1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins trade for Bryant Mckinnie

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by shaunm000, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    The reason he gets fired is because the team's record effecting public sentiment. The biggest effect on a team's record is QB play. Its not a knock on Tannehill as much as it is that Russell Wilson is already one of the elite QBs in the NFL, IMO.

2. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Agreed, and if Russell Wilson was drafted before Miami's pick, the criticism wouldn't be valid. There are a lot of teams that failed by passing on Wilson. Look at what the Rams have become.

Certainly nobody is saying that the team should have drafted Andrew Luck. But Russell Wilson was available to Miami, and they chose Ryan Tannehill instead.

Either way, your logic is really just as valid for Eugene Monroe, if not more. Monroe wasn't even necessarily known to be available, and it appears that Jacksonville even took less because they have interest in a working relationship with Baltimore.

3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Yes.

First off I don't think Eugene Monroe is just "average". He's already been a bright spot on the Ravens OL since being acquired. Second, it's a pretty clear example of not just getting evaluations wrong (which happens all the time in that business) but actually an example of just pure negligence.

4. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm one of the few people who gets to claim he was a heavy Russell Wilson backer to the point where I'd have been willing to take him in the 2nd round, but even I'm not about to use that against them here.

Personnel people have always gotten evaluations wrong and will always get evaluations wrong. You can't just isolate individual examples of pure evaluation being right or wrong, it has to all be done within a context.

Eugene Monroe was not an evaluation failure. It was a negligence failure. Had the Dolphins traded for him, it might put us in the playoffs. At present, I'm pretty sure we'll miss the playoffs. So yeah, it's important. It's hard enough getting the evaluations correct a good percentage of the time without working against yourself with negligence, bad philosophy, bad communication and bad player interactions. I think Ireland's front office has been guilty of all of the above over the years.

5. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I agree with this.

6. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Drafting a QB should warrant a lot greater consider than just "lets evaluate them". Stephen Ross even want as far to say they hired people outside of the organization with the sole purpose of evaluating the QBs. Finding the right QB should be the absolute most important thing for an NFL organization.

7. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I don't see how Monroe even makes it into the top-10 mistakes the organization has made in ercent history.

8. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Just because it's important doesn't make it easy. There are a lot of smart folks that have skirted the line between lucky and good where that is concerned. If a guy was great and you liked him, awesome. But did you have ANYONE ranked above him? Cuz if so you were wrong. I was one of the few that liked Russell Wilson in the 2nd round and said so BEFORE the draft at a time when most projected he would be drafted well into Day 3 (the Seahawks taking him as high as the 3rd was considered a surprise). And if I'd had my way that off season the Dolphins would have signed Matt Flynn as a free agent and then drafted Russell Wilson in the 2nd round. But was Wilson on top of my board at the position? No. I had Luck, Tannehill and Weeden above him. I had him tied with RG3. That means if I'd walked away with Wilson I'd have been lucky, not necessarily good. Being good helps you be lucky, but sometimes being lucky is just being lucky.

Bottom line is this is a comeptition-based league and that's what you're losing sight of when you keep talking about Tannehill versus Wilson going to the top of the list. That was a decision most of the league got wrong. Arguably even the Seahawks got it wrong since there are sources that swear that if Tannehill had fallen to their pick in the 1st round then he'd have gone there. You don't get W's or Super Bowl trophies on absolute bases. You get them by being comparatively better than the rest of the league. It's a closed, competition-based system. That's why bringing up something that everyone in the league got wrong is borderline useless.

SICK likes this.
  9. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Who said it was easy? We are talking about essentially being among the top-15 in the entire world at a certain profession, if not better.

You could make a strong argument that almost every elite team in the NFL got there because of luck. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck, Drew Brees, Russell Wilson...these are the most of the elite teams in the NFL, and you could make the argument that they are on their current teams because of luck.

10. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    To some degree, yes. They're there by luck. Being good helps you make that luck, but luck plays a part in it. That's why I said the evaluations have to be put into a broader context. You're arguing specifically against that. You want specific evaluation examples thrown to the top of the list. I don't believe that's right. I believe instances where you supplement the natural rate at which you're going to get evaluations wrong, via negligence, bad philosophy, bad communication, bad player interactions, etc...those should take precedent, provided the broad pattern of evaluation is not Millen-like.

11. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    No, personally I think its silly for fans to evaluate administrators.

What I said was that if Jeff Ireland, or any other front office personnel is fired, it should be primarily based on their work with the QB position.

12. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

..and what? have him look just like Tannehill behind this crappy line? Quality at Qb isn't the problem with this team right now.

13. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

The Dolphins never had a chance to draft Monroe.

14. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Why are you always the one that finds typos?

15. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Its all he has.

16. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    He's never used them before...

17. isaacjunk

isaacjunk Member

May 17, 2013
    Do you really think Ireland will get fired if we don't make the playoffs? Or is this just wishful thinking :)

18. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS

He and Stitches are in competition. :jt0323:

19. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    If it's a competition, then I should point out to Sick that he forgot an apostrophe in the post you quoted. :tongue2:

cuchulainn likes this.
  20. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I'm sorry, what words were spelled wrong? I never noticed any.

BTW, no soup for you either. :shifty:

21. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Sorry. Its al'l he has,

Fin D likes this.
  22. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    You're probably not getting a Christmas card now...

23. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Ur*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

24. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    You misspelled "They're" :shifty:

25. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Anyone else see where Mckinnie was limited at practice already due to a knee injury?! lmao.

Edit: I havent found anything concrete on this, think it was on PFT.

Double edit:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/24/ryan-tannehill-limited-in-practice-by-shoulder/

26. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    He had his knee drained a couple of times this year, what would one expect him to do in his first day of practice w/o knowing the plays etc.

27. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Just bringing up what was reported.....they said limited due to knee, not limited due to knowledge.

However its PFT so thats about as realiable as a dixie cup and string telephone....

28. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    For me, the Friday walk through matters a heck of alot more, is he a full go or not will determine if he Starts Sunday.

To me, I'd toss him out there and take my chances, 2 sacks and 6 pressures is a high bar of crappy to pass, Martin is not great but better than Clabo, Mckinnie is not great, better than Martin.

29. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
  30. TNphinfan

TNphinfan Always soo close... Club Member

Mar 3, 2010
  31. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    McKinnie is on the official injury report for having been limited in practice Wednesay. They don't list the specific injury this early though.

http://www.nfl.com/injuries?team=MIA

32. CantinaJack

CantinaJack New Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Washington DC
    No wonder his knee is full of fluids, damn thing has to hold up 350+ lbs yo.

I don't think he'll see playing time until the Monday night game.

33. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    They can't reasonably start Clabo this week.

34. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    364 but he does plan on dropping weight clear down to.............................................................355.

35. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Clabo could get a nice break this week. He'll face Rob Ninkovich. That's not that scary for a technician like Clabo.

Well, until the fourth quarter when Clabo is gassed. But then you could just put in the backup.

36. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Like the Dolphins would put in the back up if they don't have to...

37. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I have a sneaky feeling Clabo has his best game of the season if he starts.

Until Bill lines Chandler Jones up on his side and he gets mollywhopped.