1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins Notebook: Ronnie Brown unfazed by injured hand

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by TiP54, Aug 18, 2008.

1. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2008/08/18/0818ronnie_brown.html

and

and

Somebody said he didn't play vs Jags.

2. shaunm000

shaunm000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Oviedo
    Forgive me for asking.... but whats the big deal? Are they worried about fumbles?

3. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    He should not be worried about the injury. Why should he be? He is left handed so carring the ball is not going ot be a problem and he has been through worst injurys so a sprianed thumb is not going to affect him.

4. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

It doesn't appear this is an injury that will hold him back any...the issue, to me is not his thumb but that he is still playing a little slow and tentative...the knee doesn't seem to bother him, but he still is thinking about it... That is probably why he's listed behind Ricky right now...

5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah, that seems to be the mental aspect that he needs to get over. I know that was one of his problems and it still seems to be one of them. If he doesn't get it together mentally, he may never be the same again.

As for the thumb injury, I'm not too worried about it. I think that if he can still cover the ball up, he'll be fine.

6. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Who said he didn't play yesterday? I swore I saw a guy with the name Murphy on his jersey today when I watched the game.

7. BrazForPhins

BrazForPhins From south

May 4, 2008
    All these misleading reports surrounding Brown will only diminish his fantasy ADP which will help me once again. Thanks midia.

8. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

9. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL

who is midia? Is she hot?

WharfRat and TheAnswer385 like this.
  10. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    You know what, now that I think about it, it was Thomas I saw. I wanted to keep my eye on him. Before I fell asleep - not because of the game, it's my after work nap :D

11. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    You presume everyone in fantasy drafts are well-informed. I've found this to not be the case, especially when three QBs go in the first round.

12. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    I know that everbody is infatuated by Ricky right now but by midseason Ronnie will be a beast again. As long as he doesn't have any more injuries I think he's ready to step up and contribute as he did last year which I'm sure drives him. I honestly think Sparano is saving wear and tear on him during the preseason intentionally while also getting Ricky more carries because he hasn't played much football the last couple years.

CrunchTime likes this.
  13. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    It could affect his stiff arm which he needs to work on anyway.

IMO thats the only quality Ricky has on him besides seeming know where to cut when he is downfield.

I would like to see a healthy Ronnie running behind the new OL whose surges are getting the RBs 3 yrds before they start to run.

14. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    wait, carson palmer is available at #11? sweet! suckers, you're missin' out :tongue2:

in reality though, I don't see the thumb being that big a factor in whatever decision the front office plans to make with ronnie. though he better be staying on this team. a young stud rb only a few years into the league is just what we need on a rebuiding team. and we might not be as far away as people think. I believe we'll be back in the playoffs before ronnie is 30. and, sorry ricky, i don't trust you enough yet to leave you as the sole back. I dont want to go through the season with cobbs and parmele as our featured backs.

15. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    Can a sprained thumb cause all this trouble? I just can't see a Zonk, Thomas, or most of the older players being put through the press ringer for a strained thumb. Didn't some of the old players play with broken fingers, bones etc.? There aren't as many "really true hard core" ballplayers anymore. :no: I'm not saying there's not any talent, just more babying of the players when they need to get out there and play with these small injuries. Not talking about head injuries etc.

16. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    1st, defensive players don't have to worry about securing the football every time they touch it, and stiff arm guys as they run through a hole. A hand injury for a skill player on offense is a completely different animal than a defensive player with the same injury.

2nd, players health is of far greater concern nowadays than back then, because the financial investment is so great today.

3rd, your notion that there aren't as many "really true hard core" ballplayers is a bit misguided IMO. These players are going to have lives after football, and most want to be able to enjoy it, not be restricted like many players who were "hardcore."

4th, It's ****ing preseason!! Why have him play when he is hurt and risk further injury when the game doesn't matter?

PS: Your beloved Zonk missed 3 games in 1968 and 3 more in 1969 because of injuries.

17. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Calm down, buddy...

18. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I'm sorry. Football was not better in the yesteryear. Everyone gets all misty eyed over nostalgia, but that is because the better parts are what you remember, the bad parts get glazed over in time.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  19. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Can't they immobilize the thumb and he could still use the hand to stiff arm an opponet?
    If they can immobilize the thumb then his running shouldn't be effected much at all except for being able to switch hands.

dolphindebby likes this.
  20. dolphindebby

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    1st, I was giving my opinion and just mentioned a few names. I wasn't talking about just defense. I also was referring to the media frenzy over any little injury.

