1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins quarterback Chad Henne asserting himself as alpha dog this offseason

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by GMJohnson, Jun 19, 2011.

1. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports...henne-asserting-himself-as-alpha-1542221.html

Contrary to popular belief, IMO Henne wasn't benched for poor play so much as poor leadership and failing to inspire and gain the confidence of his teammates ( & coaches?), areas of the game where Chad Pennington was superb.

My #1 criticism of Henne has always been his failure to understand/behave as though this was HIS team. He seemed like a guy along for the ride, keeping the seat warm until Pennington returned, and his teammates never seemed to respond to him, w/ the exception of berating him on the sidelines. Not a good sign. Of course there are on the field things he needs to clean up, but the intangibles are what I'll be watching for the most. I'm not falling for the banana in the tail pipe, I wont believe Henne has become a "leader" until I see him do it in games, encouraging or admonishing teammates when necessary, taking the blame for a loss, getting in Marshall's face and telling him who's team it is etc. OTA's dont prove anything IMO, but its a step in the right direction.

2. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Should there be a QB competition, I hope Henne gives it his all.

3. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I think we'll bring someone in, but the signs are pointing towards Henne being the guy for this year. I dont see us outbidding the the other QB needy teams for an Orton, Kolb or Palmer if he's traded. The FA pool doesnt offer anyone that would offer legit competition. IMO the whole idea of bringing in competition for Henne was to force him to step up and be "the guy", IF he steps up in the absence of credible competition then I'd be fine w/ that too. We'll still need a backup better than Brandstater though.

4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Interesting thought about the benching, I remember writing last year that maybe the benching was to show Henne how to lead a football team, how to create energy, how to motivate and inspire, so in that context I can see that it was deserved..However, the benching only caused him to lose any confidence he had..I could tell in his interviews he was a lost and uncomfortable with himself..

So in this case, maybe, just maybe, this type of offseason will benefit this player...To quote an overrated football player...''CAN'T WAIT''.

GMJohnson likes this.
  5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I think Henne had better show more then he has shown in camp or he will be not starting to begin the season.

This is a funny game, when Wake said he did not want to say anything about Henne as it may cause doubt, that spoke loudly, if Henne cannot handle the criticism from teammates he is in the wrong line of work, and this game eats the weak for breakfast.

6. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Hey, when it comes to Henne vs [Insert possible QB competition here], I'm neutral. I just want the best QB starting.

7. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Same here, I'm mostly neutral on Henne but believe there are good options on the market who can replace him.

We all know his weaknesses and strengths by now, the real question to me is do they bring in expensive Vet to try and knock him off of the throne, or do they sign "some dude" and hold a bull**** "competition" in camp when everyone knows the outcome is predetermined?

That to me is what has happened with Henne his first two seasons as the starter, he has always been the guy, they have not made a move for someone who is better, or could be better.

8. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I don't think Henne cares what Cam Wake thinks. If Wake said that then IMO it's because if he was to offer anything other than a glowing endorsement, some reporter or blogger would make into a story about how the Dolphins have no confidence in Henne. Media types are diggin deeeeeeeep for stories during the lockout. Hell, I just made a thread about how Henne is doing in practices where half the team isnt even there, and there's not a single coach in site for Chrissakes :lol:.

Pandarilla, MrClean and djphinfan like this.
  9. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    I would like to know more about this throne thing.

SICK likes this.
  10. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I heard what Wake said and it amazes me that some folks want to twist it into a veiled display of nonsupport for Henne.

Frayser and GMJohnson like this.
  11. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Any logical reason why he wouldn't?

12. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I think Henne will be their guy this season given the labor issues, an abbreviated or at the least unknown FA period, and crunch to get the team ready when/if the season starts. Pennington fell into their laps a few years back and was just what this team needed from a leadership viewpoint, although his physical limitations squashed his ability to move the team more forward. They have to be hoping for lightning striking again and Palmer falling into their laps, like Penny did...

I think, in Irish and Sparano's minds, they want to replace Henne...not because he is or is not capable, but because they are square on the hot seat themselves and don't have the time to wait to see if Henne comes around. Despite his inequities, he's got the ability to move this team. Much of his failures have more to do with the failures of the players around him, and that is what Irish and Sparano fear more than whether or not Henne is going to be a capable NFL QB.

