1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins review: Grading Ja'Wuan James

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Sceeto, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    http://espn.go.com/blog/miami-dolphins/post/_/id/9154/dolphins-review-grading-jawuan-james

Decent breakdown. Overall, I think he did well for a rook. Definitely enough to give me some hope. He has to work on certain aspects of his game as would any rook, but I thought he did very well for his first NFL game. Tanne had decent time on that first drive.. Good stuff. :up:

2. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    U scared Mario Williams? Or nah?

3. Deerless Dice

Deerless Dice Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 30, 2013
    I found it amusing that Miami got crap for taking a RT at 19. This is after a RG was taken at 2, a RT at 6, and two other RTs at 11* AND 16 in this draft. After the previous year when a RT was taken at 1, 2, 4, 11 and 19. Granted two of those guys are playing LT now and more may play LT in the future it's not a completely apples to apples comparison, but I'm happy we got James and I'm happy he had a good debut, even if it was against the piss poor Falcons pass rush.

*Not 100% on Taylor Lewan, but I did find a depth chart that had him at RT with Oher as his backup. Other charts have him behind Roos, but I don't see how Lewan isn't in the starting lineup day 1.

4. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Ju'an will never be a road grader. He lacked power in the run game from what I saw. But he did decently. Better in pass pro.

5. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Pretty dang pleased w/ him so far and he's a class act.

6. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Thanks for the run down!

At this point, in the NFL, if he can pass pro, that will be huge (esp. after what happened last year).

Many NFL offenses run off the effectiveness of the pass (it was universally the opposite years ago) with a lot of sprint draws and other fakes/delays that create space. The way DE's are set up to attack the pass, teams can run effectively with OTs that are not overpowering. But, in a zone blocking scheme and if the passing game can be effective, James doesn't have to be a dominant run blocker (though, he may really improve in that area if he builds some strength and through good coaching). The way DE's are set up to attack the pass, teams can run effectively with OTs that are not oveowering. They can't run well, imo, if the interior of the OL is weak (and we still have work to do there).

I was pretty happy with him.

Sceeto likes this.