2nd, They weren't a financial investment back then? I imagine the investment and health was just as great a concern then.

3rd, I don't think I'm mis-guided. I don't want any player hurt. I was not talking about debilitating or crippling injuries, just minor ones.

4th, You don't have to curse in a post to me, even if it is your little ****'s.
    I was just stating my opinion and hoping for some good feedback on the subject. Plus, I never said anything about "preseason" games.

ps, And as for my beloved Zonk. He was a great player. I didn't have the privilege of watching in the 60's, I started in the 70's. And he played hurt.

21. dolphindebby

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    I've always loved the Dolphins. And I don't get misty eyed over nostalgia. I've loved this team for 36 years and never wavered in pulling for them. Yes, I do like the old players, I enjoy their interviews and talking about them. And I see nothing wrong with it! I love this team to and if I'm living in 30 some years, I'll probably be talking about them also.
    I also remember the bad parts and don't glaze over them. Just because some one brings up something about the older team and guys doesn't take anything away from the newer guys.
    Football was as good in the yesteryear. I loved it and I still do.
    These are my opinions, no one else's. I don't mind different opinions and views, or, even debates. I just don't appreciate anyone acting like I'm just being a homer or being stupid.

22. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    You mentioned two players specifically, one being a defensive player, the other being a RB from a completely different era. You never once mentioned the media.

I disagree. The salary for someone like Zonk was under $50k, which while a lot back then, still doesn't compare to the $3+ million Ronnie is making. And I also disagree about health being as great as a concern (from a players own opinion and the team's).

I'm sure you don't think you're misguided, it is your opinion, just like it is mine. Neither of us will think we are misguided in our own opinions. And you weren't talking about crippling injuries, but the players you mentioned suffered numerous concussions during their careers (and played with them), and that can have a debilitating effect later in life (yet in the initial post it talks about it being ok for players to be held out because of head injuries).

The curse was not at you, but rather at your post. A more generalized reactionary curse. And as to the *'s, you can thank Muck and Celtkin (by default), because that is not what I wrote. And yes, you never mentioned preseason, but the post was talking about babying players, and players not playing hurt anymore, and my reaction was about how it would be dumb to play hurt in preseason.

I know he played hurt. Every football player plays "hurt," most just don't play "injured."[/QUOTE]

23. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Seemed like the post was trying to take away from current players when it says: "There aren't as many "really true hard core" ballplayers anymore."

And I never said I thought you were being a homer or stupid.

24. dolphindebby

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    [/QUOTE]

I just can't see a Zonk, Thomas, or most of the older players being put through the press ringer for a strained thumb

25. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    So why did the post even talk about there not being "as many hardcore football players anymore" if it was only an indictment of the media?

Also, reading the article, I don't see how it is a "ringer" by the press. They didn't even say anything bad about him. All they did was report the injury and Brown's outlook.

26. dolphindebby

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    I never wanted to take away from current players, I was just saying, IMO, I didn't think they played as hard and gutsy. Some do.

I didn't say you "said" I was a homer or stupid, but the insinuation seemed to be there.
    I look at it this way, this is a forum to post our thoughts & opinions to be discussed etc. I don't feel the need to talk down to anyone I don't agree with.

27. dolphindebby

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    As you should know, it's hard to write things to sound the way they would if we were speaking to each other. Maybe it came out wrong, but you're nit-picking every thing I said.
    As for the press ringer, I was referring to the press taking every little thing, blowing it up, lying at times and causing a bunch of speculation. Meaning--it wasn't like that in the olden days.
    I'm done arguing about this, nothing I say now will be taken like I mean it, so what's the use.
    I also am intelligent enough to know that you younguns are more knowledgeable about the ins and outs of the game and players where I just know what I do and don't like. I"ve admitted on here a lot, that I count on all my friends here to help me. And they do.
    It's all good stitches, it's all good!

Finrunner likes this.
  28. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I apologize, when I hear "ringer," I think "left out to dry." As in the press was beating the player up about it and such.

Finrunner likes this.
  29. dolphindebby

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    Thanks, you're a nice guy stitches.
    Friends???

Finrunner likes this.
  30. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Only if their are benefits. :shifty:

:lol::cuddle:

Finrunner likes this.
  31. dolphindebby

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    Ok, I'll treat you like my son. He's 12 years older than you.
    Deal?
    :bighug:

Finrunner and Stitches like this.
  32. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey

Last time I checked, you catch with two hands, get the handoff with both hands, block with both hands.

Yes its a concern, he just thinks it will be better with a week off.