So to answer the question...Yes, I think they go after another veteran QB and they hope it's a guy that can move their azzes off the hot seat....but that is independent of whether or not Henne is or can be that guy....

13. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    alpha or omega dog?
    it is what it is
    a tremendous opportunity for Chad Henne
    what he'll do with it no one knows
    one can only hope & put aside
    any negativity harbored from past performances
    :couch:

the guy has got a long way to go
    I wish him well on his journey :yes:

14. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I just want to win and go to the damn playoffs. If Henne is leading or not, I am done rooting hardcore for individual players and backing em' up like family. I like Henne, Ill root for him if hes doing well....if not? Bring in someone who will. I want the Dolphins to succeed. Period.

Pandarilla likes this.
  15. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Just give me a QB with tourettes so I don't have to look at any more of these alpha male articles...

16. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    All I heard from people here when I said the benching killed Henne's confidence was that I was full of it and had no idea what I was talking about. That he should be able to handle it without being a crybaby. That is the way the fans and the coaching staff treated their young QB. You bench a guy and push all the blame on him when it wasn't all his fault for the fiasco that was Pennington. Not a smart way to be treating a guy you should be developing. Hell Henning went in front of the entire world and threw him under the bus and Sparano backed him. I was absolutely losing my mind over these events and how it was handled. It really looked bad on this organization.

17. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

One interesting thing to note. By all objective accounts, the Cards sucked *** last year. Yet, in one of their worst games, Derek Anderson and Deuce Lutui were on the sidelines laughing it up. Anderson had JUST gotten there and won the starting job last season but even at the height of his poor play, the players still liked him. I just think he has to acclimate himself with the team and let them understand that it's his team...if he starts.

18. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    That's just because you don't want to have more kids to name after players though.

19. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    imo, you were right, and those people, including myself, were wrong....I think maybe, they thought he needed a lesson in leadership though, and after looking at the film very closely, its the only legitimate reason they got at this point..They had Pennington chompin at the bit, the team for whatever reason was playing lackluster football around Henne {maybe because they knew Penny was ready}, so they threw the old man in there maybe just to teach him one more lesson..Whether that was right or wrong in the big picture we will never know cause Pennington got hurt, however when the kid gets benched, gets no reps with the starters, gets humiliated and berated by his fanbase, yet comes in cold and plays well pulling out the victory, he should of earned a lot more respect than he did..

Killerphins likes this.
  20. Frayser

Frayser Barstool Philosopher

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    People forget something in the leadership debate over Henne and Pennington. I have vivid memories of Henne's first OTAs, and all I kept hearing about was his presence in the huddle. Guys were saying he had "it." They liked his cool-under-pressure, confident attitude. Now, Pennington came along and led us to that miraculous comeback season. But the next season, he led us to an 0-3 start. My buddy had great seats for the Falcons game and ended up next to the players' wives. He began speaking with one of them (I believe I said which one back in the Club Level when I first told this story but am going to hold back now . . . though it doesn't really matter). He asked her point blank on who the guys liked at quarterback. She said Henne. That might shock some people, but it only reaffirmed what I had already decided back then. As great a leader as Pennington was, his limitations were easily recognizable. That's why after the Colts game I called for him to be replaced.

Now, maybe the guys have lost that faith in Henne that they once had. Who really knows for sure? But I don't think that leadership ability just vanishes into thin air. And there was certainly enough wrong with last season to where blame can be spread around and not focused solely on Henne. The fact is that, while Dan Henning is gone, not only was Henne retained but it looks like they're content to let him start again. Would that be the case if he had really lost the team? The way I look at it . . . the team quit on Sparano in that last game against the Pats, not Henne. I think he is the one that has his work cut out for him, especially considering Henne is already building that support back up while he has to remain away from the team. The play of the quarterback will certainly be under the microscope this season, but the performance of the coach should be under even more scrutiny if you ask me.

The other thing worth noting about this situation is the absence of Brandon Marshall. I think that's a good thing. With any luck, when Brandon returns the guys in the locker room will pull him aside and say, "look, this is our guy and we need you to support him."

MrClean and GMJohnson like this.