1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins Sign C Al Johnson

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by FinSane, Nov 29, 2008.

1. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Dolphins sign center Al Johnson -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Fin Fan In Cali and cnc66 like this.
  2. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Awesome. They know what they're getting with this guy. This could be the beginning of the writing on the wall for Satele. Thats not good. We thought we had a perennial pro bowler in Samson. However, I wouldn't throw out the notion of SS moving to right guard. I've got my popcorn ready for this one.:jt0323:

cnc66 likes this.
  3. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Once I saw who we were looking at I figured it would be the C and maybe moving SS to RG. No kiddin'.

4. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think Johnson is going to do anything for you Satele is not.

GISH likes this.
  5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    The way I recall it, Tuna and Co thought Johnson was to soft to start in Dallas, so they drafted Gourode(?) and he was not resigned.

Doubtful he plays, Satele is still making line calls, so unless they start him at C, move SS to Right Guard, there just is no real room for him to play, and he has been out of the NFL for quite some time.

Now watch him start against the Bills...:lol:

GISH likes this.
  6. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    I don't think Satele is a Dolphin next year and here's why:

First of all, this signing is not what led me to believe this, but it pushes my theory.

Everyone fully knew that coming out of Hawaii Satele showed little or no evidence of being an effective run blocker. He has proven this to be true especially this season.

The fact that Satele is a liability in the Run game will not get by this Organizations Front office. Parcells, Ireland, and Sparano will, IMO, definitely be looking to replace Satele.

Moving him to RG will fix nothing. He will be the same liability at RG as he is at C in the Run game. He generates almost no push at the line of scrimmage and especially against the bigger DTs we all know he struggles.

Finally, Satele has value. He can be traded for a decent pick, IMO. I'm thinking a late 2nd or early 3rd (he has succeeded well in Pass blocking situations, he's young, and he has experience). If someone offers this up, I have no doubt Ireland and Co. will jump on the offer and look to fill the C position via Free Agency or Draft.

With respect to this season, I feel this signing was more for Johnson to compete for the RG spot. I don't think they have any intention of moving Satele until the offseason.

GISH likes this.
  7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, I think almost everyone is expendable via a trade, however Samson could be playing through injuries, and with more of a movement/positioning sort of game, with a weak shoulder he may not be healthy enough to run block even as well as he did last year.

8. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Well, I would venture to say that a team would need to be very desperate to trade for Satele before the draft. Unless its the Ravens (i dont know their situation at center), i dont think anyone would be willing to give up a 2nd round pick for a guy that is proven not to be the full package. That is unless there is a shortage of first-day caliber centers in the draft.

If they plan to move him, I'd think it would be after the start of next season. An injury could provoke a move of desperation. Miami can afford to draft a center AND keep Satele. Satele could compete at G, or even beat out the rookie. Either way, we need the depth. So it would really surprise me to see him gone before the draft.

9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I could see the Broncos going after Satele since Wiegmann is getting up there in age. He's surpassing his mid thirties.

GISH likes this.
  10. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Wow. Lotta reaching going on here.

The reason they did it was simple. We have no backup center. Alleman is taking more and more snaps from Indukwe at RG and all of his practice time goes there.

It's nothing more then a depth move.

unluckyluciano, gafinfan and funkdat like this.
  11. The Dude

The Dude Anti Jet

Sep 1, 2008
    ΥέΧª§

Sorry but no team is going to give a 2nd or 3rd for Satele.

cdz12250 and late again like this.
  12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Really? Alleman is showing more then he did his first two games?

I'd like to see it because Ndukwe is a limited player.

13. Califin

Califin Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Seem fair enough to assume this guy was let go, because he had no position to return to, as his rookie replacement apparently performed well enough to keep his job.

I take it this was a signing garnered from our priority status?

14. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    yep, yep and if the guy was even worth talking about he would of been he way before the 12, 13 whatever week were in.

15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Johnson got injured in Dallas and they had to turn to Gurode if memory serves me right. Gurode came out of Colorado as a G, not a C. He had to slide over to C because of the injury and played so well, they thought Johnson was expendable.

I think the reasons he was brought in were because of familiarity and versatility.

Conuficus likes this.
  16. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    well hell, if johnson is better than satele at C, im all for it. i dont know if thats the case though, only time will tell. If it turns out johnson is the answer that satele is not, i'd be all for satele at RG. or at least having him in a competition with thomas at the spot next year when he's healthy. if thats the case.... who do you all think wins that battle?

17. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    No offense, but this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Why would a team offer up a 2nd or even early 3rd for a lineman with these weaknesses?
    If a 2nd year player is worth a 2nd round pick to someone else, he's worth it to us as well.

18. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    SS would be better fit to go to a team that doesn't play 3-4 teams as much as we do, but we could also say that about just about every Center as well.

It's hard to get a good feel for how good Satele has or hasn't played because of the people he has to play in the AFC East.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  19. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    The problem with this is, it's not universally true. He's been very good at run blocking at times. He's actually dominated Vince Wilfork in their first three matchups. Something has seemingly changed this year, be it injury, scheme, etc.

cnc66 likes this.
  20. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    The part about Gurode is what remember too. He was their starter at G, and basically he just outplayed Johnson in the end I think.

Yeah pate, we've talked about both of those before. I just remember seeing him being on the move last year a great deal more than he is this year so far. I'm not talking about on screens etc., but as in pulling, I think we trapped a great deal more last year as well. This year Satele is being asked to stay in more and handle guys, whilst the scheme looks for the G's to get to the second level a lot more than last year. Satele was like another FB in many ways last year for this team IIRC, he was usually involved in those big runs Ronnie had early in the season.

That brace he now wears is telling as has been discussed as well. We'll see if the knife is used to help that situation.