1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins top target in FA is...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by byroan, Feb 20, 2013.

1. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    he would be a good fit in the New England system, especially if they let Welker go....

think about it they the middle covered, too much...with Gronk, Hernandez, and Welker.....they don't have a stretch guy, they tried with Lloyd but it failed....wallace would be ideal in that system. BB has a way of making trouble makers stop causing trouble, the only sticking point is that generally NE doesn't pay top dollar...but the recent TE signing have proved otherwise....

He could however take a small discount to play with Brady....

2. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Who doesn't love a good guessing game?

3. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    In fairness to him, Barry Jackson and Armando Salguero have been writing that Wallace is the top target for the past week so it does seem to have some legs.

4. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    It absolutely is a reason, particularly when your system uses focuses on receivers that can play all three receiver positions on the field (X, Z, and H). Mike Wallace cannot do that at this point in his career. Pittsburgh has tried their best to get him to expand his route tree, and he's limited to vertical stretches and speed crosses underneath the coverage.

Paying him $12 million plus to be a vertical threat is foolish. He will never live up to that salary, and if you think he will become a number one guy, you are making the same mistake that Tampa Bay made in the early to mid '90s when they signed Alvin Harper to be their #1 receiver. There is a reason Pittsburgh decided to pay Antonio Brown instead of Mike Wallace. Brown is the better, more complete wide receiver.

Greg Jennings is by far a better wide receiver and a better fit for Miami, but even he comes with a high amount of risk as a free agent with his recent injury issues and his age.

I personally feel Miami shouldn't spend big in free agency, because free agency is fools gold. These big money contracts rarely work out as expected, and Miami would be better off drafting and developing their wide receiver corps the way Green Bay has.

5. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't think it's likely that Omar is correct. I know that I can say that randomly about most any topic and feel confident, but in this case I just don't see the fit. The Packers under Philbin always had WRs that could play all three spots. By using different WRs they give the D a different look even though they're running the same plays. Whether it's Lombardi or Shula or the Pats system, the basic fundamental has always been to run plays perfectly. In the era of FA having fewer plays makes that easier to do. You tweak your system to fit a player's strength, but it doesn't make sense to abandon a fundamental principal to just get a fast guy. I don't believe that Brandon Marshall was traded primarily b/c of the off-field stuff. IMO he was traded b/c of the fit and the contract size. I see the same issues with Wallace.

6. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    It's Phil Dawson, with him they win 2 more games last season :shifty:

finyank13 likes this.
  7. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Yah at this point if we can get Hartline for only a 3 year contract around $5-6 million a year. Do it. Then draft 2 WR's high and another one later. Completely remake and groom guys who fit the system.

8. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Exactly! The Dolphins passing offense is centered around concepts and not around a particular receiver. This is why Brandon Marshall was traded. It is pretty well known that Brandon MUST be the focal point of the passing offense, or he is a problem. They also knew that with a young quarterback, Marshall would have leaned on him and had him force the ball to him to the detriment of the team and the detriment of Ryan's development. Ryan needs to understand the concepts of the passing offense and understand the pace. He needs to know who will be open based on the concept and the coverage before the snap, and the receivers also need to know this and accept the fact that the ball may not be coming their way based on the coverage. This is where Brandon Marshall would have been poison on this team. Imagine Marshall getting only 120 targeted passes through the year. He may have only caught 65 balls or so, and he would have quickly turned on the coaching staff and quarterback for not feeding him the ball.

With Mike Wallace, it simply isn't a fit for two reasons. One, he wants to be paid like a top receiver, which he isn't. If you pay a guy like Mike Wallace the money that he is asking for, you are essentially saying that he is going to be the focal point of your passing offense. He's no more a #1 receiving threat than Brian Hartline is. They have different strengths, but both are complimentary receivers. Hartline is a better fit for Miami because he is more versatile than Wallace. Two, Wallace doesn't run a full route tree and is limited to playing only one of the receiver positions.

9. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    I would also add that it is highly, highly unlikely that the receiving corps is rebuilt in only one year. Green Bay rebuilt their's over a three year period. In 2006, they had Donald Driver and drafted Greg Jennings. They drafted James Jones in 2007, and then drafted Jordy Nelson in 2008. All three were 2nd to 3rd round picks. This is a process. Miami will likely draft one receiver in the 2nd round or so this year, if not the 1st, and they will see what they have with Rishard Matthews and Armon Binns. I would then look for them to address the position in the 2nd or 3rd round next year, and then possibly again the year after that. I know we are all looking for this team to make the moves to become an immediate super bowl contender, but it simply doesn't work that way.

Claymore95, Marco, Paul 13 and 2 others like this.
  10. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Is Bess playing the roll as Driver in this?

11. Joe Robbie

Joe Robbie The Patriarch

Dec 24, 2008
    Miami Gardens
    You're right. They've drafted zero playmakers in 5 years, so the next one would probably be another 5 years from now.

jdang307 likes this.
  12. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Even if Omar is correct it doesn't make Mike Wallace likely to sign in Miami. This front office doesn't exactly have a history with being interested in paying up for players that everyone else in the NFL likes enough to pay well. They do have a history of being "interested" in guys whose price tags are predictably beyond what they're willing to pay.

MAFishFan likes this.
  13. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Well, do keep in mind that it is your opinion that he is the better player. Philbin/Ireland may disagree. And Philbin has seen Jennings up close and personal... so he knows everything there is to know in regards to his abilities, strengths/weaknesses, etc.

Even if they feel that Wallace is the better player, if the gap between the 2 is marginal, I think you go with the better fit for what you are trying to implement regardless of who is better than who. If there was a big gap between the 2 in terms of talent/ability, then you go with the better player obviously. But I don’t believe there is a big gap. I like both WRs, and put them both in the same tier… so IMO, if they are in the same tier as WRs… you go with the one that is the better fit, even if the other one may be a hair better… b/c the difference is negligible.

14. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Look at you, bein all secretive. ;)

15. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    The only thing that has me thinking it may happen is the fact that Barry Jackson and Armando Salguero are reporting the same thing. They are both in bed with Ross and the entire front office.

16. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I know who it is... a receiver that can line up in all three positions, whether you want him to or not...

Titus Young.

:shifty:

17. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm more inclined to bet against Mike Wallace signing with Miami than to bet on him doing so.

I still think Jeff Ireland is going to try to pull off some sort of trade. The three I speculated on in the trade thread were Jeremy Maclin, Nate Washington and Mike Williams (TB). Of the three, I hear the Bucs are surprisingly interested in keeping Williams so that's probably off the table.

18. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I'd be interested in keeping Mike Williams, too, if I had him. And the top targets remaining Maclin/Washington makes sense. Neither have done anything to change their stock; they had good years in 2012.

I think this organization is about to zig when we expect it to zag yet again...

djphinfan likes this.
  19. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Putting my source quality on the line, but I've been told we're looking at signing Ernest Wilford.

20. Phinfanjt

Phinfanjt New Member

Jan 29, 2013
    Buh dum tss

21. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    What positions would that be? Turn to the left, turn to the right, now face forward?

22. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Shhhh! I told you that in confidence!

eltos_lightfoot likes this.
  23. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Really? I kinda thought it leaned more toward overpaying guys to play in Miami.

Dansby
    Smiley
    Grove
    Gerbil Wilson
    Ernest Wilford

24. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I wasn't saying that keeping Mike Williams would be a dumb move. Just atypical of the Buccaneers who already have a 5 year, $55.55 million contract out to Vincent Jackson.

25. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Of them, Dansby was really the only one that was heavily coveted around the NFL in free agency. Overpaying in itself doesn't mean much. We also pulled Richard Marshall on the same amount of money that we gave Grove and Smiley. That didn't make him coveted. In fact Marshall admitted the only other team that was after him were the Cardinals and their offer was way below ours.

26. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Miles Austin also wouldn't be a shock. This front office was reportedly interested in him the year before he broke out.

27. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I've never heard of him causing any trouble. Just sitting out because of a contract. Something the steelers don't like.

finyank13 likes this.
  28. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Signing Mike Wallace would deplorable. Grounds for someone to get fired.

I have a hard time they would honestly be interested in Wallace. My guess is that they'll express interest in Wallace and Bowe, in hopes of driving down the price on Jennings.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  29. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm lukewarm on Wallace, but I think there's an argument he is worth pretty big money because he's able to be so productive without being a "#1" wide receiver. He had his most productive year on 93 targets. He's the kind of guy who could easily be your second or third 1,000 yard guy in a prolific offense.

The issue is how difficult it is to manage him to do it.

30. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I'd be very interested in Mike Williams- good size, pretty good speed, outstanding athlete and more than anything he's a playmaker/touchdown scorer. He signed a 3 year deal originally? 2010 draft pick I thought. I'd be interested in Miles Ausitn as well, if healthy. As to TB, I wonder if Arrelious Benn will be able to turn it on this year.

31. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    That makes sense from a football standpoint but the NFL is also a business. Miami's attendance has been down and the FO has been touting how they have all this cap room. If they don't make a splash in FAs by signing a big name then it will be a PR nightmare. That's why I think Jennings will be the target, he's plug and play in terms of the system and given his age will likely be more receptive to a shorter contract. He solves the PR problem and allows you to groom younger guys along side him.

32. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Maclin's stock should def of gone down a bit. His injury concerns are def growing.

33. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Painfully obvious you can't count on him to stay healthy at this point. He'd be a headache, imo.

34. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Also, former Cowboys player factor.

35. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Yes.

finyank13, schmolioot and djphinfan like this.
  36. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Cruuuuuuuz

ToddPhin likes this.
  37. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Ah, **** off.

Plenty of people know me here.

Check my twitter handle, and see my current title.

You know how I can find out if Mike Wallace is being targeted by the Dolphins?

I'll ask a friend of his on Friday, or call Mike Wallace personally.

Yeah..I can do that. So **** off.

38. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    The bolded is completely untrue. The timeline of events was as follows:
    - Wallace said he wanted a new contract, threatened to hold out
    - Wallace holds out
    - Pittsburgh offered Wallace the same contract they gave to Antonio Brown. Wallace declines that contract
    - Pittsburgh reportedly ups their offer to something just short of 5years/50M
    - Antonio Brown accepts the contract Wallace turned down

So Pittsburgh made two attempts to pay Wallace before they signed Brown. Wallace is clearly the better, more explosive receiver. Brown is merely the beneficiary of Wallace being an elite vertical threat. Whether Wallace fits this offense is a different argument but Wallace was most definitely more important to what Pittsburgh tried to do offensively.

For the record, Todd Haley was also a piss poor OC last year. He made terrible use of Wallace's skillset as his offense isnt really designed to be a vertical one for speedy wr's. His offense is designed for the players that flourished in, guys like Boldin, Fitz and Breaston in Zona who ran a lot of intermediate crosses and who really work the middle of the field more then Mike Wallace does.

Wallace can absolutely work in this offense as a Flanker (Bess's spot). The problem will be if we try and utilize him as a Split End (Hartline's spot). We need size at Split End that Wallace doesnt really provide. Under optimal conditions Wallace would be paired with a red zone player like Bowe who can use his body in tight areas to create separation. Still Wallace provides a big play element we havent had since The Marks Brothers.

MrClean likes this.
  39. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Actually Section has been right on at least half a dozen things before they happened that I can recall, not the least of which was he Miami Heats big 3 forming longgggg before free agency started. And it wasnt just guesses.

Its a message board so you can take things for what theyre worth but if Section says he knows something theres a reasonable chance he does.

40. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    for the record...my record on news on this site is ****ing outstanding.

For a while..some jackass from the Sentinel was reading my posts and transcribing them in the paper.

Then just last year, ****ing Armando ripped me off on the Jason Taylor story. Just a coincidence I am sure that his story sounded like my report, that I put in here 2 weeks earlier.

Ludacris and gunn34 like this.