1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins Top Pick Not a QB/Trying to Guess Miami's Draft Plan

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Galant, Nov 12, 2019.

1. tirty8

tirty8 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2016
    I think one thing that harbors a lot of confusion on this board is the difference between a player and a plan. When your plan becomes a player, desperation sets in. This is how we enter the 2020 draft with a boatload of draft picks and walk away with one or two players.

A plan has to be fluid. Now is the time to be rational. Figure out who our #1 QB prospect is right now. Figure out the absolute most you would be willing to give up in terms of draft capital for that player. The same methodology holds true for all of the QBs. This has nothing to do with how many spaces we are moving up to get said QB. This has everything to do with the QB itself. The next step is to begin inquiring with the first, second, and third picks of the draft. If talks are within the parameters of our maximum value for each QB, we go down this path. However, if it looks like teams are trying to exploit us, we have to be willing to walk away.

I keep thinking to myself how bad our defense is in terms of talent and how much Flo has gotten out of them in terms of production lately. Could you guys imagine how our defense would be with elite talent on it? I know Flo would be absolutely ecstatic to have Young on his roster. Really part of this fluid plan may be thinking about QBs vs. elite talent. If we don't see the value at QB, why not build in other places? Could you imagine having a defense like the Ravens? Ooooh!

If we are looking at second tier QBs, there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a flier. That is why we have so many picks, but even that requires us to be shrewd. We should be comparing all of our QBs vs. Rosen. Mando wrote an article this week about how Fitzmagic has really helped Rosen become a professional, and he is putting in the effort. As crazy as it is, I would have our scouting department scout Rosen, and tell me where they think he ranks vs. available QBs. Part of having a fluid plan is being open to style types. I don't think we should be married to any particular style. Find a QB that we think that has exceptional traits that we can build around.

In summation, we need to be willing to be fluid. We need to be open to moving up to grab a QB with our first pick, but we also need to be open to walking away from a deal. And finally, we need to be open to not using our pick on a QB at all.

hitman8, Puka-head, resnor and 3 others like this.
  2. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Unless we get the first pick, looks like we will be going defense or non-QB after Tua’s injury. Would love to see Young, Wirfs with our 2nd pick and then take Hurts or Tua with our last pick in the 1st round.

Then find a RB or defensive players in the 2nd round.

resnor likes this.
  3. jdallen1222

jdallen1222 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Plantation, Fl
    What’s the knock on Fromm? Auburn is making him look good tonight.

4. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    That pretty much kills any QB we would have a shot at with our early 1st. I held out some hope Tua would go to the bengals and Burrow would fall to us. There's no other QB I would take in round 1.

5. Dolphin Dundee

Dolphin Dundee Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2015
    Hurts stinking it up tonight..

6. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Fromme has been tearing it up the last few weeks. I wouldn't mind drafting him if we traded down to 10 or 15

7. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Fromme is a game manger.Probally 2nd round pick.

texanphinatic likes this.
  8. hitman8

hitman8 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    That is
    That is relative. If you have two players who are roughly equally good but one of them fits your system better then obviously you go with the system fit. In this case we were arguing for drafting love because he is an athletic type QB to fit a certain scheme we have in mind instead of targeting the actual better QBs in the draft which are Burrow and Tua. We made the same mistake in recent drafts for example drafting charles harris instead of t.j. watt because harris was supposedly a better "scheme fit", or drafting gesicki instead of mark andrews because we were too focused on drafting a seam threat tight end to fit gase's scheme instead of drafting the better overall tight end which is andrews.

I am a big proponent of having flexible schemes to take advantage of your players strengths instead of having rigid schemes that need very specific type players to be successfull. This way you can concentrate on getting the best overall football players available instead of looking for some specialized players.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  9. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Well I do agree you have to be flexible, but not to the point that you have no identity. Shula and Marino for example, Shula was still a hard nose run the ball dominant defensive head coach even after he drafted Marino but was indeed flexible enough that after what he saw Marino could do, Miami’s offensive scheme switched instantly to a passing game. He saw WHAT Marino could do after relieving Woodley and adjusted accordingly.
    The main difference right now between Flores and Shula is that Shula was already an established winner and that identity was formed. Flores is in his first year rebuilding and that identity hasn’t truly been established.

We’re just going to have to wait and see what philosophy he establishes, see if it is indeed successful and see if the organization as a whole can adjust accordingly to build a successful team

10. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Hurts played great in the end.. he did what Brady did against the Falcons

11. Dolphin Dundee

Dolphin Dundee Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2015
    Yeah he didn't look good for 3 qtrs i believe he had 3 turnovers. But he did pull it out at the end against an undefeated team. He's huge! reminds me of Newton with more hustle. I wouldn't mind him as a second rd pick that we got back for Rosen if he's available.

12. hitman8

hitman8 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Shula was an example of scheme flexibility. He switched from a run heavy offense to a pass heavy offense to fit the strengths of his QB. If he went into that draft looking for scheme fit instead of BPA he would have probably not drafted Marino.

13. tirty8

tirty8 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2016
    As crazy as this sounds, I think that we need to start opening up our minds to Chase Young.

14. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    I'm not opposed to it. At this point if we feel as though Burrow is a reach and Tua isn't worth the risk, then Young should be the obvious choice.

15. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    It is really way too early to be speculating on this stuff. Better to wait until we get near the end of the season.

16. jdallen1222

jdallen1222 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Plantation, Fl
    Nothing to lose by throwing a bunch of crap on the wall and seeing what sticks. The winner gets to puff their chest in April.