1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins Thin at NT via "Palm Beach Post"

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by cobrajet, Jul 16, 2010.

1. cobrajet

cobrajet Mr. Ross - sell the team!

Jan 12, 2010

-- Dolphins Thin at NT --
    Fri Jul 16, 2010 --from FFMastermind.com

The Palm Beach Post reports Miami NT Jason Ferguson's retirement leaves the Dolphins a bit thin at nose tackle, with NT Randy Starks, NT Paul Soliai and undrafted rookie NT Travis Ivey as the top three on the depth chart. Starks, who stands 6-foot-3 and 305-pounds, is a converted defensive end and is considered undersized at nose tackle while Soliai has not recorded a sack in his first three NFL seasons, and at 355 pounds has struggled with weight issues throughout his career. Soliai may not have made the team out of training camp, but Ferguson's retirement may have solidified his roster spot. "I am still in shock that he will not be sitting next to me in team meetings and practicing with us when camp opens," Soliai said in a statement posted on his agent's website. "He has been like a big brother to me and has taught me how to be a professional and become a better man. He will be tremendously missed this coming season."

2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    IMO they forgot about Tony McDaniel. If I remember correctly, he played some one technique. Jared Odrick has also played 1 technique at PSU from what I remember. Not saying he will play at NT, though I do think its possible that this coaching staff does get him out there at nose at times.

JimToss and dolfan7171 like this.
  3. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    After this year Odrick jerseys will be flying off shelves all over Miami. This kid is pure talent. I'm thrilled he's on our side.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  4. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Odrick is going to be great.

cobrajet likes this.
  5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    The best thing that could happen during this Training Camp is Paul Soliai finally coming into his own at NT.

late again, Larryfinfan and gafinfan like this.
  6. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Oh if only . . . wouldn't that be nice?

7. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    I am surprised Randy Starks is that light. He only weighs 305 lbs and that is pretty skinny for a NT.

Vince Wilfork (Patriots) is 6-2 325 lbs. Soliai is 6'-4" 344 lbs and Travis Ivey is 6'-4" 325 lbs. That's a lotta beef

cobrajet likes this.
  8. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    has not recorded a sack? That is an interesting thing to point out for a NT

9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    We;d be stacked at the DE position..Starks, Langford, Odrick, Merling.

cobrajet likes this.
  10. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    I wonder what they have up their sleeve? Either the front office got blindsided by the sudden retirement of Ferguson or they have been working on another angle and the retirement didn't matter to them because of it. There seems to be an awful lot of DL lingering around. I wonder what this Travis Ivey kid is about?

11. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Let it go Cobrajet...It's Chinatown.

12. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I'll throw it out there that he sees time at the nose by the end of the year. I bet they flop Starks and Odrick and play games along the line. Just like Holliday in Denver last year.

alen1 likes this.
  13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, the thing is, you could do the same with Langford and maybe Merling.

Denver's Dline in 09 was similar to our Oline in 08, just bits and pieces mashed together from the scrap heap, Odrick/Starks/Merling/Langford are a completely different animal than what Nolan worked with in Denver.

THAT increased level of talent is why more 4-3 or some variation is in the works imho, toss in Wake playing the 5, and clearly the strength on Defense is in the Dline.

14. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    Another brilliant observation by Obvious man and Captain Duhhrrrr.

15. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Why would the front office even take Fergunson into account? At best he was a back up plan if something went wrong mid season. For instance if Starks or Soliai got hurt. Then they would have someone who can just fit into their defense.

Larryfinfan likes this.
  16. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    I really don't have the answer for that one. I know that Parcells and Ferguson are very tight and they both came over from the Cowboys. I read somewhere that Parcells considered Ferguson to be the ideal NT and mentor for the position. Ferguson spent many hours mentoring Soliai. Beyond all that I think Ferguson was cheap insurance for this team because he would play a solid game guaranteed and would not do anything stupid. He also was very good run stopper and was working with the others to be the same. I think he was more to this team than just an old player on the way out, because of that, the impact will be greater than most people think.

17. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Yet he is missing 8 games. If he wasn't missing any games, I would agree with you. With missing 8 games, he is just an insurance policy. His retirement honestly means nothing to me.

If there is an injury Miami is not in as good as a position.

late again likes this.
  18. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    Seems to me that there is a lot of corporate forgetfulness going on in the media. Does anyone have any idea how many rookies, 2nd, and 3rd year players have come in and really become a force at nose tackle? I think the results would be rather thin.. most of these big guys seem to materialize as forces in the defense at somewhere around 4-5-6 years, and then play for 7-10 years at a fairly high level. I think (hope) that the troika knows this and is giving Soliai time to learn the craft of absorbing hits, taking on two blockers and holding ground, and countering the 'dirty' tricks associated with interior line play. It takes time for these things to become 'intuitive' as what is really happening is called 'experience.' Let's hope that Soliai is becoming experienced.

Are you experienced?? (Cue Jimi)
    [​IMG]

Larryfinfan likes this.
  19. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I still hold out hope that Soliai comes into his own as a NT, but moving Starks and adding Nolan as DC seems to preclude that as the focal point of the D. It's just not in Nolan's DNA to have or need a dominant NT. I'm not as disappointed in Soliai's development as a NT, but am disappointed in his lack of maturity as a pro. I see those as two separate entities. I've long said that I feel it takes 6-9 years for a dominant NT to develop in the 3-4, so Soliai not developing as quickly as some expect isn't a shock to me. However, his inability to stay consistently focused on being a better pro...things like controlling his weight in the offseason, late to meetings, etc that have plagued him throughout his career are disheartening.

That said, we have a wealth of DEs on the squad right now. There just isn't much of a difference in talent between Starks, Langford, Merling, Odrick, even McDaniels. Soliai and Ivey are both guys that you want to see more from, but I'm not really saying that in a negative light, just a developmental light. Starks being moved may have simply justified them taking Odrick over a NT, although he was clearly the best option at the time they drafted with Williams being gone. Starks can slide inside, but the clearly the scheme will have to be adjusted for not having a dominant NT in place (with Fergy gone and Soliai and Ivey still getting there). I think adding Nolan really allows the Troika to do that, moreso than any other moves made (drafting Odrick, Starks to NT).

Either way, I think the D's philosophy will shift a little more towards the Phillips version of the 3-4 than the Tuna's version... Really, doesn't Starks remind you more of Jay Ratliffe than Jason Ferguson ??

20. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    It is time for "out with the old and in with the new". This is Soliai's big chance to show the world that he is all that we expect and more, and I hope he does that very thing. As a player Ferguson didn't mean much this year but he was one hell of a mentor, but that's over with now, and its time to move on.

21. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Soliai is also a free agent next year. So I expect to see his best this year.