1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins' Pennington relishes his role

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by NJFINSFAN1, Aug 24, 2009.

1. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    He doesn't really mind that the Dolphins used second-round picks in each of the past two NFL drafts on quarterbacks, Chad Henne and Pat White.

He isn't thinking about undergoing two shoulder surgeries, being benched as a starter and ultimately being released by the team (Jets) that originally drafted him in the first round 10 years ago.

He isn't basking in his victory resurrection in 2008, when he led the Dolphins, who had finished with a 1-15 record in 2007, to an 11-5 season and an AFC East title.

Good story, read the rest here.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp09/columns/story?columnist=mortensen_chris&id=4416470

2. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I love what Pennington did last year but his arm strength is still bothering me from what I've been reading in the preseason games. If we could graft Chad Henne's arms and Pat White's legs onto Pennington, we'd have the best QB ever to walk the face of the earth.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  3. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    not to mention the wierdest looking QB ever

4. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    I think Chad is great.
    His talent, his attitude and him being such a "team" guy is just what we have needed for a long time.
    I still think we should count the positives of having him on our team and let go of all the negativity about his arm strength. Why can't we just enjoy the fact that he's been there for the team all the way?

This is mine & sebos son, so lay off our boy. :tantrum: He's a keeper. :up:

PhinsRock, late again and NJFINSFAN1 like this.
  5. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    so glad we have Penny right now. After watching the re air even more so. He is actaully into the game the whole time, on the sideline watching and cheering on the backups. I watched the Cowboys game and as soon as Romo was out he was on the bench talking and joking around, totally oblivious to what was going on.

6. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Exactly right debbie. We've been without a reliable QB for 10 years now, and now some want to put so much emphasis on his shortcomings.
    Sorry but I'm just happy that QB isn't a worry for the first time in years.

7. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I'm just a guy who wishes we always improve. :wink2: Even if it's not replacing but the actual player improving himself.

I heard Penny did some things to try and improve his arm strength. Lets hope so, because I miss those exciting deep pass plays. Arching floaters (which we've all read about the first two games) get picked off by aggressive defenses.

8. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I heard (read) Penny and Sparano talk about how much stronger Penny's arm is after this offseason work he and David Lee put in on his mechanics and not having to bounce back from injury. He's also got another year exp. in our O schemes, and with our WR's, so IMHO we have not been shown what Penny has really got under the hood this preseason. I think that will be unleashed when it is a needed surprise in the regular season games when it counts.

We are so incredibly better off with Penny and Henne & White still have at least a year's worth of learning to do under Penny. I cannot understand why anyone who cheers for the Fins would have any bad thing to say about Penny, including his arm. He is the most accurate passer for his CAREER (highest completion percentage) of any QB in the NFL for God's sake!

I thank heaven we got Penny, and can't wait to see him tear up the league this season. He will also have a better OL and improved running game in the standard offense. IMHO that may make our O absolutely lethal this season. I'm way more concerned about our WR's than I am about Penny. And I think we're in pretty good shape at WR too! :up:

dolphindebby likes this.
  9. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    gentleman we can rebuild him, nu nunununu
    we have the technology nununununu
    better, strong, faster nunununu

10. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    he has already rebuilt & reinvented himself
    Pennington is the New Face of the Miami Dolphins
    the Pennington Renaissance continues :yes:

dolphindebby likes this.
  11. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Doood, don't go there. The best thing about Lee Majors is his ex-wife may she rest in peace.

Penny certainly has been a god-send. Does anybody remember exactly what we had to give up for thisd kid :lol:

He obviously has the smarts and moxie. So his arm isn't in line with Billy-Joe overthrow or Jeff George. Manby QB's have been very very sucessful with less tools than Penny has.
    As mentioned, it is such a relief to not have to worry about QB competency when he is in there.

Also, I imagine Henne relishes the chance to learn from Penny :up:

dolphindebby likes this.
  12. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    he better if he wants to learn how to be a great leader.....

dolphindebby likes this.
  13. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    pennington is the answer :yes: