 2012.

1. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Good interview with Strock, who in my opinion, was one of the greatest back-up quarterbacks and mentors in the NFL.

Sounds to me he's sold on Moore being the starter, Garrard in back-up with Tannehill in the wings learning the ropes.

Interesting to me however, he says he doesn't see a sense of urgency in starting Tannehill and if he were to start, it wouldn't be until somewhere around mid-season.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/media/...annehill/c2a0859f-9e63-45ca-bf2d-d9ce9d7646af

Sceeto, PhinsRock, Da 'Fins and 4 others like this.
  2. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    Thanks for posting the interview. Always good to hear from Don.

As for what he said about the QB lineup, it seems people have been coming out of the wood work to make predictions about who's going to be our starter and if/when Tannehill starts. As fun as it is to speculate, after all this time of year is for making predictions, I personally feel that no one has a true handle of the QB situation except the Miami Dolphins coaches and I think they would be hard pressed to tell you who they think will be the starter opening day.

At least for the first time in a decade we have a QB competition where we have possible hope and we're not just looking for the least crummy guy.

3. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    This will be the most interesting preseason I have seen for the Dolphins EVER.

4. hammer

hammer New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Beavercreek Ohio
    I just have this feeling Tannehill going to win the job in the off season. I think he's significantly better than his college numbers suggest.

fins4o8, dolfan7171 and Fin-Omenal like this.
  5. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    With his grasp of the offense, I think he could win easily. Of course he had some very head scratching throws in college so his decision making may ultimately stand between him starting or sitting.

6. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Well Hammer/Fin...I do believe you guys are right that he does have a handle on the offense, but Strock pointed out two things in the interview, only one of which I had even prevously considered.

First, Tannehill does have a handle on the offense, but Strock did point out the offense may have to be tailored a little to fit the players on the team. That's something I didn't even consider and it does make sense. An expression I use over here when training soldiers when having to adapt to what you have..."NASCAR rules guys...roll with what you brung" and Coach Philbin's going to have to do that as well...rolling with what he 'brung". That in itself shouldn't be that big of an issue for Tannehill. What will however...

The defense. I've stated this before when discussing rookie quarterbacks. The defense rookie quarterbacks face in the NFL is LIGHT YEARS above the defenses they face in college. They're bigger, they're stronger, they're faster. Rookie quarterbacks faced maybe 5 NFL caliber defensive players on a team when they were in college. Well, in the NFL that's not the case...that same quarterback is now facing 11 NFL caliber defensive players.

I'm not saying these rookie quarterbacks can't adapt and adjust to the speed of the game at the NFL level...but history demonstrates, the odds are against them as a rookie.

But if Coach Philbin says, "let's go, let's put him in"...then I'll trust Philbin's call, but somehow I don't think that's going to happen. How long did Aaron Rodgers ride the bench behind Favre before he started?

I honestly think with the quarterbacks we now have on the team, the professionalism of the coaching staff and the outright desire by both Moore and Garrard to be the starter, the overall level of the quarterback play itself is going to be elevated to such a degree we won't be depending on a rookie to come in and save the day.

Either way, I'm not too worried about it this season. I'm really excited this year, more so than in past seasons, regardless is Tannehill starts this year or not. I really think we have something special here. I will say though, seeing how the past 10 years' worth of top 10 draft picks being quarterbacks hasn't panned out that well overall, I'm hopeful Tannehill with his athleticism will be another Steve Young or John Elway.

7. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

It's a nice article and good to hear from a former player weighing in on the subject and he carries more weight than most being a former QB, but also remember that he came from an era in football where the heir apparent QB was drafted and sat behind the veteran for a couple of years before even getting the chance to start. I'm not saying his words are wrong, nor am I interested in seeing Tanny thrown to the wolves, particularly if he's not really ready but Strock's opinion may be swayed from that perspective...that a QB ought to sit and wait before he starts...

8. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Aside from knowing the offense, which certainly helps, Tannehill has some natural qualities as a QB (like his pocket presence) that are conducive to being able to start right away. However, like most rookie QB's there are still aspects to his game that need work, and how quickly he makes those adjustments and how quickly he adjusts to not just the speed of the NFL game but to the level of defensive sophistication thrown at him by coordinators will determine how fast he steps on the field. Fortunately Ryan's a very bright kid who should hopefully be able to make the proper adjustments in a fairly short time period.

9. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

DK...Couple of differences in opinion... While the other members of the team need to adjust to the O, his presence would certainly enhance that learning curve. Certainly it'll be tailored to the strengths of the rest of the team (or at least, I'd hope), his understanding of the O should allow him to adjust even quicker to any subtle or not-so-subtle changes due to the skill set of our RBs, TEs, WRs, whatever... And remember, the O he ran at TAMU was an NFL O.

Secondly, while the NFL D's will certainly be better than the D's he faced at TAMU, the O skill set of the players he's working with now are NFL caliber players, bigger, stronger, faster also. That would serve to even things out for Tanny on the field...

Aaron Rodgers sat on the bench because he had a future HOFer in front of him, not because it was necessarily better for him. Rodgers was not nearly prepared in the same senses that Tanny is either. Rodgers had to be un-taught the Tedford system (history tells us that is not an easy thing to do) before he could be taught the WCO and nuances of the NFL game. I wouldn't exactly put either Garrard or MMoore in the same breath as Favre, even though he was well into his 30's during the time he started over Rodgers. If Favre had retired (as he so often wavered back and forth about) in GB 2 years before they actually traded him, would Rodgers still have sat ??

But, I don't disagree with your premise at all. The best case is that he sits at least part of this year to develop. The thing is, even tho he has all the physical tools the experience of reading any D's is lacking, never mind experience in reading NFL defenses... Yes, he has several advantages...a coach's son, been around the game his entire life, knows the system we're running, has the physical tools, etc but that experience of making mistakes in reading D's isn't there for him...

10. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I agree 10000000000% with the quoted parts of your post.

gunn34 and The_Dark_Knight like this.
  11. hammer

hammer New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Beavercreek Ohio
    I think some of his bad decisions in college came from simply trying to do too much. I'm not worried about that.

12. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Now if I could only sway your opinion in the PoFo!!

:sidelol:

13. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'd need a lobotomy first.:up:

14. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Please don't let me upset you here not at all my intentions but when I read best backup QB I had to laugh. Come on its funny.

I think he is correct though.

15. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Not upsetting me one bit. I remember Don Strock. I remember the days of "Wood-Strock" and I know who mentored Dan Marino on the sidelines when Woodley showed signs of never getting back to his old form after the viscious hit he took the year before.

Strock, although maybe not as talented as other quarterbacks, he was a student of the game. During Marino's early years, you could see Strock and Marino together on the sidelines after a series, Strock mentoring Marino. That's why I think he was one of the best back-ups ever. He knew his role as a back-up. He knew it and accepted it, using his years of experience in providing guidance and mentorship to Marino.

You don't see that anymore. All you see is someone waiting in the wings for their starting chance, thinking only of themselves.

That's why I think Strock was one of the greatest back-ups of all time...so his opinion carries alot of weight from my point of view.

16. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    You know, your right ! Garrard is going to provide leadership and his work ethic will set the tone for the new coaches. He's someone to watch. He and Peyton both missed last year, but in 2010, Garrard was playing at a higher level. Matt Moore will have to work his tail off for his next contract, he'll have a full offseason with first team reps this time around ! Tannehill is the prize, and the only one (who will be) signed through 2013. How rare is it to follow your coaches to the same team ? He will be expected to start if/when Miami is knocked out of contention. The Qb spot is more intriguing than ever !

We're moving towards a more balanced offense, with a running back by commitee approach. No longer will it be up to just Ricky/Ronnie to carry the offense. Your much more flexible with a stable, it keeps everyone fresh, and an injury to a HB is much less impactful. The Saints have this down to a tee. It will be exciting to see who will step up and be the hot hand each week ! This also applies to the WR and TE positions. There's a lot to be sorted out there, and someone is going to emerge !

The Defense is primarily going back to old faithful, the 4-3 alignment. I expect Dansby to make some more plays. Odrick,Starks, and Soliai will wreak havoc inside. Theres going to be a huge battle at both safety spots, and the nickle back ! Lamar Miller will be an awesome return man by the way.....

And finally........ no more infield !!!!!!!! Starting to get anxious for august !

17. xphinfanx

Nov 1, 2009
    The fact he worked with Marino that cloce gives his opinion some merit right there. Won't it be great if Tannehill can be the franchise QB.

Farve should have man upped and done that with Rodgers intead of crippling himself.

18. xphinfanx

Nov 1, 2009
    Has anyone heard Marinos opinion on Tannehill since he was drafted? Before the draft he commented that Ireland might take him if he thinks he's the best man at that pick. But I never seen or heard his opinion on him.

19. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Why? His opinions on QBs are up his ***.

