1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins' Soliai must prove worth with Starks' switch

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan7171, Jul 13, 2010.

1. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...soliai-dolphins-0713-20100712,0,2410842.story

Here is another article on the nose tackle position...

How do you think he will do this season??

Ohio Fanatic, gafinfan and cobrajet like this.
  2. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    If he was smarter, he'd change his diet too. He could be great. Suck it up, hunker down, hire a nutritionist etc., and become great. Does he understand how much money he'd make?

gafinfan and dolfan7171 like this.
  3. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    I think he's great as a backup rotation NT, but when he gets winded, man does it show.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  4. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    No doubt he needs to get in shape. Hopefully he does it and fast.

5. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Come on man!!!!! Do it right!!!!

gafinfan and dolfan7171 like this.
  6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    The Staff had to assign someone to baby sit him last yr, he had a bad habit of sleeping late.

7. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

He needs to spend some time - lots of it - with a personal trainer and dietitian. Lets see how badly he wants this. Time for Soliai to step up and do more than talk the talk.

gafinfan likes this.
  8. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I agree he needs to lose weight, but I also think Soliai's problem has more to do with technique than weight/conditioning. Even the best NT's get winded and need a blow after 6-9 plays.

What concerns me is that he is slow to read blocks, diagnose plays and react to whats going on around him. Soliai is a beast strength wise, and when he wants to get to a spot, he normally gets there. He just doesnt know where he's going. Opposing teams dont double him nearly as much as they do Ferg, and he lets them get away with it. When he is doubled he does OK holding his ground, but his technique is bad and he gets called for holding way too much. His pass rushing needs work also. He'll get a decent initial surge, but he gets too high and allows the lineman to get under him, anchor, and hold his ground. If he learns to stay low, or better yet, a rip/swim move to go along with his bull rush, he'll be able to get consistent penetration and help set the tables for our edge rushers.

In his defense, the guy played hurt (ankle) for a good stretch late in the year. I first noticed in the first Pats game, he couldnt put any weight on it and was begging to be pulled out of the game. Ditto in Buffalo, Hantgartner (sp?) was bulldozing him all over the place until he was pulled for Ryan Baker. My hope is that he'll stay healthy and continue to pick up the nuances of the position. Most NTs dont come into thier own until after 5 seasons and this is his 4th so he's entering sink or swim mode these next couple of years.

PhinsRock and dolfan7171 like this.
  9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, with Big Ferg retired, Soliai and Ryan Baker have opportunity in front of them, even UDFa Travis Ivey is in the mix.

I'd like to see Soliai split out at DE on occasion.

Bpk and dolfan7171 like this.
  10. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Great idea, lets put him over Matt Light and get some revenge on the Patsies :up:.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, the thing with Big Paul is, he is basically a movement player, not so much a sand in his bucket/stay at home type, at DE his skills would come out a bit more.

At least part time/on occasion, as I recall Soliai even dropped back into coverage over the middle on occasion.

Bpk likes this.
  12. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Yep. He got called for holding on Chris Johnson. It was a B.S. call though.

13. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    he could be a decent backup

14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, I loved the idea, Soliai on CJ though..:no:

That is how versatile he can be though, not Ngataish, but the talent is in there.

Problem with Paul S is he could be one of those folks who once they think they've made it, they stop trying as hard.

I really like Ryan Baker's game, but of the two, if both were cut today, Soliai would have a job much much more quickly. 16 teams running the 3-4, backup NT's with some starting experience and 6'3 345 and 25yrs old do not grow on trees.

15. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I agree on Soliai, I've gotta watch more of Baker though. I tend to watch other players when he's in the game :lol:.

I like the combo we have @ NT. Starks as the penetrator/disruptor. Soliai the space eater. What I really like is the versatility and depth, especially if Baker makes the 53. We'll have 4 guys who could play nose (Starks, Soliai, Baker, McDaniel), and 6 who can play end (Starks, Langford, Merling, Odrick, McDaniel, Baker). No stars in that group, but theyre decent and none should have to play more than 40 or so snaps. Less wear and tear matters over the course of a game/season, so even if Ferg doesnt come back, we stand to be in good shape.

16. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I think the fact that he let himself get up to 366 pds speaks volumes about how NOT ready he is to become the best player he can be. After the suspension and the issues just last season, if the drive to become an elite player was there, there would have been no way he let himself go....again.

That said, as to him becoming a good NT, it does take time and it does not surprise me that he's not there yet. Look at all the elite NTs over the years. Big Sammy Adams, Keith Traylor, Fergy, Ted Washington, Tony Siragusa, etc...they all achieved that 'elite' NT status late in their careers, after at least their 7th yr or so. Even today's guys, like Ngata, and Wilfork, they are very good (certainly better than Soliai good), but not elite as of yet or at least not recognized in the same breaths as those other guys I mentioned....Even a guy like Jamal Williams wasn't considered 'elite' until about 4 yrs ago, his 9th. JMHO, but it takes 6-8 yrs to become that run stuffing, take up two or more OL type NT in this league...

Puka-head, HULKFish and Trackstar like this.
  17. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    They also (except Ferg) achieved it at 360+ lbs :up:. So weight isn't as big an issue for me as it seems to be for the coaching staff.