1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don Shula Abides

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Xiidaen, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Xiidaen

Xiidaen Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 3, 2007
    Check out this article on MMQB.si.com:

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/08/16/don-shula-abides/

2. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Some things can just go unspoken...

Bpk likes this.
  3. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I love Don Shula. One of the truly great coaches of all-time (top 2-3, top 5 for sure). He is old school but also showed great ability to adjust to the changes in the game more than any other coach in history has done.

That article was very moving (as were the videos) and also very touching and sad to me - to see life move on and know he is nearing the end - life is short don't waste it. He has been such an iconic figure in the NFL. It has been a privilege to see his work.

4. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    The thing is, he doesn't have to.

5. Finrunner

Finrunner Season Ticket Holder

Dec 11, 2007
    Fantastic article. Thanks for that.

As a child, my parents had moved us away from Florida, and we didn't get to see every Dolphins game anymore. But ANY time they were on Monday Night Football (with Howard Cosell, Frank Gifford, and either Don Meredith or Alex Karras or one of those guys that passed thru - heck, it could have been O.J. Simpson at one point), it was MUST-SEE viewing.

I can still hear the unique voice of Howard Cosell, hear it in my head like it was only yesterday because it made such an indelible mark, saying as the Miami Dolphins ran onto the field, "There.he.is. THE.GREAT.ONE. Don.Shula."

I'm 46 now, and it's still there. Unlike any player (except for Marino, and Csonka, to some extent, because they were my childhood heroes), because he was there so long, it just feels like he was a part of my family. I never met the man, sadly, but if I saw him, even now, I think I'd just want to give him a big hug. Is that strange or what?

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  6. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

That's good stuff. I'm close to the same age as you but my situation was totally different, grew up in Northern California amongst a family full of Raiders and Cowboys fans. My cousin, my brother and myself all liked the Dolphins because we loved Flipper...still holds true to this day.

I'd love to meet Don and shake his hand and just tell him thanks.

Finrunner likes this.
  7. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    He doesn't have to say he is the greatest of all time. I will say it for him: Don Shula is the GREATEST COACH OF ALL TIME!! There I said it!!

8. Finrunner

Finrunner Season Ticket Holder

Dec 11, 2007
    Yeah, exactly that.