At some point, as a fan base, we have to realize that Marino was great at playing QB but is essentially useless when it comes to his opinion on football.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  20. xphinfanx

Nov 1, 2009
    Ouch.

21. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

That's good stuff right there. Do you do Bar Mitzvahs?

22. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Actually as painful as what FinD just said is, to a degree he is right. Any great quarterback who offers an opinion on another quarterback is going to do so on a comparrison to himself.

Marino will compare any quarterback to him
    Elway will compare any quarterback to him
    Simms, Theismann, Young...all of these Super Bowl winning/appearing quarterbacks...the comparrison is going to be made to them.

This is why I think sometimes the opinion of the man behind the scenes....someone like Strock, who was right there behind Marino, that their opinion carries weight. He was the man behind the scene with Griese, Woodley and Marino. He was a back-up quarterback. He knew he would never be a starting quarterback and accepted the role, becoming a mentor by the time the Dolphins acquired Woodley and then Marino.

Because of his "outside looking in" role, Strock is much better suited to be able to look at Tannehill and offer a more objective opinion than could Marino, Young, or any other former star franchise quarterback.

I know times have changed since the days of Strock, but the mechanics and intangibles of a prospective franchise quarterback are still the same.

Alex44 likes this.
  23. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Marino swore Huard was a starter.

Look, most guys who are talent evaluators were either not pro players or marginal ones. Marino did not have a head for the game and he still doesn't. His physical talent was so amazing he didn't need to be a student of the game. However, this makes his eye for talent dubious. I get it, we all love Marino, but he wasn't more than he is.

24. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I've always thought Strock was a great backup. And, for the very reasons you state (He was like a great relief pitcher whenever Woodley got in trouble and then mentoring Marino).

This is just off the top of my head so I may be over-looking someone but I'd say the Dolphins have had two of the best backup QBs of all-time and here's my top 3:

1. George Blanda (actually won MVP of the league as a backup QB/Kicker)
    2. Earl Morrall (key to undefeated season; and a great backup in Baltimore)
    3. Don Strock

This excludes young guys (like Rogers) who road the bench for a few years then became great starters.

gunn34 and The_Dark_Knight like this.
  25. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I agree that there is no sense of urgency to start Tannehill. I think the Dolphins FO have already accepted that 2012 is not going to be a very successful year on the playing field. Five or six wins is probably what they are expecting. This will give them another top ten selection next year and they will have one more complete draft plus another free agency period to fill a lot of the needs still left on this team.

Tannehill might get a start or two late in the season, but I don't see him as the full time starter until 2013 or even possibly 2014. I have said all along that this team is still two or three years from being a legitimate playoff contender and nothing they have done in this off season has changed my view.

26. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I feel simply we have no choice but to put our trust in Philbin and Sherman to decide when Tannehill is ready to play in the NFL. I believe strongly however that BOTH MMoore and Garrard have sufficient talent to hold down the position well enough to possibly get us into the playoffs while Tannehill is given a year to adjust to NFL defenses and speed.

If we could afford to give Tannehill a year, that also gives us another draft and FA + more UDFA's to put the right team around him so when Tannehill comes in he is more likely to succeed not just because he sat for a year but also because he then has stronger talent surrounding him. That my friends is IMVHO the formula to take this team deep into the playoffs, and even to the SB in 2-3 years. Tannehill has to be given the time to adapt and the players to work with, in order for him to become an Aaron Rogers caliber player at QB.

27. hammer

hammer New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Beavercreek Ohio
    I remember watching Andy Dalton in the pre season. He was absolutely horrible. So to me, it basically took Dalton 4 preseason games to get acclimated to NFL talent. I see no reason why Tannehill cannot do the same thing.

28. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I think Moore will surprise alot of people.

Wouldn't it be good to have a Brees/Rivers type situation finally?

The_Dark_Knight likes this.
  29. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I really hope Moore or Garrard plays well enough to keep Tannehill on the bench for at least half the season. I think that Tannehill could probably handle it if he started right away, but I think that he'll be more successful if he acclimates at least that long. I prefer the methods used for Montana or Rodgers (not four years though unless you happen to have a HOF QB in place already) rather than the methods used for Manning or Aikman. I think it has a higher likelihood of success. And I'm willing to wait for a half a season or a whole season if it increases our odds of having the our QB situation settled for the next decade or more.

30. Rilo

Rilo New Member

Aug 6, 2011
    I would like to see Moore start then Tanne takes over. They will probally send him to Tom House before the season starts to see if they can fine tune some of his throwing mechanics.