1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

- Dolphins Unhappy with Phillip Merling -

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by cobrajet, Jul 18, 2010.

1. cobrajet

cobrajet Mr. Ross - sell the team!

Jan 12, 2010
    Enjoy,
    -Cobrajet!

-- Dolphins Unhappy with Phillip Merling --

Sun Jul 18, 2010 --from FFMastermind.com​
    Miami Dolphins DE Phillip Merling is on thin ice with the team heading into training camp. According to PFW, the Dolphins' staff was unhappy with Merling even before he was arrested for aggravated battery earlier this offseason, and he didn't help himself with that incident. Merling could face a suspension for violating the league's personal-conduct policy because of his involvement in a domestic dispute with his pregnant girlfriend. A former first-round pick who was expected to be a starter, Merling was easily beat out for a starting job by DE Randy Starks last year.

:confused2:

Bpk, dolfan7171, gunn34 and 7 others like this.
  2. The Rev

The Rev Totus Tuus Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box Club Member

The selection of Odrick is making more sense everyday.

Onehondo, Bpk, GreenMonster and 8 others like this.
  3. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    i know it was a technicality. but merling was not a 1st round pick.

and i dont think it is a surprise our team is unhappy with him

DolfanJake likes this.
  4. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    We should all be tickled pink with the great talent that we got during the off season on both lines (I know I am). Odrick will probably put so much pressure on QB's we will forget all about missing JT. Man alive, I am tired of talking about the cake mix - I wanna see the cake! Is it September 12th yet?

:wink2: !! - I CAN'T WAIT TO START THIS SEASON - !! :wink2:

5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Imho Merling needs a tall can of "grow the hell up".

I doubt they trade him as even in Dallas they dealt with underachievers, however if Odrick flashes something in TC Merling will have a good view of the field from the sidelines.

6. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    Dude, you are a major news hound! Where do you find this stuff?

cobrajet likes this.
  7. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I think we can file this one under the "no crap" section....

SICK likes this.
  8. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    I wonder at what position Starks beat him out at? DE or NT? ...and if he is suspended that will make two DL players we have lost even before the season starts! Ouch! It seems like it's always something.... :cry:

Bpk likes this.
  9. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    "Merling could face a suspension for violating the league's personal-conduct policy because of his involvement in a domestic dispute with his pregnant girlfriend."

Ya', great. Way to go NFL. The Patriots cheated their way to four superbowls stealing millions of dollars of revenue away from other teams and nothing happens to them, but by all means lets suspend Merling and Ferguson. DUUUUH!

Maybe there is something to the talk of football being fixed after all. Of course this "Dolphin-Punishment" couldn't be because the new Commissioner of Football is a Western New York native and grew up in "Bills Country" could it?

DolfanJake and cobrajet like this.
  10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Defensive end.

11. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Fat and stupid is no way to go thru life son.

12. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Soliai may make this team by default.

Bpk likes this.
  13. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    That made me LOL!

He was going to make it either way IMO.

14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

Come on man, Merling slapped around his pregnant GF, what should they do nominate him for Man of the Year?

He is going to get whacked, so is McDaniel, whom people also forget had a domestic squabble, a less serious one, but still, Sheriff Goodell is going to use the pimp hand on them both...unless they manage to find a divergence program.

15. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    I'd like to believe that we are not being picked on but sometimes it sure seems like we are. I am still concerned about FS and to a lesser extent NT, but still we are building one of the most talented teams in the league. In any case, being picked on or not won't matter when we beat them 50-0 in a few weeks. It's not who laughs that matters - it's who laughs last that counts. :yes:

16. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Im almost certain Merling was a 2nd round pick.

17. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

It's not a technicality. He wasn't a first round pick, by round, or apparently by the way he conducts himself off the field. :hi5: . (in other words I agree with you).

18. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
  19. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    the reason its a technicality is that was the draft where new england got a draft pick taken away for cheating.....so merling was 32nd overall pick. meaning in a normal draft would be the last pick in the 1st round. but he was 1st overall 2nd round because new england forfeited a pick :up:

20. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    Great catch. I totally forgot about that! :pointlol:

21. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Ahhhhh, thanks :ffic:[​IMG]

22. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Well if he really wants to turn things around, he could start with a better hair cut

[​IMG]

23. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    he can also start playing better

24. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    I just think the hair cut is an easier fix

DolfanJake, late again and Boik14 like this.
  25. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, we've all seen him in DC Pasqualoni's Defense, perhaps the switch to Nolan's more attacking style of Dline scheme will be to his benefit?

And keep in mind Starks was in hot water last yr, heading into TC and he had the best yr of his career by far, Merling has to have noticed the way to save one's bacon is to play better..just like Randy Starks did...

Boik14, Pandarilla and Disnardo like this.
  26. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Right defensive end.

27. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Or, just not smoking a doobie before pictures. If that was more obvious, he might as well have had it in his mouth. He looks stoned as a mother****er in that pic.

28. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    [​IMG]

29. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    He's a second round pick. I guess this confirms that the media can't count.

As for Merling's status, is anyone really surprised?

30. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida

31. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    They are probably disappointed in him, but I don't think he's in alot of danger of being cut unless someone steps up this offseason. He's not great, but he's too valuable for depth and I don't see Tony McDaniel being able to be the guy.

Anonymous likes this.
  32. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Almost right. The $500,000 fine was directly to Belichick, not the Patriots organization. The Pats lost their first round pick that year, which turned out to be the #31 overall pick. (But they kept whatever picks they acquired in trades, which is where Jerod Mayo came from.) So the Giants, who had the #32 overall pick that year, actually made the 31st selection in that draft, ending the first round. Then we opened the 2nd round with the #33 pick, which due to the Patriots' forfeiture meant that Merling was actually the 32nd player selected that year. So Merling is a 2nd round pick despite being the 32nd player selected.

You can bet his agent tried to use that as leverage in contract negotiations.

33. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Well I hope we're unhappy with him. Aside from a handfull of plays, Merling has been pretty much invisible I'd say. What a disappointment.

Bpk likes this.
  34. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    Miami has been unhappy with his play since day one.

They drafted a guy to take his place in the 1st round.Where have some of you been?

DolfanJake likes this.
  35. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Well, then again, the Patriots spent a 2nd round pick on the late Marquis Hill after they already had Richard Seymour, Ty Warren, and Jarvis Green all under contract.

Merling isn't that bad. He'd start on some teams in the league, and we're not really asking him to start.

Anonymous likes this.
  36. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I dont know, his play can pretty much only get better. His hair is always gonna be ugly because, well, look at him...he's got the face of a pit bull minus the drool. :tongue2:

DolfanJake likes this.
  37. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    I know you are right but in comparison to what they got away with that was really a little slap on the wrist I think. I think Ferguson and Merling will end up suffering more than Bellacheat did. It really should be the other way around. It's just NFL rule enforcement craziness. Some teams always seem to get nit-picked to death while others seem to have a free ride card. I have seen so many examples of this over the years and it is really getting tiring.

38. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    Oh, no. This has turned into an all you can eat character assassination. Remember, he can still help us win and turn things around. I think we should cheer him on!

39. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Merling had better step it up big time this TC and season or he's a goner. We don't need him that bad if Odrick turns out the way we hope, and Misi too. Soliai needs to step it up too although he's not as close to the chopping block as Merling is. Merling is starting to be in the classification of "bust" IMHO.

40. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    "I guess this confirms that the media can't count."

Aint that the truth. I wonder sometimes if 1/2 of the stuff out there is true or not. Hell, that might not even be his really photo, ya just never know what to believe now-a-days.

All I know is this; these guys had better grow up and focus their lives on football and not getting into trouble. I am sure none of this is setting well with the coaches, but times are different today, Shula would have run them until their nuts fell off. There are times when the evolution of football can be a softer one.