1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins RedZone problems...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MarinePhinFan, Oct 25, 2010.

1. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    First, I'd like to give credit to "pumpdogs" for bringing this up.

Even though Henne has played in 23 games, his RedZone attempts are way less than what another QB's would be in that same amount of time due to the WildCat.

Now, I think the WC has a time and place and it can work when used correctly. However, Henne's, hell the TEAMS, experience when they get close to the end zone, which is historically much tougher to move the ball from, is lacking because they've always ran from the WC formation.

Anyhow, he made a great point and I thought this subject would make a great thread.

What are your guys opinions?

(Henne haters...please stay away :up: )

MikeHoncho likes this.
  2. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    We play too conservative overall but especially in the red zone. Yesterday was a perfect example. I'd like to see more strikes to the endzone. Put it up high and let Marshall fight for it.

3. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Henne and Marshall are not clicking in the redzone, that is a very serious concern. That back shoulder throw to marshall yesterday should have been a touchdown. Marshall made the space, henne made the throw, they were just off by inches.

Henne has to get better situated with where marshall is going to be, or marshall has to get better at knowing where Hennes going to put it. I don't know whose fault it is, but they gotta get it figured out. They just keep missing each other.

Ike taylor had no chance to make that play, the ball was just not in the right place. that one hurt.

4. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    The red zone can be very difficult for a young qb. The throwing lanes are squeezed. The area you have is smaller and the margin of error is slight. Miami's red zone offense was top five last year so playcalling isn't the problem. The problem we have right now is our oline is better pass protecting thgan run blocking. This puts the ball in henne's hands and he is still learning how to attack it. It will come eventually

MikeHoncho likes this.
  5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Exactly, I would say this problem has a direct correlation with our peculiar running woes. I'm not sure what caused this problem, but I wonder if it had anything to do with the line tinkering.

6. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    not sure if that throw was Henne or Marshall ... it could have simply been a throw at the pilon ... then again, maybe not - hard to tell. If it was at the pilon, then its on Brandon - otherwise it was Henne. it's easy to say that Henne threw it a fraction of a second to early, Brandon could have gotten it if it was a tad later ....

regardless, these 2 aren't on the same page period and it shows .... and probably won't be until they work together in the off season ....

7. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    Great replies!

I'm just wondering if all the red zone woes are due more to the players (especially Henne,Marshall, Bess, Fasano) not having enough real-game experience to get on the same page and learn each other's intricacies than the actual play calling. I too think it will come in time with more experience. Now, I do believe Henning makes the wrong calls sometimes, but there has to be a point where the players have to execute the plays.