1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***Dolphins vs Eagles*** Preseason Game 3 Thread

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dirtylandry, Aug 24, 2017.

1. bigballa2102

bigballa2102 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2013
    So CAL
    I thought ajayi and parker looked good, I think cutler is very very rusty or exactly who I think he is, I don't think I've ever seen him underthrow so many people in my life, he missed stills by a good second and a half an 11 year starter should have known once he was behind the LB he should have released it knowing the safety was outta position and flung it to stills for an easy td but stills had to wait for it thank god for the PI, he under threw parker on a non back shoulder throw good thing DP went up and snagged that away and saved cutler I've seen multiple people say on here that it was a good throw, WTF? horrible throw but I do like the decision to push down the field. DP could have easily caught that in stride for 6. The OL is a little suspect but the defense looks down right horrible.

I've also seen talks about Moore on here too, what does everyone think he should do be ok that they brought in a retired qb to play over him? not battle him for a shot but merely play over him from jump street. You honestly think he cares or has any respect for Gase after that I sure wouldn't I've seen players demand trades for less if you get my drift. he's going to sit back and collect money knowing doughty is so far off from taking number 2 so who really cares unless cutler gets hurt.

2. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    But that's an interconference game, which is what MrClean is saying. It won't have any bearing on whether or not they make it to their conference championships compared to say, Georgia vs. Alabama. College football can get away with these games a little more because of their new playoff system, which, I believe, should be expanded to 6 or 8 teams. I think 6 is perfect. Have a wildcard round.

MrClean likes this.
  3. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    8 would be perfect with each team being a team that won a conference championship

bigballa2102 likes this.
  4. bigballa2102

Oct 22, 2013
    So CAL
    A loss is a lot bigger in college than it is in nfl, a 1 loss Alabama team and still making it to their ship is still one loss, I agree 100% it should be an 8 team playoff, 4 teams sucks because 1 loss is so crucial, an undefeated USC, Clemson, fsu and ohio st will keep bama out with 1 loss, which is garbage.

djphinfan likes this.
  5. bigballa2102

Oct 22, 2013
    So CAL
    you cant do that because you cant weigh the conferences the same, you cant take an undefeated MEAC team lol a 1 loss sec team will fair better in the playoff, I just think having a team w 1 loss be oust for that is a joke, a 1 loss lsu team is better than an undefeated Memphis.

6. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    That doesn't matter to me. an undefeated Memphis team deserves to be in the playoffs if the win a championship. The 1 loss LSU team does not, especially if they lose their championship.

bigballa2102 likes this.
  7. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    If FSU is the team that beat Alabama in the beginning of the year, and then FSU goes undefeated, how is it garbage that FSU should get the nod in front of Alabama? Undefeated Clemson and FSU is improbable, as they would probably face each other at some point in the year. There's plenty of elbow room for a 1 loss SEC team.

8. dirtylandry

dirtylandry Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Denver's defense was 4th last year, offense was 27th. They were 9-7 and lost 3 of 4.

The average defense last year of the 8 div winners was 14. Miami was 27th. I don't know if Miami can make the bigger leap on defense, but pretty confident that will on offense. the best defense will be an elite offense on this team

9. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    For perspective, Alabama had 1-loss seasons in 2011, 2012, 2015, and 2016. Each of those years they made it to the National Championship. In 2014, they had 2 losses, but were still ranked at #4 in the AP Post poll. If the playoff was active in 2014, they would have still had a shot at the championship game.

MrClean likes this.
  10. bigballa2102

Oct 22, 2013
    So CAL

No im saying the no loss team should get the nod what im saying is a top 10 teams only loss is a top 10 team then that team to me should make the playoffs that's why the 4 team playoff is a joke. I was using Clemson and fsu as an example I know they wouldn't both be undefeated I could have used okie!!

11. keypusher

keypusher Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2007
    The most striking thing about the Dolphins last year is that they won 10 games despite a negative point differential. Guessing that is quite rare & unlikely to be repeated, which is one reason I'm not too optimistic about this season.

resnor likes this.
  12. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Yup it's rare. From 2002-2016 negative point differential + at least 9 wins happened only 11 out of 480 times = 2.29%.

Win percentage vs. Point differential actually has a very predictable relationship. Score an average of one extra point per game and regular season win percentage goes up by 2.8 (slope of the line):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    danmarino and resnor like this.
  13. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Texas am vrs UCLA...Both teams play their first game..

I'm all for playing preseason games, I just don't think starters need to play to get up to speed...that's what otas, scrimmages and 6 weeks of training camp is for..I think you can find some sort of balance..less preseason games, and the ines you do play let the 2nd , third and fourth stringers battle for roster spots..

Watching N Suh Play in preseason is lol funny...it's so stupid and pointless..watching Jay Ajayi take viscous hits in meaningless games after coming out of a concussion angers me..

My comparison to college is they don't need preseason games, and they do just fine...examples I showed you is proof..I do understand that all power house teams have cupcakes on their schedule, but as you can see, it's not relative in this context..power teams come out of the gate against other power teams.

Bottom line imo, play some preseason games but play the guys fighting for a roster spots..I have no desire sacrificing the regular season for preseason reps to get starters in rhythm...

