1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins targeting Antonio Bryant

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Finatic8480, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Finatic8480

Finatic8480 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Miami
  2. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    I hope we get him we need a WR badly and he want to play for us.

3. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Not really a fan of this guy, but what ever. Sure it's better than Ginn but the guy is inconsistent and has a tendency to disappear for huge stretches. Oh well. Won't be much of an upgrade in my opinion, he's another #2 guy in a team filled with borderline #2's. We still need a #1.

MrEd and flynryan151 like this.
  4. Kippyia1354

Kippyia1354 New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    NO to Bryant!

I am not sold on Antonio Bryant, he's like a roller coaster, he has a good year then for the most of his career.... mediocre years. He also is injury prone,so I'd like them to pass on him! Just my humble opionion.

5. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Yeah I don't want him here either. I want a real threat at wide receiver, not just some guy that will make the occasional big play or one handed catches. He's very inconsistent. He's not the long term answer in my opinion at WR. Just a band aid till we find ourselves a real star. He will be this year's Gibril Wilson when everything goes bad, the Dolphins' fans punching bag.

6. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    CC V2.0 IMO. Not really interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. DearbornDolfan

DearbornDolfan Active Member

Mar 7, 2009
    The guy is just speculating and it comes across as rather drunken.

8. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    He's not, there's been quite a bit of news involved. I for one would be very happy with Bryant and Derrick Mason as affordable two year solutions.

Anonymous likes this.
  9. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Antonio Bryant will be a good pickup. He will hold down the #1 spot until next year. Also, I can see Ginn thriving as our number 2 receiver.

zachblitz54 likes this.
  10. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    "Seemed to be targeting" is not "is targeting."

This isn't confirmation of anything. Greg Cote is pulling column fodder out of his rear end in yet another poor attempt to be humorous.

11. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Its not a bad idea for a stop gap measure but its certainly not a fix long term. Somewhere we are going to have to part with a top draft pick or pony up a big contract for a number one.

zachblitz54 likes this.
  12. DearbornDolfan

DearbornDolfan Active Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Do we really want another Chris Chambers? Really?

13. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Chris Chambers years here was light years ahead of what we had last year.

As if yall wouldn't take 900 yards 8-10 Tds. With QBs most all of you would consider less than Chad henne????

14. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Oh boy, we have a first hand selection of second hand WR's to pin our hopes on

Somebody pinch me

15. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, here is where things become interesting, Irish cut Wilson, Akin A and Porter to free up cash to sign Dansby...

"But" Dansby's signing bonus was in the area of 18 to 22 million dollars, but cutting Akin A JP, and Wilson created a 30 million dollar savings.

Does that 8 million in additional cash get used to bring in a Wr?

Looking at it that way, what would it take to bring A Bryant or Chambers into Miami?

I've said I suspect the market for Bryant will be a bit slim, the Bengals just purged L Coles to free up some cash and they are the most likely competitiors for Bryant's services...I have not heard a single rumor about Chris Chambers landing spot, but I'd think a 3 yr, 18 million/5 millie signing bonus deal would fly better for Chambers than with Bryant.

16. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Bryant is definitely an enigmatic guy, capable of some heavy highs and lows. The key here I think is that on the Phins hed finally be playing for a team on the rise, with a strong coaching staff and locker room.

Frankly, anyone clamoring for Marshall should have no qualms about Bryant. Does Bryant have the talent of Marshall? Not quite, but nor will he cost as much, he wont cost a draft pick, and hes got less baggage.

Id be willing to bet we could coax some big seasons from Antonio. It would also allow us to focus on getting a TE and some defense in the draft.

Anonymous, PhinsRock and Vaark like this.
  17. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

We've also heard our FO has yet to contact Bryant.

I think you nailed it re Cote. He seldom impresses me with what he writes, so I shouldn't be surprised with this.

18. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Bengals bear watching - Palmer was making noise about wanting TO as well. Josh Reed was reportedly getting looked at by the Pats.

I think that would have to put us as front runners for someone, with likely Bryant and Mason heading the list.

19. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I'm not buying the Derrick Mason rumors, we've watched these guys for 3yrs now and 36yr old Wr's just never are on the menu.

It is also somewhat common knowledge that Parcell's and Bryant have patched things up, but what we can offer Bryant is more than likely not as much as what the Bengals can offer him.

Josh Reed has been a shockingly unproductive Wr in Buffalo.

20. SuperMarksBros

SuperMarksBros New Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Top flight WRs are usually not found in FA but must be drafted, unless they come with ALOT of baggage, or in Boldin's case are injury prone

NorFlaFin likes this.
  21. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Wow. What a tremendous opportunity for T.O. to redeem his entire career, a la Ricky Williams. All he has to do to get started is call the Tuna and beg forgiveness and another chance. Then he can call a monster press conference and announce to the world that he's not a diva anymore.

22. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Sparano and Ireland had the joy of dealing with TO's presence in Dallas as well cdz..

To me, TO's natural fit would be in Chicago, Lovie Smith is on the bubble and he knows it, ditto Carolina, but the Panthers just aren't big spenders

23. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Sorry, Padre; I stand corrected. All he has to do is call the Tuna AND Ireland AND Sparano... :lol:

padre31 likes this.
  24. houtz

houtz New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Looks like everyone is still stuck on the whole Parcells thing in Dallas which has been squashed between the two of them. If that never happened what other "baggage" comes with Bryant?

