1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins push in more chips as improbable turnaround continues

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jdang307, Nov 17, 2008.

1. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Dolphins push in more chips as improbable turnaround continues - NFL - CBSSports.com Football

This part sucked though because it's true:

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Yep, it's true.

Just a note of interest you can go to the game book PDFs on NFL.com and take a look at who has tackles on STs. Against the raiders Cobbs had a few and so did Torbor.

3. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Yeah cobbs had a very nice tackle on sp. teams against the raiders if i remember correctly. Tubor as well.

I'm sure our Coaching staff will figure it out and make it work so we limit the damage.

4. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Doesn't get much worse than 31 in punt coverage and 32 in kick coverage!

Our special teams coach should be fired. Today. If we had a player that was this bad, he'd get cut.

mullingan likes this.
  5. mullingan

mullingan New Grandbaby Pic!!!

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN
    Yeah there is something fundamentally wrong with the way we cover kicks. I don't know if its lane discipline or what but the ST Coach has had plenty of time to get this right.

6. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

True enough Jason...and worse than that, we're not giving our offense short fields to work with...driving 80 yrds for every score will catch up to us....we just aren't a good "quick strike" scoring team, despite the aberration in week 3 against NE with the Wildcat...

7. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Is there anything in the rules which would prevent us from maybe punting the ball on kickoffs? I think as long as we can get some nice hang time (from Fields), our defenders should be able to meet the defender around the 20 and even if we give up 10 yards, that is better than kicking it to the five yard line and watching their speedy return guys take it back to the 45.

8. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    If Dan Carpenter can pooch kickoffs like he did on the last kick yesterday every time, they would be set.

It was perfect.

9. Phin-o-rama

Phin-o-rama Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    did anyone else see the block in the back on the punt return? it happened right there in front of everyone...am i crazy or was that a legit block in the back that went uncalled?

Finfangirl likes this.
  10. Finfangirl

Finfangirl Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Bay Area, Ca
    Not that im excusing our special teams in anyway, because they really are bad...but there was a definite block in the back on whoever # 17 is. I saw it live and then i re watched it.

11. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    I thought so too. I was watching with a couple Raider fans and I'm yelling penalty and they're cheering their butts off.

12. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    may I suggest you go listen to Coach Sparano's presser from today. He covers that and makes a very good point. Aquavision

13. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    eh, it was close. but i mean whoever it was had over-pursued anyway. he probbably wouldn't have even gotten a finger on higgins

14. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Im gonna bring up something I havent heard mentioned yet, but does anyone wonder why the hell Keith Davis was cut?

Here was a guy who was brought in for two things.

1) Special Teams. He was the Special Teams captain in Dallas.
    2) Secondary depth.

After cutting this guy, we have the worst special teams in the NFL and our secondary was abysmal through the first 2 games of the season.

15. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

here are keith davis' stats for the year

Team Tackles Interceptions Fumbles
    G GS Total Solo Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int Yds Avg Lng TDs FUM Lost
    2008 Dallas Cowboys 10 5 20 15 5 0.0 -- 1 -- -- 0.0 -- -- -- --

Keith Davis

here are his stats from yesterdays game:

0 0
    K.Davis 3 0 3 0.0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

the three is tackles for regular defensive plays

16. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Maybe so, but Bonamego has run excellent ST units everywhere he's been. While firing him would make people happy, Im starting to think he's not the blame. The biggest problem with our ST's is a lack of talent on the bottom of the roster. It's plain and simple, most of the guys on the unit, just.... arent good. The offseason will see many signings of special teams only guys i suspect.

17. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    As a fan this week....IAM ALL IN BABY!!!!. i dont care how bad our special teams are, iam not letting that curb my enthusiasm...our team needs us, their hungry and their unified and they deserve our best effort.

18. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans

I just watched it. Not really impressed with his answer, and I love the guy's press conferences. Yes, other than the big kick return, our ST played really well yesterday. However, over the course of the season, we've sucked in kick coverage big time. I don't want our starters to get hurt either, but 30 teams are better at kick coverage than we are, and it aint cause Sparano is the only HC in the league that doesn't play his starters on ST.

On a related note, we're 6-4 and our biggest weakness is our kick and punt coverage. I'll take it!

Also, I really liked his answer to the question if the Dolphins "play down to the level of their opponent." He's a smart dude.

19. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    It doesn't matter if the guy had overpursued, it was still a block in the back. It should have been called, and the return negated. Seriously, how many returns ha Ginn had negated by holds and blocks in the back that occurred behind him, or nowhere near him?

20. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    Both sides of special teams blow *** right now on coverage and return.

We do better by downing in the end zone or calling a fair catch because then we at least aren't going backwards - seems to be by far the weakest area of the team is on holding / blocking on returns.

Maybe we should find a safety that can kick the ball off really well so he can tackle those s.o.b.'s when they come screaming through the first two waves of defenders that seem to knock themselves out of the way trying to make a tackle.

There are a few good special teamers but as a unit they blow.