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    resnor and Fin D like this.
  14. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    To have a negative point differential and 8+ wins can only happen one way- you won by narrow margins most of the season, got blown out in a few losses and you didn't blow anyone out yourself. That's certainly hard to do, especially considering the one great game Moore had against the Jets with a +21 differential.

Here's how 2016 played out in point differential-

-2 to Seattle
    -7 to Pats (-9 overall)
    +6 to Browns (-3 overall)
    -15 to Bengals (-18 overall)
    -13 to Titans (-31 overall)
    +15 to Steelers (-16 overall)
    +3 to Bills (-13 overall)
    +4 to Jets (-9 overall)
    +7 to Chargers (-2 overall)
    +4 to Rams (+2 overall)
    +7 to 49ers (+9 overall)
    -32 to Ravens (-23 overall) worst loss
    +3 to Cardinals (-20 overall)
    +21 to Jets (+1 overall) best win
    +3 to Bills (+4 overall)
    -10 to NE (-6 overall)

So if we toss out our best win (Jets) and worst loss (Ravens), we're a -2 team on the season. Bengals and Steelers cancel each other out, but it takes about 5-6 other wins to cancel out the losses to NE and Tenn. There's just not enough left to deal with the whooping in Baltimore. We just didn't score well early on and that's how we get to -10 on the season.

The monkier here is that we left 20 points on the field in week one against Seattle (2 missed TD's, 3 missed FG's). That game alone would have put us even in point differential or even swung us to 11 wins and +10 scoring on the year. That would have been equally as rare but it's also a testament to how great our offense kicked in (and our defense collapsed) down the stretch. We didn't have a single game last season where the O and the D showed up at the same time.

15. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    That's often the way it happens, but not always. For example 2008 Dallas had blowouts both ways (4 games with at least +10 PD and 3 games with at least -10 PD). They just ended up with -3 overall PD.

Here are some fun facts for the 15 seasons from 2002-2016:
    - The 2011 Giants ended the season with a -6 PD and won the SB.
    - The best team (W/L record) with a negative PD was Indy in 2012 with 11-5 record. Actually, Indy is the perfect example of what you're describing: 4 out of 5 losses were blowouts and only 1 win was 10+ PD.
    - Other than 2012 Indy and 2016 Dolphins all other such teams have precisely 9 wins.
    - The worst PD of teams with 9+ wins since 2002 was Houston in 2016 with a -49 PD!!!
    - For some unknown reason, 4 of 11 cases where you had negative PD and 9+ wins were in 2016!! (Dolphins, Texans, Lions and Bucs). No other season had more than 2 teams (2004 had 2 teams).

KeyFin and danmarino like this.
  16. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Do you think you could use a few more exclamation points? I am not sure how strongly you feel about this.
    Like I told DJ: That is one school that I just suggested as for instance. If you have not noticed how often programs from the top conferences feast on lower level schools at the start of their schedules, then I guess you are purposely not paying attention. After FSU, Bama has Fresno State, and Colorado State in their next two games. FSU has LA-Monroe next.

17. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    But the freakin games count, so their gonna play their best players, and it's important they do because wins and losses are counted....it's not a preseason for them..games count period....they have cupcakes near the end of the year too..it's just how the landscape of college football scheduling works...

Alabama, FSU, Texas AM, UCLA, I'm sure there are many more big opening matchups, I'm not sure they would understand your points either about how these games are warmups for their regular season..the loser of those games and their chances of competing for a national championship are significantly reduced.

18. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Coaches have that option. No coach is forced to play starters. Starters also get hurt in practices. How was Lippett hurt? He jumped in the air. Period. Ajayi and Drake were concussed in practices. Maybe we should have starters skip practices too.

When you get your own team to coach, you can pick out your starters from just practices, then play all the others in the preseason games. Easy peezy lemon squeezy.

19. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    To be fair, those Denver teams Cutler played for where vastly different than any of the teams from 1993-2005. And Cutler only started 4-5 games in 2006. From 1993-2006 I think the Broncos had a great rushing offense with a 1000+ yard rusher each season (I believe)and when Cutler was there they had a 700 yard and 350 yard rusher as their leading rusher.

20. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Miami was 18th last year.

Atlanta was 27th.

Packers were 21st.

Chiefs were 7th.

Dallas was 5th.

Pats 1st.

Steelers 10th.

Seahawks 3rd

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  21. dirtylandry

dirtylandry Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Espn total defense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    ESPN goes by yards allowed. Which, IMO, is crap. If you filter by PTS/G you can get a better idea of how well, or bad, a defense played last year.

upload_2017-8-29_7-35-25.png

23. bigballa2102

Oct 22, 2013
    So CAL
    I could use some more if you'd like my ! button isn't broke, however you said they start the season, and the well colorado state just smashed oregon st, and mountain west schools have to seek out bigger games because there conference is so weak and they only get the big o tire bowl so that is fresno or colo st seeking out bama not the other way around. However I would say a Colorado st, fresno st is better competition that a Georgia southern, or Alabama state I think we can agree on that.

Alabama usually uses their "tuneup" game like week 8 or 9 which this year is mercer the second to last week of the season which is crap to me, but a good strategy to get your players healthy towards the end of the season.