1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins now look like a football team

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan7171, Jul 30, 2009.

1. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I figured this might be something we might want to talk about.

"A year later, Tony Sparano can laugh about his first impression of the Miami Dolphins.

The team he took over in early 2008 was coming off a 1-15 season, the worst in franchise history. It showed when Sparano conducted offseason workouts.

“It sometimes didn’t really look much like football out there,” Sparano says with a smile. “A little bit of rugby, a little bit of other things going on, but not a whole lot like football all the time.”

Then came a sudden transformation. The Dolphins went 11-6 in 2008, climbing from worst in the NFL to first in the AFC East. They ended a seven-year postseason drought and became the first team in league history to make the playoffs a year after winning only once."

Click here for the rest of the article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...ubYF?slug=txdolphinsrevival&prov=st&type=lgns

2. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I don't know about you guys but this gets me excited about how the season could look for the Dolphins.

3. finserg

finserg Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ
    Im not gonna get worked up, I rather wait and see.

Larry Little and dolfan7171 like this.
  4. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    That makes sense. Thanks for posting.

5. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    I think a lot of us can say with strong conviction that it all starts in the FO and how football operations are handled.

We finally got a FO and a coaching staff that understood what it takes to be competative and find success in this league build on the pillars that are common with all winning teams over the history of the game.

They wanted to change the work ethic, done. THey wanted to first address the personnel on the lines. Done. Then they wanted to acquire players who are smart, strong, fast. Getting done. You need people in control to know what it takes, we finally have that. I realize last year was no fluke, we improved dramatically for a reason. I fully expect our team to get better and better all because of the FO and coaches we have.

6. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    If 'optimism' means confidence that we're no longer a doormat... then, yeah... I'm optimistic.

Realistically, there are reasons to be hopeful about this season, and there are reasons for pause. Right now, pretty much what anyone wants to believe can be justified due to the fact that this is such a 'new' team. We have young, unproven players at some very key positions. One year removed from such a dismal season, the Phins had success last year, but still have not truly established themselves in a tough division, and an even tougher conference.

This will be a very interesting year to watch... hopefully, it'll be a fun one for us Phin fans... however, there is good reason for both skepticism and optimism, IMHO.

We'll definitely get some clearer answers in pre-season. I'm on the edge of my seat.

dolfan7171 and The Aqua Crush like this.
  7. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    That's good stuff there. All good points.

8. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Good read, thanks for the link. This IS going to be a VERy interesting and FUN season. To become the best, you have to beat the best. Either we have another solid year and make the playoffs again, or the FO will know where they need to focus next offseason to get us there.

But make no mistake, we WILL get there! :up: And it is going to be a very fun ride!

dolfan7171 likes this.
  9. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That is a great point, for years we operated on the "Magic Coach" theory, Wany and Lil' Nicky would just make do and who needs a GM?

We all saw where that got us, a talented GM is as imported as a talented Head Coach, the two are not seperate entities, when Wayne H realized that and paired Mueller with Cameron, it was alread to late for that roster.

Exactly.

The Dolphins are finally no longer doormates or a collection of overpriced athletes hoping that the magic Coach will make it all better, we actually have talent now.

10. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    I like the idea of Miami looking like a real football team. It has a nice ring to it.

The Aqua Crush and dolfan7171 like this.
  11. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Yeah it does have a nice ring to it. Makes you want to pay attention even more than before. Watch every detail and every play. You don't want to miss a thing. That is how I feel about it.

12. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Actually, one thing I really like about this new team... the Phins are much bigger and stronger than they've been, relatively speaking, in a very long time. Since probably the early 70's. I'd love to see us get bigger at MLB, but right now, we're starting to field a pretty intimidating group of guys on both sides of the ball.

The Aqua Crush likes this.
  13. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    To be honest I feel as though I am cautiously optimistic after so many disappointments since Shula left(and to be real his last couple of years)I do think we finally are on the path to future success,even if is not this season.I am exited about the potential of this team.

14. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    can't wait for the season opener

15. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    :lol: You and everyone else on this board... bring it on already!