1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins vs. The Field

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Galant, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    Historically bad Dolphins? Seems to be the case.
    Nevertheless, where it's by one or one hundred a loss is a loss and there are several other teams out there with an 0-3 start to the 2019 season.

We'll be meeting some of them shortly.

Here's the list of teams currently at 0-3:

upload_2019-9-24_21-44-39.png
    upload_2019-9-24_21-44-30.png
    upload_2019-9-24_21-44-53.png
    upload_2019-9-24_21-45-6.png
    upload_2019-9-24_21-45-40.png
    upload_2019-9-24_21-45-51.png
    upload_2019-9-24_21-46-24.png

And then the Cards are 0-2-1...
    upload_2019-9-24_21-46-50.png

Here's our schedule:
    29-09 Chargers 1-2
    13-10 Redskins 0-3
    20-10 Bills 3-0
    29-10 Steelers 0-3
    03-11 Jets 0-3
    10-11 Colts 2-1
    17-11 Bills 3-0
    23-11 Browns 1-2
    01-12 Eagles 1-2
    08-12 Jets 0-3
    15-12 Giants 1-2
    22-12 Bengals 0-3
    29-12 Patriots 3-0

With last year's squad this would be beginning to look like a good year for us. Sadly, this is a tanking year, and therefore it's looking like we might have a tough schedule for that purpose.

Obviously these records are subject to change but of those on the list only the Bills, Colts and Pats have had a winning start. The rest are all losing. We have three opponents who have lost all their games too.

The Jests are on their 3rd string QB. Assuming the golden boy returns from his bout with mono soon that has to get them at least a couple of wins right? Redskins, Dolphins, Steelers and Giants are their worst opponents.

The Steelers have also lost their starting QB but for the season. Hopes aren't high for them but they're not a horrible team, so again, they have to get a few W's on their record.
    Bengals, Cardinals, Dolphins and Jets are their weakest games.

The Bengals... are the Bengals. I don't even know what to expect. Could they be in for a 1-2 win season? Steelers, Cardinals, Jets and Dolphins are their worst opponents.

As for the Redskins, they didn't look very inspiring last night against the Texans. With a banged up OL they're struggling to protect Trubisky. I think a 1, 2 or 3 win season is a very real possibility. The Jets, Giants and Dolphins are the worst teams they face.

The Broncos, however, have the toughest schedule:
    [​IMG]
    Could they lose all those games? Jags and Raiders, maybe Lions, should be wins....?

If the Dolphins continue to improve over the season, how likely is it we go 0-16? Slim?
    Realistically, how bad are we going to need to be to get the #1 pick this year? It might get a bit hairy for that #1 or #2 pick.

Attached Files:

Surfs Up 99 likes this.
  2. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    What I read there- we're only 3 games out of first place! LOL, go Phins!

3. freeperjim

freeperjim Member

Apr 29, 2019
    LOL...I gotta steal that one!

Irishman likes this.
  4. Fishhead

Fishhead Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2016
    There are more truly bad teams than usual this year, it seems. Only the Dolphins could pick a year to tank and have serious competition for the #1 pick, lol.

As far as what to do with that pick, there’s still a lot of college ball left, so I’m not going to lock onto anyone just yet. Hopefully the Steelers and Texans picks are low enough for us to get three elite players.

mlb1399 and Irishman like this.
  5. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Not that it's particularly interesting or exciting, but I'm gonna call it - we will be the first game the Redskins play after firing Jay Gruden. They will let him get pantsed by New England and use the 50-10 drubbing as the excuse to move on. Also maybe the first game for Haskins, which can be good or bad.

Honestly, we have a decent chance to keep a closeish game against the Chargers. They always suck on the East Coast and they are banged up and missing lots of key pieces. A good gameplan has an outside shot to get a W. I wouldn't predict one, but I wouldn't be stunned like a win over the Cowboys would have been.

6. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    i stand what i said back a week into training camp, this is the slowest least talented dolphins squad ive seen in a long time, and that was before we cut some good players for no apparent reason...

with that said, we are the absolute worst team in the league and then the jets and redskins are right on top of us... steelers broncos and bengals have enough to win 6 games..

The Jets spent a lot of money on players that are going to keep them mediocre, but not terrible.. their qb play is terrible, Luke Falk who was with us last offseason played an atrocious game, he has no zip on his throws they just float there for patriots dbs to grab.. Adam Gase calls the same dumb plays he used to call for us last season, a bunch of predictable bubble screens that you can read presnap..

Still the jets have some kind of talent that can carry them to 4-5 wins once Darnold is back. Im not high on Darnold tho and im a fan of USC, but hes better than average and thats all you need to treadmill in this league. Josh Allen is far superior than Darnold IMO. He carries himself like a franchise qb should and his talent reflects that confidence on the field.

KeyFin likes this.
  7. Irishman

Irishman Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2017
    High Point, NC
    There may be a way to make a profit from all these terrible teams.

We could create the "Garbage Bowl".

There are always a lot of fans so disappointed in their teams performance (like me), all they can do is make a joke out of it. OK, lets formalize the joke and make these losers play one more game to allow them to fully shame themselves, to the delight of the fans.

Sort of a punishment for non-competitive play and a good way for the fans to end a dismal season on a high note.

8. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    Hey look! Someone has already been looking at this.

It's a play-off tournament for the number one pick in the draft. They're down to the final four:

KeyFin and Irishman like this.
  9. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Never seen This one? It's a classic!

JEST.jpg

DolphinGreg likes this.
  10. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    Redskins lost to the Giants pretty horribly today, 24-3. Looks like they're our closest competition.

11. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    They look listless, and they are playing for a dead coach walking. However, it would not surprise me if they can Gruden after he gets walloped by New England. That may provide a brief pick me up. Something to watch. Will need to see how the Jests respond to getting Darnold back on O and Mosley on D.

12. tirty8

tirty8 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2016
    I don't think we are going winless. We have looked vastly better, and we are no longer playing teams significantly better than us. Washington, the Jets, the Steelers, and the Bengals, and possibly the Bills could all be wins.

I think we no longer look like a CFL team and are improving.

Irishman and rackhound like this.
  13. Galant

Apr 22, 2014

rafael and texanphinatic like this.
  14. Hooligan

Hooligan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Costa Rica
    Coming up will be the epic battle between Miami and Washington. I'm sure the oddsmakers are scratching their heads over that one.

Irishman likes this.
  15. Fishhead

Fishhead Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2016
    I doubt we can score against the Bills - that defense is for real. They forced Brady into one of the worst games of his career. Those are 2 losses, I’d say.

Puka-head likes this.
  16. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Cincinnati can have him.. ill take Chase Young..

Irishman likes this.
  17. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Haskins is in danger of becoming the next Josh Rosen once the new coach gets hired

Irishman and texanphinatic like this.
  18. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    The issue is their offense. A close game benefits us imo. We simply dont have the ability to put up 20+, but in a game where points are premium, a lucky bounce can turn it. The Pats won because of special teams and Allen being loose with the football and his health.

19. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    As of today the draft order is

1. Redskins
    2. Broncos
    3. Bengals
    4. Dolphins
    5. Jets

20. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
  21. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    They were making excuses that Brady was hiding an injury..

but honestly, the bills brought pressure all game and forced him on some bad throws.. there were several intentional grounding penalties that were not called against the patriots..

22. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Their line is missing parts and the replacements haven't been up to snuff unlike the past few years. The loss of Gronk as a blocking TE (and Develin their FB) are also keenly felt. If teams pressure Brady, they are vulnerable and will struggle to move the ball. Defense is pretty legit, though they have yet to play a really good offense or a top notch QB. Their schedule is probably the easiest in the league though, Christ almighty.

23. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    This would be one of those interesting years to see the college NC play Miami(I assume the worst NFL team ever).

24. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Here are the updated draft order projections according to ESPN:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2020/story/_/id/27468789/projected-2020-nfl-draft-order-no-1-pick

[​IMG]
    1. Miami Dolphins (0-4)

Average draft position: 1.4
    FPI chance to earn No. 1 pick: 76.4%
    FPI chance to earn top-five pick: 99.3%

[​IMG]
    9. Miami Dolphins (from 1-3 PIT)

Average draft position: 12.2
    FPI chance to earn No. 1 pick: Less than 1%
    FPI chance to earn top-five pick: 14.1%

[​IMG]
    20. Miami Dolphins (from 2-2 HOU)

Average draft position: 19.4
    FPI chance to earn top-five pick: Less than 1%
    FPI chance to earn top-10 pick: 11.4%

Irishman and KeyFin like this.
  25. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Our biggest threat is definitely the Washington Redskins.

They have the toughest schedule moving forward with only 2 match-ups that actually look winnable (Jets & Dolphins). They're also starting a rookie QB (Haskings). Furthermore, the Wk-6 match-up with the Dolphins is in Miami giving us a slight advantage.

In short, we NEED to lose that game. So long as we do, we'll be in the driver's seat for the #1 pick having not only proven we're the worst but also handed the Redskins a win.

After that, the next biggest threat is actually the Cincinnati Bengals. They were 6-10 last year and are likely to regress with Zac Taylor at HC. So any further fall-back and they could be competitive with us. At this point they are missing A.J. Green and have a banged-up O-line. Still, I would imagine they'd win a few games at some point. They face a slew of crap competition: Cardinals, Steelers, Jets, Raiders and Dolphins.

Meanwhile the Arizona Cardinals need to get some momentum, too. The most winnable games on their schedule are: Falcons, Steelers, Browns, Bengals, Giants, Buccaneers. None of those teams are push-overs.

26. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Don't forget the Jets. Redskins, Bengals and Jets in that order are the 3 greatest threats to us not getting the #1 pick IMO. On one hand I really don't want us to go 0-16 but in the end the more important goal is getting that #1 pick and about the only thing that would make me seriously upset this season is if we can't even tank correctly.

Unless of course Rosen starts lighting it up (which is unlikely).. at that point we don't need to tank anymore.

27. Galant

Apr 22, 2014

28. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Honestly yesterdays game was two awful teams... dalton idk what to say about the guy anymore... his guarantee money is dried up his days are numbered..

The Steelers ran a gimmicky wildcat /RPO option offense to take the game off of Masons hands... Mason was great in college running no huddle and just throwingg deep balls.. i dont know what to expect from him in the NFL.. he missed many wide open targets yesterday and settled for checkdowns..

next week i expect the ravens to stomp the steelers

AGuyNamedAlex likes this.
  29. Drizzy

Drizzy Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 18, 2017
    We’re getting swept by the Jets and Bills. Buffalo will probably blow us out at least once. We’re not beating Pittsburgh. Or the Bengals, Joe Mixon will run all over us. Maaaaaybe we beat Washington but I doubt that as well. This team is a joke

DolphinGreg likes this.
  30. BrazForPhins

BrazForPhins From south

May 4, 2008
    I think we’re on pace to a 2-14 record. Today I would bet on beating Redskins and Bengals

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  31. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    The Bengals where entirely uninterested in covering running backs or receivers in the middle between 5-15 yards past the LOS. Like, entirely. Pitt/Rudolph just kept dumping the ball to them and getting like 10 yards a pop. Steelers aren't good, but they made the Bengals look worse than we did. Taylor is a one year coach unless they are insane and let him pick a QB to replace Dalton.

32. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    He is getting his quarterback. Zac had offers from three different teams and he chose the Bengals. He is going to get the opportunity to get his quarterback and sink or swim with that choice.

33. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    It says something, doesn't it, that a team that's "tanking" actually faces a challenge in doing so? I haven't looked into it much but I've not heard any talk of the Bengals or Redskins tanking. That means they're legitimately this bad. Consider that. These teams are so bad that even with their chosen rosters they stand a chance of losing more than a team that has gutted it's roster.

The Dolphins get flak for rebuilding their roster for a season and being 'uncompetitive' but these guys...? How depressing for their fans.

DolphinGreg likes this.
  34. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    I think bengals fans had an idea that this was a rebuilding season, the team does not look much different than the one Marvin left behind... and those rosters Marvin put together never got out of the first round..

Redskins fans though... they were delusional and legitimately thought this season would be different.. That team needs the Alex Smith before the injury.. he brought a different vibe to the team and were competitive with him.. would have been nice for Haskins to learn behind him.. instead they throw Haskins out there with a defeated roster, their hopes are gashed.

they should have just started him from the getgo.. you dont throw a rookie in to start when the team already feel like they suck.. thats how you set wm up to fail.

35. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Posing just a hypothetical question here...what's going to be the mindset of everyone calculating draft positions if...and of course I just say if....Miami were to rip off a 7 to 8 game winning streak in dominating fashion to end the season?

36. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    Haven't considered that a possibility. I mean it would be odd. It would be another mediocre season even despite slashing the roster. It might indicate that the coaching is seriously legit. We would still have plenty of picks to strengthen the team, but... a lot would depend on how we win and against whom. Right now I don't think I could look at this squad and feel like we don't need upgrades, particularly at QB.

If we did get a mediocre pick then I don't see how we could get Tua, or how we could get Lawrence, since being that bad would, evidently, be impossible. So my hope would be for the team to identify a franchise QB would would drop to where-ever we were in the draft.

Maybe Fromm, or Love, maybe even Joe Burrow - if he drops that far...

If we stick with Rosen...which I don't like the idea of... then hit some home runs on tackles etc.

37. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    The Jets would only be a contender if Sam Darnold stayed out indefinitely. So long as he comes back I suspect they'll win a handful of games.

Jets Home: Cowboys, Patriots, Giants, Raiders, Dolphins, Steelers
    Jets Away: Eagles, Jaguars, Dolphins, Redskins, Bengals, Ravens, Bills

There's no reason to think they wouldn't have a good chance in the 9 games I bolded.

And if you're really scared, then consider they play no less than 5 of the worst teams: Dolphins, Dolphins, Redskins, Bengals, Steelers.

I know we knock Adam Gase. I know some don't necessarily love Sam Darnold.

But c'mon. The Jets are not really a contender in this IMHO.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  38. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    Yeah, but as the Dolphins continue to slide towards 0-16, the other bad teams will start winning games.

I don't love Zac Taylor as a HC or Andy Dalton as a QB but the Bengals are not going to end up the worst team in football. They walked into Seattle in wk-1 and lost 21-20. They went to Buffalo and lost by 4 points. They are competitive.

The Redskins are also a team that will compete. They've scored 66 points on the season to our 26. They've given up 118 to our 163. They are considerably better than us and will play several mediocre-to-bad teams including the Jets, Giants, Dolphins, and Panthers.

39. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    Thank you!

Someone with a bit of sense. :)

40. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    I think they are. I've been telling everyone that Darnold will either be a bust or at best average and he didn't disappoint in the season operner. Had a great opportunity to win a game the Jets should have won and just couldn't complete passes when it mattered.

So all those 2-2 or 3-1 teams you listed (Cowboys, Giants, Raiders, Jaguars) don't belong on the list unless you think the Jets are actually a 8-8 team with Darnold. And the Steelers might have found their QB too if you watched the Cinci game.

Which means you're left with the Dolphins, Redskins and Bengals.. the same company I think the Jets will keep. Anyway we'll see, but I think this season will be the first "reality check" season for anyone who really thinks Gase is some great coach or even great offensive mastermind. All hype IMO. I do agree they'll probably win 3-4 games, but I also doubt any team goes 0-16, including us.