We say he has one good year and then a bad, one good year and then a bad.... how's that any difference then Chad Pennington? Alright I know Chad Pennington is a phenomenal "leader" but Antonio Bryant when healthy has the tools to be one of the NFL's elite WRs. We all saw what he did with Tampa Bay in 08.

I think for the price it would take to get him here I'd be all for giving him a 1 or 2 year contract. Make it incentive based and let's see this guy produce. Tampa Bay didn't get rid of him because of his "baggage" they got rid of him because of the financial troubles the team is currently going through.

Bring in Bryant.

25. zachblitz54

zachblitz54 Juck The Fets

Dec 9, 2007
    Yeah, at this point, beggers can't be choosey. There isn't much else available without giving up any draft picks. We CAN NOT go into next season with the same WR talent and the draft is no guarantee.

texanphinatic likes this.
  26. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Understatement of epic proportions.

27. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Now hang on there, Bryant's best yr is Marshall's average yr, so there is some basis for comparison..:lol:

PSG likes this.
  28. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Right.:lol:
    I stand by my original post.

OT: I'm very excitied to have someone on this board who will talk CFL with me. It's a good league and very under-appreciated. Not to mention a great time-filler until the NFL starts.

padre31 likes this.
  29. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Active Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    chambers, t.o. , bryant who cares. either way its not the guy we were hoping for. i just coldnt take all the parcells/t.o. media hype, it would take away from the team and us. way too much of a distraction. t.o has definetly toned down and parcells probably would rarely see or talk to him. the media still wouldnt let it go.

is vincent jackson still an option or did him and SD square up?

30. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I hate to say it, but of those 3 only TO does anything to address what we really need at WR.
    And I can't stand the guy.

cdz12250 likes this.
  31. Vaark

Vaark Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium

Mar 26, 2008
    Yeah, as far as Mason's concerned, why not then just resurrect Terry Glenn who happens to be 6mos younger? Both ridiculous propositions IMO.

I'm comfortable with Bryant so long as we don't back up the Brinks truck for him. Like to see him taller than 6-1 and younger than just turning 29, but in 2 of the last 4-years when he's played a full 16-game season he's averaged about 1125yds/yr and had 11 TDs. And considering that he had Dilfer, Fry, Garcia and Griese throwing to him, that's not too shabby.

There are some major question marks that IMO, a reasonable contract could overcome, such as: Can he get along with Nolan after conflicting with him in SF? Has he truly buried the hatchet with The Tuna? Can he stay healthy a full season? and to me most critically: Is he another drug violation away from a long suspension???

Tin Indian likes this.
  32. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    My concern with him is his health, lingering injuries in skill position players are a semi red flag for me. I think the beef with Mike Nolan is not really important, though surely Nolan will give a frank assessment of his time with Bryant, that could tilt the Phins away from him unless he comes very cheaply.

For sure, the thing of it is, CFL fan boards for the most part are underutilized, Ecamp starts this upcoming weekend and there is no buzz about it, which sort of surprises me a bit.

Heck, one can literally chat with the CFL Commissioner, or a top 5 prospect, directly, no special event just tweet a question and chances are good you'll get a reply, that is unheard of in the NFL.

My downside is streaming games can be tough to find, and being a BC fan, until they play on the East Coast it is just too late in the evening to watch the games..that 3hr difference is a killer.

Hop unto the CFL thread pigskinguy, to me Winnipeg is underappreciate heading into 2010, they have most of what it takes to be a good team, Qb,Rb,De,Wr, not sure about their LT though.

If we can muster up 4 or 5 CFL fans, and we have three, in me, you and Dolfan22, we can get a really good thread going on the 2010 CFL season.

116 days to opening kickoff.

PSG likes this.
  33. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    For the record, I would rather have TO come to the Phins than Bryant.
    And there aren't many that dislike Turdell as much as I do.

cdz12250 likes this.
  34. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Well TO is better and bigger than Bryant. My issue with TO is not the drama that he brings, but the dropped balls he will undoubtedly bring. Like we don't have enough if that already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35. rent this space

rent this space New Member

Mar 6, 2010
    TO is the reason Parcells left Dallas, it's just not happening here. Bryant had trouble with BP and Nolan so I doubt they want him either. the other guys are old and imo, not an upgrade. I would much rather see them get a TE that can catch and run.

36. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Before Ferguson got suspended for 8 eight games I was in favor of just drafting a receiver in the second. But Ferguson's suspension has changed that dynamic and made NT an even bigger priority than it was. Of all the choices out there, and there aren't many, Bryant makes the most sense.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  37. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Smells like Wilford all over again. Might as well sign Derek Hagan.

38. bbqpitlover

bbqpitlover Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Maine
    We can't do an better than Antonio Bryant ? Give me a break I think we need to be more aggressive finding a number one receiver. But I can already tell this issue will not be addressed again so Miami will go into it's 4th year without a true number one receiver.
    Isn't Bryant a former Mike Nolan guy ?

39. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    April 1st, 2010

cdz12250 likes this.
  40. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    But, there are much better NT choices than WR choices :up: